PDA

View Full Version : New kid on the block - 1800 engine

Niel
23-01-2003, 05:38 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid9]Hi Guys,
My name is Niel, I'm from South Africa. I've been checking out some of your rides and am very impressed.
Locally we only have a 1800 DOHC model Astina, mine is Purple in colour. Performance and Fuel consumption not all that great, but truly a Sexy machine. I would like to know, How much more performance will I get if I put the K&N Filter, Free flow exhaust with Branches and the Unichip ???
I would like to also post some Pictures of my Astina on the Site but don't know how ???
Later !![/color:post_uid9]

Critter
23-01-2003, 05:52 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Welcome aboard Niel :)

Glad you are enjoying the Oz form of Astina Lunacy.

Others better to answer your questions so will leave to them.

Pix on the site, send an email or pm to Tony (Lantis) via profile or one of his posts.

Mine is the feature car this month :D[/color:post_uid0]

Toyboy
23-01-2003, 06:32 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid14]Yeah [b:post_uid14]welcome [/b:post_uid14]from me too dude :p
As Critter said send your pics to Lantis :) As for gaining a bit more performance,getting a K&N Pod filter and free flowing exhaust will make a difference,[b:post_uid14]BUT[/b:post_uid14] when installing a pod it is necessary to also install some cool air induction,if you dont the engine can actually run worse :( I personally have never had a Uni Chip,so i cant tell you the benefits,But i do have a FSE Power Boost Valve(an adjustable fuel pressure regulator) which allows you to raise the fuel pressure which increases the power slightly and makes it more responsive :p
All these together do make a noticable difference,it just depends how far you want your pocket to stretch

*Catch ya :D[/color:post_uid14]

Niel
23-01-2003, 06:44 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Thanks Guys, for the welcome.

Critter, In these parts your car's called the "Etude sportswagon", only released in 2002 here, your's is very nice !!

Toyboy, Apperently the "unichip" adjusts the fuel pressure to peak !! I don't want to tamper with the engine as yet, been reading alot about guy's on the "site" putting in turbo's, what exactly will have to be modified for me to put in a turbo ???
How much better performance will I get ???[/color:post_uid0]

Sandyman
23-01-2003, 06:50 AM
[color=#FF0000:post_uid0]welcome[/color:post_uid0]

zoom
23-01-2003, 07:37 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]welcome to the site. What part of Sth Africa are you from I have family in Port Alfred and others in Johanesgurg (spelling not sure) any way nice to have more people from over seas[/color:post_uid0]

Toyboy
23-01-2003, 08:31 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Yeah Neil,the unichip will adjust the fuel pressure to peak which isnt always good,with the Adjustable fuel pressure reg you can ajust it to what you want,that way you can turn it down when you feel like it to save fuel ???
And it is a hell of alot cheaper than a unichip :p Its your choice :)
Another thing i forgot was to tell you to avdance your timing a little and run a premium unleaded(higher octane) it also helps
All these things together add up to a nice little gain,not as much as a turbo charger but :(
Like i said b4 it all depends on your budget :D[/color:post_uid0]

Niel
23-01-2003, 10:24 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]I'm From Johannesburg,
We have plenty of astina's on the Road but none of them really "done up" !!
Toyboy : How do I adjust the timing ??? (might be a stupid question but I'm not a Mac)
Just to compare : What would you guys pay for a K&N Filter ??? ......in USD ???[/color:post_uid0]

BigMal
24-01-2003, 02:20 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid1]I would say about $45-60US as they are around $90-120 here.

Regards

Mal[/color:post_uid1]

Dogo
24-01-2003, 08:56 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Hi Neil, Welcome !!

My family is from South Africa too. I have family in Johannesburg, Pretoria, Durban, Cape Town and Drakensburg.

I was making Koeksisters last night, I cant seem to find them in shops over here :(

Just be careful adjusting ur timing, its possible to mess things up otherwise.

Dave[/color:post_uid0]

Toyboy
24-01-2003, 09:36 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][b:post_uid0]Neil Wrote[/b:post_uid0]:
[QUOTEToyboy : How do I adjust the timing *(might be a stupid question but I'm not a Mac)
[/quote:post_uid0]

Its not not hard dude,to advance the timing the distributer has to be turned slightly clockwize ??? ,Firstly there should be 2 bolts that hold the distributer tight,those need to be loosened,and then as said previously twist the distributer slightly clockwize!This should be done proerly with a timing light :cool:
It can be done without 1 just mark the original spot b4 to move it!
It should be moved only in small increments,if advanced to far the engine will ping,which can kill a motor [B]REAL QUICK[B]
To get the full benefit of the advanced timing,you will need to use a high octane fuel ???
You will also notice that your idle will rise will the advancement!!
You'll find that if done correctly in conjunction with a higher octane fuel,that it will be a more responsive to drive :)

Good luck :)[/color:post_uid0]

Niel
25-01-2003, 04:18 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Thanks Toyboy, I'll try it this Weekend !!

Hope I don't F#@K it up china !!

Question : I can't get "clear side indicator lenses" here, I want to import a set. Can someone help ????
e-mail : ssh.qa@supremespring.co.za

So Dave, What do you think about South Africa ????, Where do you stay ???

Have you been here before ???[/color:post_uid0]

burvixen
25-01-2003, 06:17 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid6]Howzit niel hope things are lekker their in Joburg............

Anyways guys im also from south africa and I live in Bloemfontein right in the middle of South africa......

What a lovely car to drive :) mine is a 1997 white dropped 40mm to the floor some bsa racing rims on and some serious ice also standard motor except got the powerflow freeflow system on 4-2-1 header done by custom exhaust and performance and a unichip with a kn pan filter...... very nice increase although the biggest gain was from the xhaust and filter not the chip.......chip made it real smooth through the revs ...

Excellent site.......
ps mazda in south africa is also mad on their pricing seems to be world wide[/color:post_uid6]

Niel
25-01-2003, 06:42 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]You know it's always Coooooool in Joburg !! ...Bloem ???? ....We'll meet next time I go to Cape town .... Boet !!

Mine is Purple .........also got the Exhaust and branches, not dropped yet, but have some question's for you on the RIDE, got front spoiler, side sill's and 17" TSW edge mag !!How many Kw did you get when Dyno the chip ???
Are we gonna get some "Clear lenses" from oversea's or do you know where I can get some locally ???[/color:post_uid0]

Toyboy
25-01-2003, 07:09 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid14][b:post_uid14]Neil Wrote :[/b:post_uid14]

[QUOTEThanks Toyboy, I'll try it this Weekend !!

Hope I don't F#@K it up china !![/quote:post_uid14]

Just remember man,only small increments,like a couple of millimeters,and remember to put higher octane fuel in it too :D
Cheers :D[/color:post_uid14]

burvixen
25-01-2003, 07:19 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]hey what you mean ??? just joking................

it went on standard at 89kw after the fitment off everything it pushed about 94-95kw but the torgue curve was extremely flat which makes more responsive to drive I did this when the car had about 54 000km on the clock im now licking on 229 000 km believe it or not got 15 inch hoops on in bloem and free state 17 " will be wrecked on the 1st trip out off the garage :-> thank you thabo and his friends......... Where did you get the kit from for the car and send me some fotos.... plze like to see yours will send you some of mine.....any idea where i can get a new motor for cheap i really love this car .....
clear lenses good idea we can talk....[/color:post_uid0]

Niel
25-01-2003, 08:14 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Toyboy : I will change the Fuel ..........So you saying that I should turn the Distributor until the Idle is higher ????
How can this be bad for the engine ????

Only 95Kw, I thought at least about 110Kw .........229000 Km mines is on 90000 also 1997,
Was there a difference in fuel consumption ?????
Did you ever take out the motor ??? ....I'll check around for a new motor !! Kit from Autostyle !!

I'll e-mail the Pic's on Monday !! ....[/color:post_uid0]

burvixen
25-01-2003, 09:35 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]I have no idea where they measured on the fly wheel at the wheels..... excellent looking for someone to fit mine that wont make a hash of the job the guys here in bloem love their pop rivets :angry: well it sounds so nice that my foot actually got heavier and if you do floor it it uses alot......otherwise round about the same need someone to do a major service again.....no never been lifted but it is really noisy on the lifters and uses oil more and more also its smoking really badly would rather take a new motor and work on that until this one i have in dies.... do the head and cams. :cool:

cheers[/color:post_uid0]

O-LYM-PIC
25-01-2003, 11:39 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]wow i didnt no we had so many south africans on this board.

amazing[/color:post_uid0]

Toyboy
26-01-2003, 12:33 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid11]Im a bit worried about you doing it Neil ??? It should be done with a timing light,See the correct timing is meant to be 10+1deg standard on the 1.8DOHC 4cy motor :cool:
It has been said b4 somewhere that our motors can handle upto 16deg safely b4 it pings,but it also depends on the condition of the motor & fuel that you use :p
Do you know the sound of a motor pinging under load?? I just dont want to to wreck anything,cause take no offense to this but,it sounds like you dont know that much about it really,just looking out for you dude :)
Have you got some1 thats a little more technically minded that can help ya?[/color:post_uid11]

Niel
26-01-2003, 06:37 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]You're right dude !!

I don't know much about timing !! .....I'll get someone to do it for me, with your spec's !! ..........thanks for the support china !!

Burvixen : Maybe someone on the site can tell you whether it's better to repair what you've got, than to replace it !!
Re-con your engine sound's better to me !![/color:post_uid0]

burvixen
28-01-2003, 04:05 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]:D Wouldnt beleive it friend of mine pulled the head this weekend and had a look to see whats going on because its was really bothering me....
good news is it seems the rings and pistons are still fine its just the head that appears to need work...... but Im gonna doe the bottom end while im at it and see if can maybe "stroke" it to 2.0 liter any ideas on this anyone???[/color:post_uid0]

BigMal
29-01-2003, 02:45 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid1]Crank and rods out of a 2.0L SP20.
Will be good for revs but not so good for torque.
My preference is to bore it 2mm to get a 85mmx85mm
square engine(loose term) These are the best for
both revs and torque and found on engines like the GTR
RB26 and GTIR motors. Not sure if the block can take
it without sleeving but is what I want to do. You could
try both and get a 2.1L with 85mmx92mm.

Regards

Mal[/color:post_uid1]

burvixen
29-01-2003, 04:49 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]:) thanks mal I appreciate it will have a look at it ..[/color:post_uid0]

azaudio
16-05-2003, 06:51 AM
Hey Niel Im from East London in S.A

Recently fitted Simota Cone(pod) and other than the anoying KATUNK sound is really has made a difference

NB keep that filter cool