PDA

View Full Version : Where do i start? - Advice wanted

KittyKatSmack
01-04-2003, 03:05 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid9]I love my 94 Astina, but after driving her for near on 18 months it's time to give her some zing!

So..... where do I start?
She is totally standard. Some pretty alloys (only 14") and cruise control is about it.

Now I am not rich either, so gotta keep the spending real for the moment. I can build up to bigger and better things later in the year, but not before October.

Option 1.
Exhaust.... Would putting the exhaust from the 2L V6 do anything for performance? What about a resonator? Changing the cat? Headers would be nice but a bit too $$$ at the moment, but doesn't mean I can't start at the back end and work towards the front.

Option 2.
Intake....
Cold Air Intake System? How?

Option 3.
Timing

OK, so as you can see I am looking at starting somewhere small and working my way up.

Just please please please don't say "get the turbo motor mate" coz that's all anyone seems to say to me ??? ???

And advice, direction, parts idea's, price ideas etc would be really really appreciated!!!
:D :D :D[/color:post_uid9]

sirex
01-04-2003, 03:27 AM
[color=#0000FF:post_uid0]The general order of performance modifcations is I/H/E.

Start by removing the standard airbox and piping a pod. If the budget allows buy a proper stainless steel intake pipe as well.

Headers is next, but you can't afford them yet so just put them to the side.

Exhaust, this is where the fun begins. There is so much variation available. Ideally you would want a 2 1/4" pipe straight through pipe for the best exhaust flow without any back pressure. Firstly, you should get the cat cut probably around $60-$80, don't bother replacing it with another one as they are too restrictive. Resonators and coby’s do nothing for performance, but just tweak your cars exhaust note.

It would be advisable to advance the timing to gain a few more ponies, but be careful. If you advance it too far the engine will ping and can cause internal damage.

Other future mods to consider when the budget allows, would be headers, a proper exhaust system, a fuel controller, a chip (or computer upgrade), a heavy duty clutch and a lightened fly wheel, lowering springs, hardened shocks and strut braces to improve handling, etc, etc, the list is endless.

Have fun, but definitely stick to NA, IMO forced induction is the pathetic way of gaining power.[/color:post_uid0]

Aaron
01-04-2003, 04:00 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]While I agree with the sentiments of sirex, I do have to ask:

1) Pod Filter, OK cool, so obviously you're talkign cold air intake of some desciption? Not just hanging a pod in the hottest part of the engine bay?

Is there a 'good' location that's already well documented or should we Astina owners be looking around for an area in the wheel arch, low to the ground for mounting the pod then ducting it up into the intake? I'm presuming she doesn't want to cut metal to get this happening?

2) Gutting the Cat or removing it.... What state do live in dude? this is like mega-illegal and really given the fairly low price of replacement cats (assuming the stocker is not flowing well enough) probably dancing with the devil for most.

So have people found that running a single rear box sufficient, or is it was to keep a free flowing resonator or two under the car to keep the noise (inside and out) down? Trying to cover the 'stealth' high-flow exhaust school of thought here?

I've read that headers really to open up the performance potential, are there many Aussie made versions or are we bound to importing from the USA/Japan? I've heard Genie make a nice set?

3) The timing thing, I guess there's a few things to be learnt from teh MX-5 boys there ;) any 'safe' numbers flaoting around - I've heard as high as 16 degrees additional advance can be cranked in when running PULP, sounds high to me considering the engine blows I've seen IT-Rs do on 9 degrees base advance... Maybe 3-4 would give a nice safe kick? Ofcourse a Mazda isn't an IT-R

*p[odners* I'm just trying to parallel my findings for other cars I've had and match them to what the Mazda needs/wants ;)[/color:post_uid0]

BigMal
01-04-2003, 04:38 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid1]Go for a panel over the pod filter. *No hassles with
the police and with some nice ducting into a cut hole
in the bottom of the airbox will flow well enough for a
N/A's needs. *$110 approx for the filter and say $10
for some ducting. *Dan took some photo's of doing a
cold air intake think they are under one of the melbourne
cruises. *

2nd, Run PULP and advance the timing by 3-4 degree's
I ran mine for ages with no problems and no ping but I
always ran the premium no half/half or second tank crap.

3rd Exhaust, agree with 2 1/4. *Keep the cat it doesn't
flow that bad, the speed at which I can hit boost cut
of 11psi with my exhaust including cat it cant be that bad.
I think the setup Mik has is good so will let him explain that
one.

This will make the car nippy but not fast. If you want
anything more than nippy then turbo is the wisest move.
Chips over here are very expensive as they are not chips
but reprogrammed whole computers. *Chiptorque wanted
$700 plus dyno time when I asked them before I went turbo.
Headers are nice and make a slight difference but its not
in proportion to the money spent eg like when you do the
exhaust itself. *Nothing after the first 3 give you the same
bang for your buck its all <10kw increase and for around $500
each I don't think is worth it.

Hope this helps

Mal[/color:post_uid1]

sirex
01-04-2003, 06:22 AM
[quote:post_uid0="Aaron"][color=#000000:post_uid0]While I agree with the sentiments of sirex, I do have to ask:

1) *Pod Filter, OK cool, so obviously you're talkign cold air intake of some desciption? *Not just hanging a pod in the hottest part of the engine bay?

2) *Gutting the Cat or removing it.... *What state do live in dude? *this is like mega-illegal and really given the fairly low price of replacement cats (assuming the stocker is not flowing well enough) probably dancing with the devil for most. *[/color:post_uid0][/quote:post_uid0]
[color=#0000FF:post_uid0]True Aaron, it slipped my mind that the best place to house a pod is down in wheel arch and/or build a seperate area to prevent the hot engine air flowing into the pod.

I live in NZ and currently cat's aren't an issue. All jappa's come across with them and as many of these cars have done over 100,00km, there cats are clogged and it is easier to cut rather than replace.[/color:post_uid0]

Cosmo Dude
01-04-2003, 08:11 AM
[color=#810541:post_uid0]Go is one thing. Something to think about is good tyres and effective suspension :;): also the skill behind the wheel. A defensive driving course wouldn't go astray and could be looked apon in a good light by your insurer :p
I bought my BA with crappy front tyres and the best money I've spent was on the rubber (I had the wheels from my HB Cosmo). 6X15JJ wheels and 205/55 tyres keep the car grounded so I don't loose so much speed 'round corners.
I race mine regularly (CAMS approved racing, no street hero stuff), currently the only zoom bits are the wheels and tyres, next springs and shocks.

Rod[/color:post_uid0]

BigBoyLemonade
01-04-2003, 06:53 PM
[color=#006666:post_uid0]yeah suspension can improve performance times dramatically!

The Fastest FWD is a crx.. nothing special... They just spent something like $10,000 on the suspension... it gained something like 3secs down the 1/4mile

Correct me if I am wrong...

I agree with Cosmo Dude!

My Saying is: "The best modification to a car is the driver!"[/color:post_uid0]

bRaDiNhO
01-04-2003, 07:44 PM
[color=#FF0000:post_uid0]On the cat issue, if u ditch the cat altogther, u pick up about 3kw. Illegal, but thats the relative insignificance. I had a freer flowing Falcon XR cat fitted to mine and the sound was the only real difference i noted (was forced to change cat, and was under a used car warranty).

Filter - as Mal said. No point not buying one, coz if u r planning on keeping your car for a few years, u wil make back your money by not changing filters at services.

Exhaust definately makes a difference. I went 2/1/4" cat back, no resonator, and it sounds good and goes better than before. Gives it more top end, a little lazier down low.

I drove a BA (I have a BG SP) yesterday hard for my first time and nearly lost the car. It was insane how much less grip it has than my car which is riding on 15"s with very good rubber rather than 14''s with decent rubber. I don't know why the difference - obviously the wheel/ tyre combo plays a part, and ive got firmer/ lower suspension which also improved it a little bit. I'd get grip levels sorted first whether its suspension or wheels/ tyre. I know that Tempe has got 5 spoke 16's with ZE502 rubber for under $1000. Not a bad deal if u want to make the car look better and increase grip.

Just my suggestion..... u can use handling in a lot more places than acceleration.[/color:post_uid0]

mrpayner
01-04-2003, 09:18 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]On the cat issue, if u ditch the cat altogther, u pick up about 3kw[/quote:post_uid0]

I have an article in Hot4's [or something else] somewhere that says that removing the Cat does jack-diddly squat. I'll find it and put it up

Adam[/color:post_uid0]

Toyboy
01-04-2003, 11:49 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Im with mr Payner,i heard the same **** :p *My exhaust place i go to aswell told me that buying a hi flow cat has a waste of money :;):
He also said that the 1's on the astina flow really good standard :cool:
It pointless changing the cat unless yours is rat**** and collapsed,as for gutting it or taking it off,there are huge fines from the [b:post_uid0]EPA[/b:post_uid0] for doing so,last i heard it was upto $50,000 :O
Now think whether youd wana do it :p[/color:post_uid0]

KittyKatSmack
01-04-2003, 11:59 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Wowsers!

Certainly a lot of info for this gal to take in.

I am not after street cred or flat line speed here. Nippy as Mal called it is probably exactly the best way to describe it.

I am not about to do anything remotely illegal or push the limits on my insurance/warranty either. I do need to replace the tyres this year, and am dragging them out until October when I get some decent $$ to spend on them. The current 14" alloys are fine, and I see no need to go to 15" unless I have cracked or bent alloys already. I seem to lose tyre pressure as it is, and have had tests done for porous alloys and leaks, so no cracks.
I do not like hard suspension and spring set up, my tush likes to take it easy these days, but anti roll bar may get an up grade. No whaling around the corners for me. Basically I don't want an exhaust that you can hear two streets away that will attract all the rice boys and the police. I want something that purrs down low, lose the tinniness at 4-5K RPM that I already have. The Cold Air Intake should also give me some w00t factor too.
To be honest, I don't want to spend more than a grand on intake, exhaust and engine tweaking. I figure that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the way it runs now and all I am after is a bit of grin factor. I already like my car. I like to drive it and give it a poke in the guts every once in a while and have fun, but I am not a street racer or a hoon by any stretch of the imagination.
Basically, I don't know anyone that has done work on Mazda's, nor do I know of any bolt on intakes or existing parts that can give me what I am after. Ok so I get some steel pipe made to duct my air etc. I want a beautiful job done, something that won't attract attention when the bonnet is lifted. Make it look standard etc.

Basically, I want to start at the beginning and stay at the lower end of the modifications.
Baby steps please fella's.
Spending $1000 wheels and rubber is out of the question.

But I must admit all the advice you are giving me here is great information for later on down the track.

At this stage though, back to basics.
Intake ~ Parts availability? Part numbers? Stockists? Prices?
Exhaust ~ same?
What brands do you recommend? What brands to avoid?

Mental picture for you: Girl walks into exhaust shop
"er I want an exhaust that makes my car purr"
"what kind lady"
"I don't know"
"do you want a new muffler"
"someone said I need bigger pipe and a resonator"
"I see, no worries lady, we'll take care of ya" $$$$$$$$$$

Do you see what I'm getting at?

Appreciate your time though, and keep the positive input coming because I really am trying to learn it all so that I can put it all together later on.

Cheers![/color:post_uid0]

sirex
02-04-2003, 03:28 AM
[quote:post_uid0="MrPayner"][color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]On the cat issue, if u ditch the cat altogther, u pick up about 3kw[/quote:post_uid0]

I have an article in Hot4's [or something else] somewhere that says that removing the Cat does jack-diddly squat. I'll find it and put it up

Adam[/color:post_uid0][/quote:post_uid0]
[color=#0000FF:post_uid0]But dude, this article is controversial as those test were carried out on brand new cars thus without cloogged cats so the results diddn't differ![/color:post_uid0]

mrpayner
02-04-2003, 03:53 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]I'll find that article, but i think from memory they did do it on a new BMW, but also an older car as well. I will look for it.

mrpayner
02-04-2003, 05:05 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]OK, it's not the same article i was thinking of, but i red this as well.

This article came from the HOT4's issue number 76 [January 2002].

Go www.geocities.com/mrpayner/mazda/astinagt/catalytic.jpg here [copy and paste] to check it out. It's formatted for 1024 display.

dfvadr
02-04-2003, 07:48 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]hi kitty dont no where u r exactly but any genuine exaust place should not charge you any more then $180 for a cat back 2 to 2 an a half inch system with a sporty note if u add a bigger fancy chrome tip that may blow u out to about $235 then there r ur foot pedals u can add for around $30 to $70 depending on wat u like take ur wheels off paint ur brake calipers for a $10 pressure pack can , chrome washer nozzles for around $20 without lights , seat covers $100 the whole car , floor mats k-mart have checker plate copies in red,blue,chrome for around $39 on special a set $49 normal ill leave u with those thoughts[/color:post_uid0]

bRaDiNhO
02-04-2003, 06:36 PM
[color=#FF0000:post_uid0]$180 cat back?! Wheres that from? ???

Northshore performance did a cat back 2 or 2/1/4" system with 3.5" tip for $380 or something. It is not nearly as loud or deep as mine, but is throaty down low and louder and raspy up top..... sounds pretty cool without being drony. He wasn't after the full boomy sound so sounds like what u want. That was on a BA 1.8.[/color:post_uid0]

KittyKatSmack
02-04-2003, 07:02 PM
[quote:post_uid0="odd12c"][color=#000000:post_uid0]hi kitty dont no where u r exactly but any genuine exaust place should not charge you any more then $180 for a cat back 2 to 2 an a half inch system with a sporty note *if u add a bigger fancy chrome tip that may blow u out to about $235 then there r ur foot pedals u can add for around $30 to $70 *depending on wat u like *take ur wheels off paint ur brake calipers for a $10 pressure pack can , chrome washer nozzles for around $20 without lights , seat covers $100 the whole car , floor mats k-mart have checker plate copies in red,blue,chrome for around $39 on special a set $49 normal * *ill leave u with those thoughts[/color:post_uid0][/quote:post_uid0]
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Kitty is in Canberra.

Thanks for the advice on the looks side of things, but I think I have that covered already. And to be honest, there is no point having a 'beat boy' looking car if you don't have anythign to back it up with? If that makes sense without offending anyone here *ducks just in case*

Although........
(dumb girl question here)
one of my washers sends water up and over my roof!!!!
Is it stupidly easy to adjust it?

I was reading about the K&N Intake change that was done, excellent article and step by step instructions by the way, except it was done on a later model Astina.
What is the chance that the same thing will fit on the BA?

After reading about the Whiteline swaybar BMR53 20mm, I will definately be doing that for a mere $160 or so.
My boyfriend and some of his friends can do it themselves so that saves me the simple fitting cost. Keeping those prices down down down!!!!!!!!

Will keep my cat methinks. Those fines are pretty hefty!
I recently had the 'engine pipe' changed for genuine Mazda part (read: RIPPED OFF) and that is main reason for waiting on the headers. But if I am not after break neck speed then the pipe should be adequate enough for the moment.
So mostly going to 2 1/4" with a hotdogger resonator and a nice muffler should give me the clean flow through and the nice note I am after.

What do you think?

I also have a friend of mine that imports Jap cars, now he isn't the most reliable bloke in the world and his eyes are firmly planted on the almighty dollar, but we were thinking......
(dangerous I know) might just get him to keep an eye open for a computer. Ya just never know right?
This friend just always saying to me "yadayadayada go the Turbo mate yadayadayada" and I keep saying "if I wanted the turbo, I would get one MATE"
*sigh*

Anyway, time to go and do some work.......
work?
what's that?
*grins*

Cheers![/color:post_uid0]

BigBoyLemonade
02-04-2003, 07:12 PM
[color=#006666:post_uid0]Maybe look at getting a Rising Rate Fuel pressure regulator.

Also before you start maybe get a dyno first so you know how much power you started with.. Once you have finish you can dyno it and see how much power you have gained...

I take mine to Autotech in Fyshwick and usually are pretty good[/color:post_uid0]

Aaron
02-04-2003, 10:11 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid7]Thanks for clearing that up Sirex ;)

I think Kitty has done the right thing by looking at boosting the performance in two or three aspects. The larger rear anti-roll bar will control roll so the Astinas tendancy to drop the nose into a corner and then cock the leg under braking should be lessoned, but it will make the rear end more skittish in the wet, and dry under hard brake&turn operations.. Ofcourse it can't fix the problem with physics but it can lessen the effect.

The great thing with playing with anti-roll bars is they're cheap for the gain, and don't appreciably worsen NVH of the car. The roll stiffness of the Astinas seems pretty good, but it's definately got a lot of room for improvement. In comparision to my Clio Sport the stock Astina has about the same roll stiffness but the Clio has a suspension setup that can better deal with the roll and translates it into grip pretty well. The Clio does run a higher (read bone jarring in comparison to Astina) spring rate to get it's roll stiffness.

Ofcourse there's not going to be the dramatic improvement until the car is fully aligned, possibly with the addition of a Camber kit kit let the thing be 'dialled' into a more agreesive turn-in and better tyre contact through the 'roll' action.

I know with the Clio there's many people in the UK bolting in $500>$700 intake kits that are drawing hot air into the motor compared to the stock airbox, but the improved piework gets them back some power they loose there. Witht he Astina I'm thinking of basically running a duct down into the area low inside the front wheelarch (between the guard and the wheelarch lining if there's space) and linking that into the factory airbox. Depends on what metal is int he way. Failing that there's always going down behind the front bumper. A bit of a lip to pick up some pressurised air from the vehicle movement and voila. If intake temps can't be dropped I'd be surprised.

Do the BAs have a diagnositics port that talks EOBD or OBD-II? I've got the logging gear and have found in the past that it gave very useful data for wokring on induction setups ;)

Exhaust is going to be tough... Should be no more than maybe $350, going from the cat back in say 2.25inch (enough for 200hp easy) . Mufflers and resonators are pretty cheap for basic Walker/Lukey flow through units in mild steel, the pipe itself is pretty cheap. In fact the biggest cost will prbably be the labour component. A good exhaust shop _should_ be able to convert your words into a system that meets your desires.

Accept that it may be a little louder and a littler more growly from outside the car, but at the same time make sure it keeps you happy inside the car. You may end up having to make a trip or two back and forth to get it 'just right' but normally a good shop will make small changes for next to nothing ... or just for the ocst of an extra resonator.

Whatever you do don't get pushed into going for some big ricey exhaust tip unless you want one.. tips can totally affect the noise output. Rolled edge tips tend to cause drone and resonance, while bigger tips than pipe (4 inch tip on 2.25 pipe)will make a tinny echo type noise as the engine revs under load. A straight pipe outlet will burble at low revs/load and tend to open to harsher noise as you load up the revs.

My preference is for the latter - they're also good for stealth.[/color:post_uid7]

Rupewrecht
02-04-2003, 11:55 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]i think a few worthwhile mods would be:

Power:
*Catback exhaust, as the standard system is 2" pre muffler anyway(so i've been told)
*Cold Air induction + Panel filter - pods arent that much better if at all
*Rising Rate Fuel Pressure Regulator - only a maybe, but makes a difference on an NA car -mine did

Handling:
*Rear Sway Bar - one of the best mods i did
*Front Tower Brace/Strut Brace
*Adjustable Camber Bolts - for the front, only a maybe, but if you have a tower brace you need them

i know you didn't want to go bigger wheels, but the handling benefits of a set of 16x7's would make a huge difference to the handling and grip of the car

cheers
Dan[/color:post_uid0]

KittyKatSmack
03-04-2003, 01:25 AM
[quote:post_uid0="rupewrecht"][color=#000000:post_uid0]i think a few worthwhile mods would be:

Power:
*Catback exhaust, as the standard system is 2" pre muffler anyway(so i've been told)
*Cold Air induction + Panel filter - pods arent that much better if at all
*Rising Rate Fuel Pressure Regulator - only a maybe, but makes a difference on an NA car -mine did

Handling:
*Rear Sway Bar - one of the best mods i did
*Front Tower Brace/Strut Brace
*Adjustable Camber Bolts - for the front, only a maybe, but if you have a tower brace you need them

i know you didn't want to go bigger wheels, but the handling benefits of a set of 16x7's would make a huge difference to the handling and grip of the car

cheers
Dan[/color:post_uid0][/quote:post_uid0]
[color=#736AFF:post_uid0]That is great Dan!!!!

Next step is who and how.

For the exhaust, I can pretty much go to an exhaust shop I know of. Hopefully he will do right by me there.

Cold Air induction + Panel filter ~ where do I get them, who can fit them, how much will it cost?

I really want to do this stage in May when I get back from QLD. Prolly at same time I get exhaust done.

Fuel Pressure Regulator????? This one is new to me...
*goes off for more research* but still interested in the how much for parts, who will fit it, is it simple enough to do at home, how much difference did it make on your car????

Sway bar has been ordered, w00t!
The rest of your handling suggestions will have to wait until after I get prices/costs/research completed, and of course the October rubber change methinks...........

I just cannot afford the 16x7's, although there was a set of something similars for sale..... hrmmmmm, depends on how cheap and as long as they aren't chromies, much prefer alloy!
We shall see......... And I will be honest and say I prefer to pay for replacement rubber at 15" prices!!!!
Call me cheap and all I will say is that I have to afford to live as well as have a car.
I would rather be honest and up front about where I am at and what I want to achieve than pull your chain and bull**** on.

Now... about this rising rate fuel pressure regulator...???[/color:post_uid0]

Rupewrecht
03-04-2003, 02:34 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]okey dokey...

Cold air induction you can do yourself if you're handy with a drill and hacksaw :;): All it consists of is:

* removing the resonator (in the front passenger side guard behind the bumper)
*running some tubing (agricultural pipe/drainpipe) from the hole in the bottom of the airbox to the front of your bumper

And a panel filter (like a K&N) can be obtained from Autobarn or online at Autospeed.com. A K&N is about $80 i think, and will last for years if you clean it every so often, as they're designed to be reusable unlike the standard paper filters.

A rising rate FPR basically supplied more petrol (when needed)than the standard FPR. The Standard one supplies fuel at a 1:1 air/fuel ratio, while an adjustable one supplied at it 1:1.7. It just makes the car a bit more nippy - but it only supplies ythe extra fuel when you put your foot down.
I've got one, and so does ToyBoy and one or two others.

A few people make them - Malpassi, FSE - and we both have the FSE version. i've never had a problem with mine, but Theo has i think. They cost about $350-400, and anyone can install them.

i think i covered all of it :;):[/color:post_uid0]

JynX
03-04-2003, 02:40 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Hiya.

I went through most of this not so long ago... so here are some thoughts.

Be carefull with your exhaust, there are some really dodgy shops around which will tell you one thing but install another... ask the canberra guys to recommend a local installer who is reputable. I had a 2.5" cat back install w/ extractors. Put me back somthing like $600-$700 at the time and its ****. ( The work that is )

You can get the panel filter online from http://www.autospeed.com. The price is reasonable and they deliver to the door... no hassles. Part number is KN33-2034 and its as simple as pulling out the old filter and sloting in the new... might want to get some cleaning products while u there. I clean mine every 2/3 months.

CAI u can do yourself with some ag pipe from the hardware store, but Dan has alot he wants too offload (as you need to buy it in 20m rolls) so you can grab some off him and save buying 20m's. I want some too so we just need to work out how to get it up from Melb and will save us some dosh too.

You need to pull out the resonator box sitting in the left wheel guard and then u run the pipe from where the old pipe was around via the new hole in the wheel guard and to the front grill. We may need to enlarge the hole in the air box, im not sure what diameter ag pipe dan has, im sure he can tell us though. I think tony had a chrome pipe which joined the air box to the hole in the chassis if you want somthing that looks abit fancier.

Another simple enhacment is some mesh behind the front grill. Simple cosmetic change and looks alot better then std. Some pics at http://www.focus.net.au/images/astina/mesh if u want to know how to do it... simple as cutting the mesh to shape and screwing it into existing screw placements on rear bar.

erm front bar.... i need a beer.

P.S u pic dosnt work

Cheers
Jim.[/color:post_uid0]

MrShadow
03-04-2003, 02:43 AM
[color=#810541:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]removing the resonator [/quote:post_uid0]

heard of this a few times, but not quite sure what it does?[/color:post_uid0]

Rupewrecht
03-04-2003, 02:54 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]The resonator is supposed to smooth the air flow, therefore allowing more air in...but it's a crock, well at least the astina one is...if you look at it it's got so many restrictions in it as to be completely useless.

And it pulls hot air from the engine bay from a tiny little hole! How is that supposed to aid performance??? you need cold air, Mazda! ???[/color:post_uid0]

MrShadow
03-04-2003, 02:59 AM
[color=#810541:post_uid0]Ahhh, so I [i:post_uid0]SHOULDN'T[/i:post_uid0] run my CAI through a shroud around my exhaust? So that's what I've been doing wrong... :;):[/color:post_uid0]

Toyboy
03-04-2003, 03:04 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]:O :laugh:[/color:post_uid0]

mrpayner
03-04-2003, 03:36 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]The replacement K&N panel filter is now $98.41.

DIRECT LINK TO AUTOSPEED K&N PAGE HERE (http://www.autospeed.com/cgi-bin/browse.cgi?ecomsvr=&category=939&product=1003141548)

:D

Rupewrecht
03-04-2003, 03:39 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]wow that's gone up in price! :O

oh, and FYI peoples, the V6 BA Astina uses a different filter...[/color:post_uid0]

JynX
03-04-2003, 03:56 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]I think i paid around $80ish 12 mnths ago.[/color:post_uid0]

sik astina
03-04-2003, 06:05 AM
[color=#0000FF:post_uid0]i know it aint no performance mod. i think u should lower the car. better handling and looks better too. ( about $350)

put a panel fitler like the guys have been saying. pod filter too much heat gets in em unless u make a box around it like theo or move it somewhere else. ( $100 arounds)

i dont think u should put a FSE. got told by my mum's b/f (he owns a rotary shop and races them too) its not for a n/a motor. waste of money there. with that money u can get a nice set of wheels. Know some of the guys on the board have had a little power increase but its a lot of money for such a small impact.

and with the exhaust i got 2 1/4" mandrel bend with a high flow cat and extractors. that made a difference in performance and it sounds great too.

This is just my opinion anyways, hope it helps...

-Mick[/color:post_uid0]

Cosmo Dude
03-04-2003, 06:48 AM
[color=#810541:post_uid0]Hi all,
The cold induction sounds like a fun weekend project. I may just pop down to Bunnings this Saturday and pickup some palstic pipe and an elbow to plumb a new duct from the front to the bottom of my air box. If it looks good I'll paint it to match. :;):
A nice induction system adds a couple of Kw's and adds a nice subtle growl.

Start a fuel log book with normal unleaded petrol (include odometer, litres, price of unleaded petrol [ulp] and premium unleaded petrol [pulp]) and after three or four weeks change to premium for the same time and compare the price per Km.
Confused?
I found pulp to be better value, now you can crank up the ignition two or three degree.

Now you should have a bit more zip with little outlay, fifty bucks or so, and more of a smile when you push down on the right foot. :D :D :D :cool:

Rod[/color:post_uid0]

mrpayner
03-04-2003, 08:25 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]General Tips on CAI found here. (http://www.geocities.com/mrpayner/cai_faq.html) Have fun kiddies.

Oh yeah, Rod. Keep that CAI pipe as straight as possible. IE don't have that elbow you were thinking of, it'll restrict the airflow. :D

Cosmo Dude
03-04-2003, 09:40 AM
[color=#810541:post_uid0]Thanks Adam,
I'll look at that info.

btw
I believe that Kittykat's quesetion is how to add some zoom, zoom, zoom to a 1.8 BA Astina without blowing the budget. Adding the smile factor to driving the great little car we all enjoy :D[/color:post_uid0]

.::Astina|Brad::.
03-04-2003, 01:14 PM
[color=#728FCE:post_uid0]Sorry to do this to you guys but... you've all completly lost me. Your talking about adding a resonator to the exhust. then removing the resonator in the stock intake??? getting alittle confused here... exhust resonator aside... what does this intake resonator look like? 2nd thing is... i have pulled my filter out of my box and found a tube running down in behind the bumper.. i can't find where it goes, but it seems to me it's already set up like a CAI... 3rd... i probably really need a digital camera to get this across properly.. but there after the filter and alittle way up the pipe towards the sensors and wires... there is this tube that stems out of the intake pipe (is this the resonator?) what does this thing do? and finaly... for now.. what is the difference between the V6 BA K&N filter and the 4cyl Filter...

Sorry if i'm not making sense... but i'm in the same boat as kitty. and at the moment i'm quite tired and grumpy and just want to go home...

.::Grumpy|Brad::.[/color:post_uid0]

ABC
03-04-2003, 09:11 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Difference *between filters - about 10 bucks - probably just a different size/thickness. Had a look around and this was the only 2.0L Mazda filter there even though it comes up and says its for a Probe. Autospeed direct link (http://www.autospeed.com/cgi-bin/browse.cgi?ecomsvr=&category=939&product=1003141557) Would call them just to make sure or measure before ordering. Have been thinking of doing the same myself but $$$ are tight at the moment.

From what I can work out, the intake resonator is inside the front guard/bumper. Haven't taken the bumper off yet to take a look (I've only had the car for two years! :p ) but that will be next weekend's project so I'll see if I can take some photos of the V6.

Dogo is the one to ask I think. I think he's the one that's done the most tweaking to a V6 - no disrespect to anyone that has, just can't remember. :)

cheers,
Andy.[/color:post_uid0]

JynX
03-04-2003, 09:39 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Brad,

If you were to follow that little pipe into the wheel arch, the resonator sits on the inside the wheel arch.

http://www.focus.net.au/images/astina/mesh/DSC00229.JPG

This show where the resonator "Should" be, mine is removed, but you can see the old intake pipe still sitting there. You cant really call it cold air, as nothing is flowing into that area, but its "colder" then taking air directly from the engine bay.[/color:post_uid0]

Rupewrecht
03-04-2003, 09:47 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]The white thing (http://www.astinagt.com/melbcruise2002/Pages/Image24.html) under my arm is the intake resonator. We soon got rid of that :;):

And where (http://www.astinagt.com/melbcruise2002/Pages/Image27.html) we ran the piping[/color:post_uid0]

BigMal
03-04-2003, 09:52 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid1]The resonator takes out the thump, thump, thump sound
from the exhaust of each cylinder firing. Believe it also
straightens out the molecules to make them run all the same
way. Similar thing with the front res which gives the air
particles chance to settle so that they go into the maf and
piping all traveling the same way so the air is more dense
that way.

Regards

04-04-2003, 12:46 AM
[color=#728FCE:post_uid0]Sweet... that's cleared up heaps... no wonder i couldn't find where the intake went...it was behind that stupid big white thing!!! wouldn't it have been better to not have that white thing in the 1st place???

one thing that isn't clear is the little pipe that extends out of the intake pipe... u can see where it should be in the second pic of dans showing insid the engine... and i noticed you have 2 pipe coming up as the intake now dan... is this second pipe going into that hole in the side of the intake pipe??? i'll try edit the image to eplain alittle more... and post it up...

Thanx Again ABC JYNX RUPE MAL!!!

oh and Kitty... when do u get your sway bar?

Brad[/color:post_uid0]

Rupewrecht
04-04-2003, 12:53 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Well, as Mal said, the intake resonator does have a function...but it's just whether it makes [i:post_uid0]that[/i:post_uid0] much difference when you're increasing airflow with a CAI anyway.

yeha i know the pipe you're talking about, and on Dave's V6 we removed that second pipe, as we needed the room to mount an Adustable FPR there.

so we gaffertaped a spray can lid over that hole! :laugh:

[i:post_uid0]Rupewrecht will not be held responsible for all cars that fail to work as stated by the manufacturer[/i:post_uid0] :;):

but we did a dual CAI pipe to an enlarged hole in the bottom of the V6 airbox - that's why the 2 pipes[/color:post_uid0]

04-04-2003, 01:01 AM
[color=#728FCE:post_uid0]Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... all very clear now... now this second pipe that by the way is blocked at the other end, u just took off.. now... whats an ajustable FPR??? fuel presure regulature???

also wanted to ask mal... taking out the resonator... does it make the astina then sound like a wrx thumping????? i luv the sound of the rex when they have that deep thumping sound...

and for others who didn't have a clue what i was on a bout... this is the thingy i wanted to know about...

[img:post_uid0]http://members.optusnet.com.au/~ivanfox/astina%20intake.jpg[/img:post_uid0][/color:post_uid0]

Rupewrecht
04-04-2003, 01:07 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]yep, Adustable FPR is the Fuel Pressure regulator

And removing the Intake Resonator will give you a much bassier sound - the V6 sounds brilliant with the CAI mods we di. Way better than a WRX, but different.[/color:post_uid0]

ABC
04-04-2003, 01:10 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Ahhhhhhhhhhhh FREAKOUT!

Just went outside and had a look at my car but the freaky thing is that my car doesn't have that part sticking out that the picture does. Its just a straight piece of pipe about 5-6cm long!

Mine's a '96 model but wouldn't have thought that it would make much difference. ???[/color:post_uid0]

Rupewrecht
04-04-2003, 01:14 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Well both Dogo's and Astina|Brads are 94s...can't say i've seen under the bonnet of any post 95 V6s.

There were a few changes throughout the life of the BA, so maybe that's one of them![/color:post_uid0]

KittyKatSmack
04-04-2003, 01:24 AM
[color=#736AFF:post_uid0]Kitty gets her swaybar on Friday 11th April.
(after payday!)

This has been the best information ever though, and the pictures have helped enormously!!!!!!!

I am certainly interested in the AG piping too.

In fact, I am getting pretty damned excited about the whole project now, and can't wait.
I will be away from the 14th April until the 29th April with the rare access to PC during that time, but please continue to post the info!!!!!

I can't wait to do the CAI!!!!
This is going to be the best fun.
Any of the Canberra Astina drivers want in on the action when the CAI goes in? There will of course be pictures taken too!
;)
OK, back to washing and polishing the beast, and crying over the new stone chips from the trip back from Albury last weekend
:([/color:post_uid0]

04-04-2003, 01:52 AM
[color=#728FCE:post_uid0]HOW MUCH DO STONE CHIPS SUCK!?!?! my bonnet looks shocking... some are deep...

i'm driving down to Kangaroo Valley in 2 hours! Probably collect a few more chips on the way down there...

Anyone from Kangaroo Valley here???

one final thing and i think i mite have my head completly around the whole CAI thing... the ag. pipe u ducted.. how do u attatch them to the standard filter box???

I'm getting excited about the thought of my car sounding better than a wrx... :D all i need now is the power of a wrx and i'll be a happy little boy... Dan... any chance of my borrowing your engine? :;):

HAve a good weekend peoplez... hope ya get to do some CAI work over the weekend kitty.[/color:post_uid0]

BigMal
04-04-2003, 02:35 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid1]Be carefull about your word choice in future Kitty.
Those remarks about getting all excited and if any
of the Astina owners want in on the action.

Some of the other people on the forum and not gentlemen.
You could cop some grief over things like that.

And don't listen to any of the crap the other guys and girls
have been saying about me. I wont rip your badges off.
After you have seen a debadged Astina you will want to
do it yourself. They are all just jealous that they know we
will get on like a house on fire (No Canberra pun intended)
Leanne's also just upset that she is going out with a boy like
mike when she could of had a man like me. I am never afraid
to buy her leg openers at any/every oportunity.

Regards

Mal
p.s This is a total work of fiction. Except for the friends
bit :D[/color:post_uid1]

ABC
04-04-2003, 02:43 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]I lost my badges the first time I met Mal. *:D sorry, couldn't resist :D

Kitty, I'm up for a CAI transformation one Sunday - Sailing Saturday's. Tony and other Canberra people, want to come and show us how to pull apart the front end properly? :;):[/color:post_uid0]

Toyboy
04-04-2003, 02:45 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Haha,good 1 Mal :p Ill have to call ya the [b:post_uid0]Fluff Daddy[/b:post_uid0] :laugh:[/color:post_uid0]

sik astina
04-04-2003, 02:47 AM
[color=#0000FF:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0="BigMal"]They are all just jealous that they know we
will get on like a house on fire (No Canberra pun intended)
Leanne's also just upset that she is going out with a boy like
mike when she could of had a man like me. *I am never afraid
to buy her leg openers at any/every oportunity.

Regards

Mal
p.s *This is a total work of fiction. Except for the friends
bit *:D[/quote:post_uid0]

everyone wants to BE like Mike.
that was below the belt. and i dont think u be able to handle my leanne. :O

i'll let u off this time round mmmmate *:;): *make sure it doesnt happen again. u might been sniffen way to much arse opening stuff.. *:p *:laugh:[/color:post_uid0]

BigBoyLemonade
04-04-2003, 03:05 AM
[color=#006666:post_uid0]yeah it was below the belt...

right in the nuts!! LMFAO!

I cant this weekend but maybe the weekend after.. I am installing a HKS Cams in a r32 Skyline GTR

I have removed X-Leads resonator and he loves it now! I know how to take apart everything just you would have to show me exactly what you wanna do with the piping...

PS. you dont happen to be a Teacher do you KittyKatSmack?[/color:post_uid0]

ABC
04-04-2003, 03:17 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]I fear where this conversation is going given how small Canberra is...... *:D *:D *:D

[quote:post_uid0]I cant this weekend but maybe the weekend after.. I am installing a HKS Cams in a r32 Skyline GTR
[/quote:post_uid0]
Gotta have a hobby I suppose, I'm starting races for a Sailing National Championship on the Lake!

Next weekend is good for me - How's Sunday the 13th?[/color:post_uid0]

dfvadr
04-04-2003, 06:44 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]hey mal im with u man my badges are being removed while the kits being done[/color:post_uid0]

KittyKatSmack
04-04-2003, 07:36 PM
[color=#736AFF:post_uid0]OMG, so many posts to catch up on.......
*deep breath*

Am not a teacher, but I do part time study, so my car gets parked at an educational institution.
But I do believe we have a Honda driving friend in common ~ Bear? That's all I'm gonna say for now.

Sunday the 13th is gonna be packing for my trip to QLD. Otherwise I would have [i:post_uid0]definately[/i:post_uid0] said yes to that one.
This weekend would have been good if I had the parts and had planned for it.
I am dead set keen for it, and would prefer to do it with you fella's around that have
a) done it before
b) can help if I stuff it up
(me stuff it up? NEVER)

And I can assure you Mal that I like your sense of humour very much and that I will be guarding my badges with my life anyway :;):
Make mine a vodka mate!

If the Canberra Connection of AstinaGT want to organise a CAI weekend, like those in Melbourne are doing in the Cruise Thread, can we make it the Anzac Day weekend?
Sunday 27th April?
I still don't guarantee to have my poo in a pile, but I can possibly work under pressure.........

All those in favour say Aye...

[b:post_uid0]Aye[/b:post_uid0]

Well, time for coffee..........
My car isn't the only thing that needs a boost sometimes
:laugh:[/color:post_uid0]

BigBoyLemonade
05-04-2003, 03:21 AM
[color=#006666:post_uid0]Holy ****...

ah!!! it all falls into place! smack Bugs in the back of the head! and tell him not to brag about who he knows! he was telling how he was bragging about my car to you... dont worry an astina is much better than a water cooled VW Kombi! (Subaru Wagon)

Canberra is way too small!

Its not 6degrees of seperation.. its two degrees...

I know ABC, JJ and Zoom through friends of friends...[/color:post_uid0]

Edited By Lantis on 1049480602

KittyKatSmack
05-04-2003, 03:39 AM
[color=#736AFF:post_uid0]I am still lost on the other nicknames, so be gentle with me?????????

Will have to go to Manuka tomorrow night and sit at Starbucks and see who does the rounds......

:;):[/color:post_uid0]

JynX
05-04-2003, 04:06 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Kitty,

Dont buy any AG piping, im going to get a role from the local hardy as its going to be too hard to get dans up and mal is also interested in some so Ill just get a roll and well organise a day to do some installing...

Cheers
Jim.[/color:post_uid0]

KittyKatSmack
05-04-2003, 04:16 AM
[color=#736AFF:post_uid0][b:post_uid0]Sounds FANTASTIC![/b:post_uid0]

I am there, especially if it's Sunday the 27th April

*hint hint*

*grin*
:D :laugh:[/color:post_uid0]

BigBoyLemonade
05-04-2003, 04:28 AM
[color=#006666:post_uid0]ABC (V6 Sailor dude)
JJ (grey SP astina with JJ plates)
Zoom (white BA astina with 16" alloys)

Bugs = bear = simon[/color:post_uid0]

O-LYM-PIC
07-04-2003, 10:17 AM
[quote:post_uid0="JynX"][color=#000000:post_uid0]Dont buy any AG piping, im going to get a role from the local hardy as its going to be too hard to get dans up and mal is also interested in some so Ill just get a roll and well organise a day to do some installing...[/color:post_uid0][/quote:post_uid0]
[color=#000000:post_uid0]yo jynx, if ur gona have a day around here, then im in too mate. so keep me some of that AG.

thanx
manuel[/color:post_uid0]

KittyKatSmack
07-04-2003, 07:21 PM
[color=#736AFF:post_uid9]Honda Driver Bear = Aleks........

We missed by > < that much.....

Hrmmmmmmmm

Next?

But seriously?

I am keen to do the CAI Weekend if
a) I come back from holiday with money
hahahahahahahahaha
*chokes on laughter*
b) some of you guys are willing to be around
c) Jynx willing to hold some of that AG pipe

Unfortunately this weekend looks REAL bad for me.........
I don't wanna miss out, please fellas?
Don't make the kitty beg?

You've heard the saying:
Dog's have Masters, Cat's have Slaves!
or
In Ancient Egypt, Cat's were worshipped as Gods, Cat's have never forgotten this!
or
plain ole please?
:;): :cool: :D[/color:post_uid9]

BigBoyLemonade
07-04-2003, 07:31 PM
[color=#006666:post_uid0]ah completely different person!

Im talking southside... ah well I know Aleks too...

I will come round.. I can assist you in grabbing some piping... autobahn sometimes has some really nice stuff at a resonable price[/color:post_uid0]

KittyKatSmack
07-04-2003, 07:41 PM
[color=#736AFF:post_uid0]Awwww Shucks!
Thanks Tony!!!!

Mind you I haven't seen Aleks in (are you ready for this)
YONKS!

hahahahahaha

(the girl is going insane)

Jynx is getting the AG pipe under control, so it is going to be a matter of getting the K&N kit, any other bits and bobs, and getting the timing act together!

Any estimates as to how long the whole process will take?
Does the front end [i:post_uid0]have[/i:post_uid0] to come off?
Just trying to figure a way to get it done at the same time as everyone else if possible.

Basically trying not to be a pain in the butt.... I know, it'd make a change for me! :;):

May works better for me, but like everyone else, I don't want to wait either........

Any suggestions?

Any magic wands?

:D[/color:post_uid0]

JynX
07-04-2003, 08:33 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]It is easier to run the piping with the front end off... but I guess it wouldnt "have" to come off....

Well how we get em all done at the same time.... you do your car... ill do my car :) The front bar is easy to get off so dont stress... CAI i estimate would take about an hour inc getting bar on and off. Depends if we need to enlargen the hole in the air box. I will head down to the hardy this week and see if I can pick the pipe up. Ill do my car first and get a procedure down pat so to speak so u others can simply follow suit.

I wasnt planning on having this "day" untill the end of the month.

I will move this post to a new topic so we can get some idea of interest.[/color:post_uid0]

KittyKatSmack
07-04-2003, 08:39 PM
[color=#736AFF:post_uid0]Er.... think I kinda beat ya off the mark off that one, have already started new topic in cruises.....

Prolly about the only time I will beat anyone off the mark around here though

*grins cheekily*

:D

Sounds like a great idea though Jynx!!![/color:post_uid0]

JynX
07-04-2003, 08:43 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]god damn this always happen to me...

You can organise it then :)

/me wipes his hands.... lol[/color:post_uid0]

KittyKatSmack
07-04-2003, 10:41 PM
[color=#736AFF:post_uid0]*kitty smacks forehead homer simpson style*

Duoh!

Me in Canberra
Ugg Nugg
You in Sydney
Ugg Nugg

grubble grubble grubble

*kitty is given the red card and sent back to the Litter Box*[/color:post_uid0]

MrShadow
08-04-2003, 01:31 AM
[color=#810541:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0](the girl is going insane)

/me wonders what kitty has been smokin out the back, catnip?? :O[/color:post_uid0]

KittyKatSmack
08-04-2003, 02:31 AM
[quote:post_uid0="MrShadow"][color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0](the girl is going insane)

/me wonders what kitty has been smokin out the back, catnip?? :O[/color:post_uid0][/quote:post_uid0]
[color=#736AFF:post_uid0]Whaddya mean [i:post_uid0]going[/i:post_uid0]?
:;):

And you don't smoke catnip..... you roll around in it nekkid!

*purr purr purr*

:D[/color:post_uid0]

08-04-2003, 02:44 AM
[color=#728FCE:post_uid0]I've just got another stupid CAI question... i'm probably getting heaps paranoid now... But what about water getting into the pipe... i know if water gets sucked up into the engine... well.. bye bye engine yes? also... are people who already have the duct going into the panel filter using some sort of mesh to stop leaves and moths and bugs and other assorted debris going up into the filter box?

oh and 1 more thing... if i just remove my resonator, and not do the ducting yet... it this going to cause any problems?[/color:post_uid0]

KittyKatSmack
08-04-2003, 03:46 AM
[color=#736AFF:post_uid0]Have no fear Brad, I already thought of the same questions....
Apparently it would take a lot of *ulp* Suck (yes I said that) to get water up that far, and as for debris, same thing, but then again, that is what the actual filter is for. You just clean it out every couple of months or so I have been told.

I asked a similar question about the resonator, I actually asked if it was possible to gut the existing one as a temporary measure, but it seems that you can't know how it is set up until you crack it open. Being made of plastic, it is just moulded and stuck together.

As for living without one altogether, from what I am seeing here, it seems that you would be better off with a specific intake pipe/hose/thingymajig and just do it right the first time.

*whispers* How'd I do fella's?[/color:post_uid0]

Aaron
08-04-2003, 04:16 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Yeah - Don't worry too much about water injestion if you're just running cold air ducting up into the factory air box. It'd take a lot of work to fill the airbox to the bring and actually end up with water in your motor.

On my last car the CAI was actually designed in such a way that the intake pod sat level with the bottom of the bumper, in a cool area between the gearbox and the front end. Cool air came in through the bumper area as well as from below. Ofcourse this meant that it was like having a drinking straw attached to the motor about 15cm above ground level.

I never had any probs with water, except with the actual filter material getting damp and reducing performance. Ofcourse I didn't do the stupid thing and drive through deep standing water... Splashing was/is OK though.

In some ways I miss that intake - thanks to the shaping of it it "bellowed" at WOT... quite a fearsome noise ;)[/color:post_uid0]

Trav
10-04-2003, 03:18 AM
[color=#3A6EA5:post_uid0]if you are getting really stressed a the idea of hydrolock (the technical term for f@#$ing your engine when it gets ful of water) you can add what's called a air bypass valve. This goes inline with the CAI tubing and will shut down the system if it starts sucking up water).

Unless you are going to rally in feet of water then probably a waste of $$$.[/color:post_uid0]

Aaron
10-04-2003, 03:24 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]All the Bypass vavles do is impede flow and let your engine suck water at a higher point ;)

Worthless paying for one when commonsense is free... And from what I heard from people in the US they only work effectively 10% of the time....[/color:post_uid0]

Trav
10-04-2003, 03:35 AM
[color=#3A6EA5:post_uid0]that'd be right. I've also heard that the valve bit can come out and jam you WOT - very sub optimal...[/color:post_uid0]

Aaron
10-04-2003, 03:42 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]the worst failure I heard of was one being fitted to an "Iceman" intake on a Neon, this means the bypass valve is mounted AFTER the pod filter.

Essentially what happned is the bypass guts 'dropped' out during a track session, and debris from the failure got sucked up the intake pipe straight into the guys brand new hi-po 2.4L motor (he was running the car with the 2.4L DOHC from a Stratus... basically a big bore version of the stocker)... Cost him USD1000+ to get it back on the road thanks to the head, bores and pistons all being damaged....

And don't forget if it's mounted after the filter it will let unfiltered air into the motor another bad thing....[/color:post_uid0]

KittyKatSmack
10-04-2003, 10:04 PM
[color=#736AFF:post_uid9]In the Canberra CAI Day thread in the Cruise folder, I have mentioned a list of all parts required to do the CAI.

I only ask about it because Pr1mo has asked about bushes in regards to the Swaybar, which I know nothing about until tomorrow when I pick it up.

I was wondering if there was a comprehensive list of all the knick knacks <--- spelling?
that are required?
If I am going to do this CAI Day, then I don't want to have to go to the Auto shop 16 times to pick up different clamps, tape or similar.

Also, there was mention of different sized AG pipe by Jynx, and using an old airbox??
What the??

See? I am full of dumb questions, and I'm not even blonde!!!
:D[/color:post_uid9]

Rupewrecht
10-04-2003, 10:16 PM
[quote:post_uid0="KittyKatSmack"][color=#000000:post_uid0]See? *I am full of dumb questions, and I'm not even blonde!!![/color:post_uid0][/quote:post_uid0]
[color=#000000:post_uid0]but it's the dumb brunettes that dye their hair blonde that give blondes a bad name :p :p :p :laugh: :O

/me runs away now[/color:post_uid0]

KittyKatSmack
10-04-2003, 10:22 PM
[color=#736AFF:post_uid0]/me throws hair bleaching kit after rupewrecht![/color:post_uid0]

BigMal
11-04-2003, 12:17 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid1]Hey Kitty,
You know that the CAI is just ducting to your std airbox
don't you. Thats why you keep your "old airbox".

Regards

JynX
11-04-2003, 12:22 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Well im only suggesting that if you dont want to cut up your airbox to fit a larger pipe then perhaps you should go buy a second hand one and keep the original under the house for safe keeping...

Up to you really.

The Ag pipe comes in a number of sizes, I wasnt sure what diameter i could order, it turns out the biggest I could get was 100mm/4" which is probably 2/3 x the standard intake hole on the airbox, so naturally it will need to be widened.[/color:post_uid0]

Mizda_Mazda
17-04-2004, 03:27 PM
This is what i paid for, i'm not sure if it was a good price or not.

Extractors ------> Hurricane $400 i heard genie were better but couldn't find any
Cat Back Exh---> 2 inch with muffler and tip $250 i think $180 for no muffler
Airfilter ---------> K&N Pod $100 +
Adapter -----------> Redline $15

After i heard hurricane extractor arn't that great but i don't think it makes a great difference. All they do is make your car feel smoother but i have notice some flat spots since i changed the exhaust. A few MX5 owns suggested to get a new chip and i'm looking into that now...

Mizda_Mazda
17-04-2004, 03:32 PM
And you can get cheap metal to make a box cheap from some off cuts or from some store/school if your lucky. I can't fit any ducting in but have got some tube. You can find them at auto barn or some hardware store. I've seen people just cable tie it or even duck tape it in.

You can also try out grounding wires, but they don't seem to do much unless your trying to earth a huge amp through the chasis and get static when you touch the car. That's about $10 (you make it your self).

JynX
17-04-2004, 03:48 PM
Before you go spending big bucks on a chip. Disconnect your battery. Put your foot on the brake pedal for 5-10mins then reconnect the battery and go for a 30min drive.

This will reset the ecu's internal memory and allow for new base adjustments to be made in light of your recent upgrades.

It wont make a huuge difference but could iron out some irregularities. The ECU will make adjustments to timing based on inputs it receives from afm and o2 sensor in your exhaust. There is a limitation to how much it can adjust so by resetting the base settings, you may find these problems go away.

If still not satisfied, then go spend $1K on a unichip or somthing similar.

Nate
17-04-2004, 03:55 PM
sweet trick dude - whats with the foot on the brake thing tho??

Cosmo Dude
17-04-2004, 04:15 PM
Before you go spending big bucks on a chip. Disconnect your battery. Put your foot on the brake pedal for 5-10mins then reconnect the battery and go for a 30min drive.
5-10 min :shock: their capacitors not Li-I batteries, just turn your headlights or brake lights on for 15-20 seconds with the battery disconnected that will drain any residual current in the system.
You're not going to make a lot of power with just one or two mods and if you leave the standard exhaust between the headers and the cat-back system you're robbing yourself of much of the performance potential you've already paid for. I personally wouldn't do anything to the ECU before I'd done the full exhaust, CAI and pod, a decent set of ignition leads, porting the head and a new pair of cams etc..... Then you will notice the difference and get better bang for buck.

JynX
17-04-2004, 06:14 PM
5-10 min :shock: their capacitors not Li-I batteries, just turn your headlights or brake lights on for 15-20 seconds with the battery disconnected that will drain any residual current in the system.
You're not going to make a lot of power with just one or two mods and if you leave the standard exhaust between the headers and the cat-back system you're robbing yourself of much of the performance potential you've already paid for. I personally wouldn't do anything to the ECU before I'd done the full exhaust, CAI and pod, a decent set of ignition leads, porting the head and a new pair of cams etc..... Then you will notice the difference and get better bang for buck.

i was thinking seconds..... leave me alone... sucked in a quater of a tank of fuel fumes tuning the car today...

JynX
17-04-2004, 06:14 PM
sweet trick dude - whats with the foot on the brake thing tho??

helps drain the caps in the ecu as cosmo said.

Cosmo Dude
17-04-2004, 06:30 PM
Probably a more compleate description (and I didn't say it earlier either) is that the ECU has a learn mode where it adapts it's self to 'normal' driving conditions. If you make a big change (more than 2-3kw) it is quicker to reset the ECU and begin a learn fresh than to have it adapt to the changes over time.
The memory in the ECU is 'volatile' like the RAM in your PC, when the power is turned off it will loose all the info stored in it and reset to the factory default settings. To cover for periods of low/high power the ECU is protected by capacitors that can act for a short time as a battery. To drain the capacitors you need to supply a short circuit or path of low resistance and your lights are the easiest way to do this.

Hope that helps explain :D

Oh yeah, the ECU doesn't run windows as it's operating system and therefore doesn't need to be reset very often :P if at all.

Nate
17-04-2004, 07:01 PM
we need a tips and tricks section somewhere (on hte main page) and this is hte kind of stuff that needs to be in it!!!

Cosmo Dude
17-04-2004, 07:42 PM
we need a tips and tricks section somewhere (on hte main page) and this is hte kind of stuff that needs to be in it!!!

It would be good if people would browse the forums or use the search facility before posting 'Hi, I'm new to the forum. I've just bought an Astina, could you tell me how to get more power from it? or Can I put a gtx engine in my Astina?

I'm sure you've noticed the same threads coming up over and over. Many people woudn't read the Performance FAQ :?

Mizda_Mazda
20-04-2004, 07:00 PM
About the idea of resetting the computer. Sounds good but the thing is the computer but I heard it stays in learn mode and averages everything you've done. So if you do reset it, then drive it hard, it will be better, but afterwards when you drive normally(if you do) it will also get that data and average that out as well.

Also the boot settings will be factory settings to start off with, before it 'learns' the driving conditions.

I guess you could make a switch to reset the computer with out disconnecting the battery.

Cosmo Dude
20-04-2004, 07:13 PM
The reset the ECU proposal is more to do with performance changes not driving styles. I personaly don't do it as time/distance will do the job and a lot quicker that you've been led to believe.