PDA

View Full Version : 42mazda service costs... - Rip off or not.

Asterix
12-03-2003, 11:34 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid9]Is it just me or is Mazda ripping off it's customers on servicing prices???
I am due in the next week or two for my 60,000kms service.
Mazda quoted $430.
Ultratune quoted me $225. sOUNDS GOOD, BUT i'VE HEARD SOME OF THOSE PLACES CUT COENERS, ETC. - (OOPS, CAPS LOCK.).

What do you think?
Is there any reason why you would go to a Mazda dealership instead of another qualified mechanic?
The thing is, a lot a dealerships have 17 y.o. apprentices working on these. My girlfriend experienced this & the sump plug leaked through those d/heads only finger tensioning it!
I would be interested to hear what others say.[/color:post_uid9]

kyra
13-03-2003, 12:03 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]I just had my 20k service... it was 275... real rip off, but what can you do? until i get to 50k, i'll keep going to mazda... city mazda i have found very good... but alignment is a lil out now...just petty stuff.
the guy said to definately get springs for the sp, but advised against any muffler... i guess i'll wait and see.

cheers,

Bill[/color:post_uid0]

MrShadow
13-03-2003, 01:34 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Ouch!! My service costs around $200 (usually a little less), but I don't go to Mazda. We have a very good mechanic we've gone to for years. However, my Dad has a 2000 323 Protege, and he takes it to Mazda. Not sure what he pays though...[/color:post_uid0]

ABC
15-03-2003, 01:48 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]I've taken my car to Mazda and payed 180-200 before but it really depends on what you get done. My 100,000 service cost me $800 because I told them to check why the exhaust was heating up so much under the console.

In my experience, if you don't tell them that there is anything wrong then they won't find anything. If you say 'Oh its been making a rattle over here' then they find six things to replace that don't actually fix the problem.

Just a thought. Might depend on the particular Mazda Service Centre as well. I would say that they are owned by the franchisee not Mazda so Mazda don't actually have all that much control over what goes on. I could be completely wrong though. :)[/color:post_uid0]

sik astina
15-03-2003, 02:31 AM
[color=#0000FF:post_uid0]I dont take my car to Mazda anymore. they over charge and after i got my car back after the respray i took it to them and when i got it back they damage my front bar :angry: .(the paint was only a week old) i made them paid for it. :D

so now i do my own services myself and only cost $30 :)

-Mick[/color:post_uid0]

marckhor
19-03-2003, 01:22 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]I had my Hardtop serviced at Penfold Mazda 2 weeks back for $170. This includes new spark plugs, Air filter and oil change. Of course they have those multi point checks. They also greased the slides on my brakes for free.

You may want to check it out. The basic oil change is only $90 and special is $149.

Ultratune wanted to charge me $125 for a minor oil change or $225 for the major service.[/color:post_uid0]

Rupewrecht
19-03-2003, 01:27 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]i used to get mine serviced at Penfold mazda for $169 as past of the Second-hand fixed price service (i think it was called)

never had any complaints :)[/color:post_uid0]

Asterix
20-03-2003, 03:45 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Got 3 quotes for my 60 thou servo.
$430 (city Mazda - they also said if it was a BJ Series 2 it was an extra $55), $440 & $508.81(Penfold's). WTF?! They justified the 500 bucks coz the fuel filter is $130.
Asked what difference is for the price & all they said was a facelift. What, they charge you coz the car looks better?
The dude said, "I dunno"
Does Mazda have a webpage that lists all the things they do on each scheduled service.
If so, I may consider Ultratune if they do the same thing for $225.
One thing I found interesting was that Mazda "tighten your chassis bolts".[/color:post_uid0]

mugwump
23-03-2003, 05:01 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]i've just gone out to by myself tools needed to do a basic service, eg. oil change, plugs, etc. i just don't trust workshops, period (especially when it comes to asking them to use my own oil).

my question is, is there anything significant that a workshop would do that i couldn't do myself?

some people say they do an engine tune up - reset base idle and timing, but i thought in an EFI car that's all electronically controlled?[/color:post_uid0]

sam_seventyseven
13-05-2003, 01:14 PM
Yeah, I have a 2001 SP20 and it costs heaps to service it at Mazda. I go to Max Kirwan Mazda in Preston, Vic. I still go there though cos of warranty. It gives me a chance to pick on every little thing that bothers me and get them to look at it. Sometimes they do and sometimes they dont. But then I just tell them again and wait for them while they are doing it. They can be quiet lazy.

Its true, Mazda wont fix a problem even if they notice it, unless you tell them that the problem is there....