PDA

View Full Version : HOW TO: Removing your BA Dash

USDISC
08-06-2005, 09:33 PM
I'm soon to be removing the dash of my hardtop to customise my dials etc... and was wondering how many of you have done this before, are there any tips or tricks you can let me in on because ive heard horror stories where the whole dash has been cracked :o

-BraXta-
08-06-2005, 09:43 PM
Patience..

Think what your doing before you yank at it ..

And remember Patience =P

lol ... im doin the same soon too man =D

so ill be in your boat =P

what colour you doin ?? im doin mine blue

USDISC
08-06-2005, 09:52 PM
I'm either going chrome or blue, I might have a go at doing a mazda symbol or somthing kewl around the dials. I'm also retriming the doors and seats in blue to match robprice.

chicaboo
08-06-2005, 09:58 PM
While the dash is out put some felt on anything that looks like it could rattle against something else.

USDISC
08-06-2005, 10:07 PM
Good idea i noticed a rattle the other day... Any idea how easy it is to replace the LED's behind the dials, buttons etc...

project.r.racing
08-06-2005, 10:08 PM
you can get dials for the BA/BJ/BG astinas from austria that have an anodised loong with the mazda flying wing on them. they come in blue and red. just a swap over for the old dials.

Ryan

-BraXta-
08-06-2005, 10:15 PM
One way to change dash colour (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4452)

ROB - 80E posted a good way without spending too much cash =D

im goin into that direction =D

Tublade
09-06-2005, 10:58 AM
its not too hard to take that dash off i've done it so many times i've lost count.

Rupewrecht
09-06-2005, 02:07 PM
ditto - i've even written a tutorial that i send out with the dials that i make for the BAs

---

Move both your front seats forward to expose the screws on each side of the Centre console, located on each side near the rear of it. Remove the screws, and lift the Centre console up a little.

Now grasp each side of the front of the console on the lower edges, and pull outwards. This should release the two clips that hold it in place. Now pull it towards the rear and that will release the 2 clips that hold the top of it in place. Now slide the whole console towards the gearknob to get it over the handbrake.

Remove the gearknob by twisting it anti-clockwise until it comes off in your hand.
Now undo the two screws that hold the centre console in place that are located just below the gear area. Using your fingernails, pop out the centre of the plastic clips that are located on each side of the centre console in the footwell area, and slide the console towards you. You can remove the front centre console completely if you wish, but it’s not absolutely necessary. Remember to unplug the cigarette lighter plug if you do!

Pop out the panel on the right hand side of the dash (that is hidden when the door is closed), and undo the 2 screws that hold the lower part of the dash on. Pull the lower part towards the drivers side, and pop it over the tabs.

Pull the trim below the steering column down carefully towards the floor, and this should release the push-in clips that hold it on either side of the steering column. Once loose, pull the trim piece horizontally towards you. This should release the 2 clips that anchor the trim piece at each of its lower corners. Be careful not to break these! As per the centre console, it’s not necessary to completely remove this item.

Unscrew the 2 screws located on each side of the steering column on the bottom edge of the instrument cluster cover. These are located roughly near each lower corner of the instrument cluster. You should now be able to pull the instrument cluster cover off. This is held on by numerous clips, but by pulling horizontally forward they should all pop out, and the cluster cover will come towards you.

Now lower the steering column down, then pull the cluster cover towards you, but don't pull it too far - as all the switches for the dimmer/driving lights are still attached. Reach behind the cover and undo them. Now undo the plugs for the clock/hazard lights/rear demister as well. It’s easier to undo the white plugs rather than pop the actual switches, too. Now you can remove the cluster cover completely.

Cosmo Dude
09-06-2005, 06:44 PM
Dashes are like onions, you have to take one layer at a time and if you rush it you'll end-up crying. Follow Dans instructions for the first few times before attempting any shortcuts 'cos after a while you can remove the whole lot (door to door) in under 20 minutes :D thanks to the electric speedo.

-BraXta-
09-06-2005, 09:15 PM
ahhh see a hardtop question..

and rupe comes along with answers =D

lol

AstinaBoiV6
01-11-2005, 10:13 AM
Dashes are like onions, you have to take one layer at a time and if you rush it you'll end-up crying.

hahahahahahahaha haaha nice lol

Crocaine89
25-07-2006, 08:17 PM
old thread sorry, but i am curious on how long it takes to do this and where you can get led's from, autobarn etc? i want to do this as soon as i get my 323 (my auntie isnt ready to sell yet) and was wondering if i could do it on a weekend, or if i should wait for the school holidays =|

Rupewrecht
25-07-2006, 08:28 PM
About 5 minutes when you've had practice ;)

Leave yourself about half an hour to take it out until you're used to doing it though.

Crocaine89
26-07-2006, 06:16 PM
ok kool thanks :)

ari
04-02-2010, 07:03 PM
Thanx for the Info :)