PDA

View Full Version : SP20 Turbo kit

Fro-Daddy
06-06-2005, 03:51 PM
hey all, new here, just wondering if there are any bolt on turbo kits for the SP20? if not, what size turbo is best suited to the engine for street use?

ive looked on the greddy site, greenline, mohd parts and a few others n came up with nothing...so any help is appreciated

ta

goldsp
06-06-2005, 04:09 PM
yeh i there is two companies that do a kit for the sp20. someone else will tell you more .

twilightprotege
06-06-2005, 05:19 PM
www.msprotege.com. look in the forced induction section.

chicaboo
06-06-2005, 08:21 PM
You guys are farken useless. Look at www.hiboost.com http://www.mentaladdictionmotorsports.com and www.protegegarage.com (if you want to get stuffed around...).

Gav.

anton
07-06-2005, 05:51 PM
lol... go Gav

Fro-Daddy
08-06-2005, 05:35 AM
haha thanx man, that hiboost looks nice, might look into it!

woofy
08-06-2005, 09:42 AM
haha thanx man, that hiboost looks nice, might look into it!
I'd say to do it properly though, you'd be looking at the "other" things hiboost suggest like forged pistons, and a whole lot of reinforcing going on...my best bet would be at least 10k all up if you don't want the car to fall apart.

chicaboo
08-06-2005, 12:35 PM
Exhaust, rods and clutch is really the only thing he needs to do that's not in the kit. But the rods aren't necessary until you go over 8psi, which is good for 180kW (135kW) ATW anyway... I'm retarded and can't find the website for Street Dreams, but you could have a look for them, they used to import the HiBoost kit, but I'm not sure they do anymore, and the kit has been revised twice since they had it advertised...

Gav.

bradsp20
08-06-2005, 12:50 PM
wish i had turbo :(

Fro-Daddy
08-06-2005, 02:55 PM
the street dreams kit doesnt exist anymore really...its nowhere on their site at all...

on google it comes up with the link also, but when you click it says it isnt there...

the kit is AU5k, what you reckon shipping would be? install can mostly be done myself...maybe just oil and water lines i need someone else to do...

chicaboo
08-06-2005, 05:24 PM
I would've thought the oil and cooler lines were the easiest part. If you get the US kit you need to get a Haltech R8 or something to adjust the ignition I think, I understand it's to retard the timing so you don't detonate on our ****ty fuel at 8psi... I think you also need to decide which ECU you get with the turbo if you go that way, Haltech E6K or F10X are you options there, E6K being the better of the two...

Shipping, hmmm, send an email to Jaun at HiBoost and see what he has to say, or ask him how much the weight and dimensions of the product will be. Now I haven't seen Doug (Wiredone) pipe up on this, but he was talking about being a vendour of the HiBoost kit at one time, but it wasn't on his site last time I checked too...

Gav.

tidy protege
10-06-2005, 11:23 PM
the street dreams kit doesnt exist anymore really...its nowhere on their site at all...

on google it comes up with the link also, but when you click it says it isnt there...

the kit is AU5k, what you reckon shipping would be? install can mostly be done myself...maybe just oil and water lines i need someone else to do...

apparently street dreams has closed for a little while until they find a new place to lease and right now to my knowledge wiredone AKA doug is selling the kits in Australia if anyone wants one i was speaking to him at autosalon about it and the pricing for the kit isnt quiet as scarey as it used to be.

HI-RES
11-06-2005, 11:32 AM
not sure about the 2.0 kit but the 1.6ltr hiboost kit is 4200us + 300us approx shipping
converted to aust say $6000 aud + gst & customs declarations probably around $6700-7000 total.

add your extra parts to that plus install/tuning/dyno etc you'd be lucky if you got change out of 10 grand for a decent setup. not sure bout the sp20 but the 1.6 needs an aftermarket bumper too to fit the intercooler

chicaboo
11-06-2005, 12:52 PM
In the SP20 you just modify or remove the stiffening brace behind the bumper. As for the 1.6, I think it's a good chance to get a Sport20 Jspec bumper!

Fro-Daddy
13-06-2005, 11:46 AM
thanx for that info chicaboo

Fro-Daddy
30-06-2005, 06:48 PM
ive tried pm'ing wiredone and no response, he still around?

ive tried emailing hiboost...no response, although it might have been filtered through dodgey hotmail...

tidy protege
30-06-2005, 11:41 PM
ive tried pm'ing wiredone and no response, he still around?

ive tried emailing hiboost...no response, although it might have been filtered through dodgey hotmail...

Best thing to do would be to set up a user account on Msprotege and pm Juan AKA Hiboost and he will get back to you, he has been very helpful with me in the past giving me some advice about turboing my car.

Doug is still around but i think he is very busy, try again or even email him as im pretty sure he has his own store now and you may be able to contact him through that.

If all else fails make an ATTENTION post to him in the "TURBO BEFORE AUTOSALON thread which was started by preeman80" and he will see you there as he frequently posts in that thread.

wiredone
01-07-2005, 06:24 PM
i am here, sadly upon looking at pm i didn't get it, which is weird as i have email notification on, ask away and i'll respond as best i can.

Fro-Daddy
01-07-2005, 06:41 PM
well basically, what size is the cooler piping?
do i get the choice of ecu or is it nominated by you?
how much is the kit posted to Brisbane?
bolt on and drive away? (ie, is extra tuning NEEDED?)
what size exhaust is recommended?
does it foul the suspension or anything? (i dont see why it would)
street legal? (as in emmsions and stuff)

thats about for now...ill post more when i think of them :P

thanx mate :)

wiredone
01-07-2005, 06:59 PM
Answers answers answers:

cooler piping size:
2" off the turbo
2 1/2" onto the throttle body

ECU:
Your get a choice but seeing the Haltech is a top of the line unit and we have successfully got it working AND tuned i highly recommend it. Also a friend of mine was the head engineer at Haltech for 8 years so he really knows them (and i mean really knows them)

Postage:
I would have to weigh it and get a price but i would try and cover most of the shipping in the price to keep costs low.

Bolt on?
yes and no. You can drive, although i don't recommend anyone does such a thing without a full tune on the car, every car is different and every setup will slightly be different. Let me put it this way, the maps we give you get you 90% of the way but i'd personally be getting a tune (just like fitting a base mapped power fc on a skyline)

Exhaust size:
Bigger the better as long as cats are kept (i would replace with high flow varieties my self) and noise is kept below the legal limits in your state there is no problem. But as with any turbo application, bigger and straighter is always better. The difference between running turbo on stock and aftermarket exhausts is massive, in both throttle response and overall power.

fouled anything?
No. Except a clutch replacement at 8psi everything should be happy. I ran on stock suspension engine mounts etc. I would recommend the front and rear AWR engine mounts as you start to get weaks mounts after a while ie.a year (the engine rocks hard when changing on flat stick). And i also recommend bigger brakes...

Street legal?
This all depends on a couple of things. Supplied with the kit is a plumb back blow off valve. This needs to be plumbed back. Also the pod filter needs to be re plumbed to either an out of engine area (like TDK has done with his front bar in front of the left wheel) or have an air box placed around it to be fully street legal.
Depending on how much power the car uts out you may need to get aftermarket disks and pads to pass an engineers inspection. The kit is very safe and as you can see very little needs to be done to become untouchable.

The kit is very easy to install (under 2 days) and this alone makes it worth the money as there is nothing like fitting a turbo just by booking your car in and driving out with boost and a blow off valve.

twilightprotege
01-07-2005, 08:02 PM
street legal - our rules are very different to nsw in qld. definately check it out with an engineers first

Fro-Daddy
01-07-2005, 11:34 PM
thanx for those answers man...and in the same too!

wiredone
02-07-2005, 05:33 AM
in the same? i don't understand

chicaboo
02-07-2005, 08:03 AM
Doug, does your kit use the new intake plumbing (black now) to the throttle body like Juan's does? I noticed that at Autosalon you have the original (goes over vavle cover) one on yours. Just wondering, as Juan is on his 3rd intake design I've noticed.

Gav.

Fro-Daddy
02-07-2005, 09:03 AM
in the same day...i always miss out the important words :P

wiredone
02-07-2005, 01:56 PM
Doug, does your kit use the new intake plumbing (black now) to the throttle body like Juan's does? I noticed that at Autosalon you have the original (goes over vavle cover) one on yours. Just wondering, as Juan is on his 3rd intake design I've noticed.

Gav.

I assume your talking about the cold side of the turbo (inlet side, from the pod filter)

I have a modified version of the original (modified to suit my fuel rail and intake manifold)

As i recommended if you get the kit i recommend doing a plumb sytem down into the bar, it is hard with the new piping if requested to make it clear the bonnet nicely because of our australian kit having a different coolant temp fitting location right under this pipe.

The kit we sell does use the new heat shield though even though i don't have it (my turbo doesn't fit under it)

Fro-Daddy
02-07-2005, 05:04 PM
so will anything have to moved or removed? you keep the aircon right?

wiredone
02-07-2005, 07:24 PM
nothing will have to be moved...

you use our custom power steering hose bracket to move the power steering out of the way but apart from that it stays stock...

i have been pulled over by highway patrols and they have not defected the turbo because the manifod was so clean and cast they thought it had to be factory... =p

Fro-Daddy
03-07-2005, 09:23 AM
hehe cool

whats the availablitlity on the kits? what turbo is it? coz all it says on the site is that its a WRC BB turbo...

wiredone
03-07-2005, 01:58 PM
the turbo is a IHI vf-22 off an STI.... it is still the biggest HP turbo bolt on for a WRX

availability... well if your highly interested i can put together prices for you... you will be looking between 6500-7500 landed, although you need to be prespared for customs etc... which is an external cost.

This is usually the part where everyone goes "man waht a rip off" so i will await your reply.

Fro-Daddy
03-07-2005, 07:31 PM
haha nah im not saying that...although the price on the site converts to under 5k, so 1.5k shipping does seem a bit excessive for these parts...ever had a rough price on what customs can be?

im only getting prices for the future, im not looking at doing this tomorrow or the next day, maybe in a few months or so when ive sorted some crap out...

thanx for all your info and patience mate, will get back to asap!

wiredone
03-07-2005, 10:14 PM
yes but our kit is different, our kit bolts on to an aussie car with no hassles (and i can tell you there is hassles) our kit pays for a fuel engine management (E6X) not just a fuel controller(F10) (a big difference in price between them) ours runs maps for aussie cars with correct aussie barometric correction etc... ours gets past the fact that the aussie ECU is different from the american version and not so happy with being replaced, especially our alternator which will not run if you don't know how to set it up right, and you have a full PCB design for the ECU so you can work around it... All this information has been worked out for you and the time of these people has been paid for by me....

plus your buying from someone who has been there and done that and will help you all the way...

quite a few bonuses for a non expensive setup.... =) (and for what you get and how quickly you get it it is cheap, and i will fight anyone to the death over this...lol specially after me not having my car for so long just for everyone elses sake)

Buying the american version and modifying it is an option, because although i have a distributor agreement with hiboost it seems they are more than happy to talk directly with customers about it. But i strongly advise against it as i know first hand the battle it was to have the car on the road 100% happy and the people i was having work on it really knew they're stuff so experience is not the issue here... and at the end of the day that is what everyone wants, not everyone has a show car they can afford to leave at a workshop for months to get it working, us everyday drivers need to get to work somehow =)