PDA

View Full Version : Stock 1997 Astina - help me with a new stereo

pinger
25-08-2005, 11:42 AM
Hey guys,

I am the proud owner of a one owner well loved 1997 Mazda Astina 2.0 V6.

The stereo is original. It is a nice unit, 2 x front door mounted speakers, 2 x rear door mounted speakers, and 1 x centre channel in dash.

Overall, the unit is a bit average at higher volumes, and the volume knob and some other minor wear issues on the unit bother me.

I would like to replace with a unit that gives me a nice sound. I am not out for a huge soundign system, and I would prefer that it maintains the interior of the car, ie in the original mounts, no boot mounting etc.

Anyone have any suggestions. I am budgeting about $900, about $400 ish for a good head unit, and 2 x front with splits, + 2 x rears.

I am unsure what to do about the centre, whether to simply disconnect or otherwise, as the higher freqs should be picked up byt the addition of the splits.

I am in Perth, anyone recommend a good audio shop??

all input appreciated.

ssman
25-08-2005, 05:07 PM
i have a sony am/fm mini disc player for sale if you r interested $125..cost $700 used for about 18mths

Dogo
25-08-2005, 07:22 PM
i would forget the rears and spend the extra $$ on some better fronts and a small amp.

until you get into the $1k+ range the heat units all sound pretty much the same. Good speakers make a huge difference though :)
tip: Look for something thats easy to use

If ur in Vic the Total Recoil splits give very very good sound for the price and many SQ competition cars use them too. They'd need a good amp though.

CHiMPY
25-08-2005, 07:53 PM
Every time I read a thread about car audio the general concensus is that the Response splits from Jaycar are exceptional value for money.

mike_d87
27-08-2005, 12:04 PM
i got clarion in mine, just the head unit, splits in the front mounted on some mdf and rear 6.5s for about 800 all up. it goes pretty good