PDA

View Full Version : MAJOR conversion

sOuL_323
26-06-2005, 10:11 PM
hey im lookin to swap over my auto 1.8L 1998 323 protege engine to an SP20 or even a V6 astina turbo engine, anything powerful and possibly manual... how can i go about it?? and is it possible at all 2 swap tha engines over and get it cheaper??

goldsp
26-06-2005, 10:40 PM
look away from the sp20 if you want power man , to much work needs doing to get power out of the sp20 engine

twilightprotege
27-06-2005, 06:23 AM
my suggestion would be an FE3 engine.

pr1mo
27-06-2005, 11:02 AM
haha an FE3 and some serious $$$

noones BPT'd an auto yet. could be ok? i dunno

twilightprotege
27-06-2005, 11:04 AM
there was an FE3 that went for sale on ebay last week for about $450.

Rupewrecht
27-06-2005, 11:08 AM
why not just a BPT?

BigMal
27-06-2005, 11:47 AM
Yes a BPT with a GSeries box would be your best move.
I was going to say the skies the limit from there but your a mexican
so no aftermarket ECU for you then.

sOuL_323
27-06-2005, 09:44 PM
i seee.......so as i gather a BPT engine wit a GSeries box is the best option, how muc ham i lookin at and how much 4 installation u think??? big job?? i was also thinkin of gettin a shift kit...

BigMal
27-06-2005, 11:10 PM
Why dont you just spit out how much you got to spend. BPT conversions
are outlined here in many strings even a sticky for you to read all the answers in.
$5k would get you a half cut swap everything over yourself. $7k would get you
pretties like big I/C and pipes and $10K would get you uprated turbo and all the
bells and whistles.

sOuL_323
27-06-2005, 11:14 PM
around tha 5k mark or lower im willin 2 go..
i jes want sumin betta than a stok auto 1.8 litre..

deruss
16-07-2005, 01:00 AM
It has been known to match the BPT with the auto, but not by anyone on the forums (with luck, I'll be the first :p ). Think it may even have come standard in older lasers overseas. For a conversion project, the problem is with the auto trans computer (EC-AT). There is a small thread about this on FL.com: http://www.fordlaser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12308

As to the legalities in Victoria, if you place an older engine in a newer car, the engine must conform to the Australian Design Rule requirements for the year of the car (in your case, 1998). The problem rule is ADR37 (emissions), which I think changed in 1997, so you will have problems there.

The jury is out on aftermarket ecus in victoria. Again, it's all about emissions. I emailed Motec about it (they are a Victorian based company) because I was told they are the only brand approved by the EPA. Their response was less than convincing ("Talk to your motec dealer and have it tuned by them"). I've concluded that they won't be approved for the engineer certificate (which you need to do when you swap the engine, in which case you need to use a factory supplied ecu) but if you installed one after the engineering, and had it tuned to meet the idle emissions check, then I think no-one will hassle you (even the EPA). Don't quote me on that though ;)

I'm slowly going through this process myself (BPT swap w/ auto, in victoria). If I survive, I'll update you guys when I'm out the other end.

BigMal
17-07-2005, 07:02 PM
I thought the drama was the EPA test cost so much in VIC against NSW.
Personally I would drive across the border on a holiday and get it done

Cosmo Dude
17-07-2005, 07:07 PM
I thought the drama was the EPA test cost so much in VIC against NSW.
Personally I would drive across the border on a holiday and get it done
Only if you're going to reg in NSW and keep the NSW reg. If you try to re-reg in VIC then you need a new engineering report and you're back to square one.

BigMal
17-07-2005, 07:45 PM
Only talking EPA test not eng cert the epa testing itself cant be different

Fro-Daddy
18-07-2005, 05:56 AM
i think in qld you cant put an engine in that is older than the car...chuck a rotor in :P

Nate
18-07-2005, 08:40 AM
i think that comes back to the emissions thing fro-daddy ...

deruss
18-07-2005, 09:24 AM
I don't know about the costs of the EPA test, but I think in qld they have special free days to get it done.
For the engineering certificate, if you use a factory ecu all you need is an idle emissions check, which is done at most dyno places these days (apparently), and a diagnosis report with no error codes. With aftermarket, technically you have to go through all that cleanroom emissions standards checking crap that costs thousands$$ and they don't tell you why you failed if you do fail.

One motec dealer I talked to said that if you install it yourself, and then have it tuned (as opposed to the tuner installing it) then you won't get hassled. This is because "they" (whoever "they" are) want to prevent shops from coming up with a package, having it checked and okayed, and then selleng that package en masse.