PDA

View Full Version : stock air intake?

89sp1.8
29-05-2005, 08:46 PM
hey idoes anyone know wat the thing is attatched to the airflow meter is,and wat it does?im looking at getting a pod filter,but im will have to remove this thing or run a pipe down to the front bumper (which would probably be better) anyways can anyone tell me wat it does and would replecing it with a pod filter be better?

chicaboo
29-05-2005, 09:56 PM
If it's the funny square bulge, leave it there, it actually gives you power. Talk to Nate about it...

Gav.

Nate
29-05-2005, 10:22 PM
it gives you more power :p you are better off running a proper cold air feed to your stock air box and replacing your filter with a high performance K&N one which will save you money ni the long run as it is washable andyou dont have to keep replacing it like you stock one!

why more power? pod filters, unless enclosed in a proper box, suckwarm air from your engine bay, and altough have a better flow rate are sucking warm air resulting in a negative effect ;) ... i now i have tired ;)

chicaboo
29-05-2005, 10:41 PM
The hot air thing doesn't rob power, I've test SRI vs CAI on the dyno, engine temp goes up, but only the AFR suffered. Which is loss of economy...

89sp1.8
30-05-2005, 01:28 PM
ok sweet thanx

twilightprotege
30-05-2005, 01:32 PM
gav is does rob power.

the dyno adjusts for that air temp so that if the air was a lot lower on the next dyno day it gives the same results.

in real world conditions, and if the dyno didnt adjust for air temp, you would have a good amount less power.

Raven
02-06-2005, 10:18 PM
I took the air box out of mine refited the air flow sensor and put a pod filter onto it, sounds much nicer and I got a bit more power just out of the air flow. I had a pipe running from the nose but due to all the dust on the dirt road i am on i have taken it off the end of the pod filter for now to reduce the crap(<-- technical word) getting sucked up. Less having to wash and re oil the pod filter.