PDA

View Full Version : Self exhaust install

Provo
29-01-2003, 07:50 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Hey guys i'd like to fix my own exhaust....apart from being cheaper...its also the experiance... Is it difficult? What inlet size do i have to look for when choosing an exhaust... i'm in a 95 Astina... Oh and also....with pod filter...does it really make that much of diff between brands? What size should i be looking at so that she fits onto the existing piping? For eg...i'm looking at something like this... Pod filter (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1255&item=2908574173) ...would something more expensive warrent the gains?
Cheers,
Thanks guys[/color:post_uid0]

Dogo
29-01-2003, 08:20 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]firstly ... fix or replace ?
ie. Is there something wrong with ur exhaust that you want to repair , or do u want to put in a nicer new exhaust ?

You're unlikely to find much if you're looking for a bolt-on exhaust kit. Maybe if u owned a Lancer [i:post_uid0]shudder[/i:post_uid0] . :p

Replacing the exhaust tips and mufflers arnt too hard. Depending on what you're after you could get a bolt-on but welding them on would possibly be better.

So that's a skill you'd need - Welding.

other than that, mainly being able to bend the pipes to fit if you need to is the other skill you would need.

Another option would be to have an exhaust place prepare the exhaust for you - sell u the muffler with tip, piping, cat converter etc, and then you could put them in urself. Saving u the labour.

Doing a internet search for some guidelines would give u a better idea ! :)

Now here's one I prepared earlier :
http://www.diynet.com/DIY/projectIndexDetail/0,2041,AUTO_4013,FF.html

Dave[/color:post_uid0]

BigBoyLemonade
29-01-2003, 08:26 PM
[color=#006666:post_uid0]at least spend $100 on a pod
K&n are excellent
Simota have good flow but dont clean that well
Apexi - Good but they are paper and at $220 a pop they are expensive for a no usuable filter
Uni Filter - Meant to be good when oiled properly

Dont bother doing your exhaust yourself... most places in canberra cant even do it right... take it and get it done properly...[/color:post_uid0]

Dogo
29-01-2003, 08:28 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]or this one is more detailed :
http://www.carreview.com/projecteclipse%5Eexhaustcrx.aspx[/color:post_uid0]

BigMal
29-01-2003, 10:54 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid1]This is a great article about comparing pod filters.

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/1/index.html

Regards

Mal[/color:post_uid1]

Provo
29-01-2003, 11:19 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Thanks Dogo...seeing those had made me go....ah fuk it.
Yeah Lantis i've decided for the K&N based on your opinion and on Mal's article. Thanks a heap guys! What should i be looking to spend on exhaust? Yeah its an upgrade. I dont really care for looks and sound...i'm more after the porformance improvement...my sound equipment is slowing me down! :)
With the pod filters...will they just bolt onto where i take the box out...or will i need a pipe to bridge?
Cheers,
Joe[/color:post_uid0]

BigMal
29-01-2003, 11:59 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid1]Read the exhaust articles on autospeed that should explain
most of the stuff for you. So will you be doing all the welding
yourself and in stainless or mild steel ??
Unless you are a good welder I would farm out that part but
using the size and muffler, cat etc of your specifications and
then see how good your logic will be. I want to do something
similar with a turbo manifold after looking at the extractors
for the BP N/A and looking at the available room between
engine and radiator.

Regards

mrpayner
30-01-2003, 03:36 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]On the topic of filters, is the model number for a K&N Panel filter KN33-2134? I just want to whack it in the standard box.

Adam[/color:post_uid0]

Provo
30-01-2003, 08:23 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Mal...i meant that i was going to get a shop to do it...i can tack weld...but i dont know how well i'll be able to do a round join...
Any thoughts on the POD just bolting on?
Cheers,
Joe[/color:post_uid0]

BigMal
31-01-2003, 12:47 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid1]With the pod I bought some 3" stainless in a 45deg bend
which then put the pod right above the whole in the corner of
the guard. I got photo's of mine but no scanner so cant
show you. Only other thing needed is a 3" piece of hose
so you can clamp it down. I spose I should also mention that
the pod I bought had a 80mm opening.

Regards