PDA

View Full Version : Rear muffler.. - Recommendations?

bmk
07-04-2003, 01:34 AM
[color=#000F22:post_uid0]Could anyone recommend a rear muffler which is fairly quiet, but still is good for performance?[/color:post_uid0]

Tony
15-06-2003, 06:51 PM
The tone of any performance muffler can be adjusted prior to being fitted. Go for a Lukey or a recognised name brand but just ask the installer to keep it quiet.

Toyboy
15-06-2003, 07:15 PM
I have a 2½ inch lukey turbo muffler sitting in my shed which was only on the car for a few months that id sell cheap :P
I ended up replacing it with a s/s cannon muffler,it wasnt to loud and was good performance wize :wink:

Cosmo Dude
15-06-2003, 08:14 PM
3" stainlees steel pipe and ear plugs :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sounds better with a Turbo at the motor end

Rod

Dazz
16-06-2003, 11:17 PM
how much will you sell that muffler for tony? the lukey turbo one?

Toyboy
16-06-2003, 11:36 PM
If you meant me dude ill sell it for $30,it was over $100 brandnew,its 1 that runs across the back like the standard 1 :wink:
I just dont want to see it rust away in the shed,i would prefer for it to be on some1's car :P
Heres a pic of the muffler

http://www.digitalpose.com/mbr/1/13511/p/358904_1726252198524483343_vl.jpg

Catch ya :wink:

Dazz
17-06-2003, 08:57 PM
thats nice i like that one but the only thing its a single eghaust,
i like the dual, but otherwise its nice, i got a dual at the moment but i dont think its a real good one and i dont like the noise it producers

Dazz
17-06-2003, 09:00 PM
thats nice i like that one but the only thing its a single eghaust,
i like the dual, but otherwise its nice, i got a dual at the moment but i dont think its a real good one and i dont like the noise it producers

Tony
17-06-2003, 10:17 PM
Dazz - go for it man. That's a good buy in any book. Pity I wasn't in the market for one - I'd take it off your hands.

JynX
17-06-2003, 11:18 PM
Dual being twin on one side or twin being similar to this :

http://www.focus.net.au/images/astina/rear.jpg

My setup cost around the $700 mark. Its a 2.5" from extractors back with a custom twin tip sports muffler. The Tips are 4" 3a racing tips. I havent put a resonator in yet but its going to go in soon as its starting to get a little drony on the highway but love the sound when shes high in the rev range. I also need to upgrade to a high flow cat which will be around the $250 mark. Im still debating the resonator as I want to put in the turbo motor and this will quiten the exhaust anyway.

Twin tips on the same side can be done with a simple tip so this muffler is still suitable for that application.

Toyboy
17-06-2003, 11:24 PM
This Muffler is now SOLD

bmk
17-06-2003, 11:25 PM
Major delayed reactions guys.. :lol:

I decided I might as well leave my existing muffler on there.. can't be bothered changing it nows haha

thanx for the replies though

Dazz
18-06-2003, 12:10 AM
yeah jynx its a twin muffler like yours but i only got 2 1/2'' tips on them im looking at 3 1/2'' or 4'' like yours cause it looks better,
yeah i was enquiring about a resignator aswell because its to dronie for me,
how much does a resignator reduce the drone?

JynX
18-06-2003, 08:53 PM
SikAstina has a similar setup w/ resonator and its ALOT quiter then mine. A resonator is only like $30-50 plus installation... not overly expensive.

I also though about sound proofing the boot first but never got around to it. I estimated it would be around $100 worth of mat and the results might not be all that good. Its really only the cabin noise that needs reducing... love setting off car alarms whilst parking at the local shops :)

Dazz
18-06-2003, 10:36 PM
how do u put ur pic up like the one showing ur exhaust?

i got quoted $90 for a resinator, ill guess i should shop around first.
[/code]

Pernod
23-06-2003, 07:43 PM
Another set of questions for everyone (ok, so i've been asking a heap of stupid questions, but its the only way to learn :-))...

I'm in NZ and have no restrictions around having a Cat (:-) WooHoo). What is involved in removing the cat, and what would peoples recommendations be?

Should I just get it cut out, or shoud I run a bigger pipe all the way from where the cat was back? I saw somewhere on here that the std pipe is 2 1/2" before the cat anyway - is this right?
If i did run a 2 1/2 back from where the cat was, would I need to replace the stock muffler? If its not essential to replace this, how much benefit would I get from an after market muffler?

All in all, is there much benefit from removing the Cat? I have grown up with 'cats are bad' but never having had one before, I'm not sure 'how bad' they are?

Thanks for all the help on the stupid questions guys! :-)

Rupewrecht
24-06-2003, 12:44 PM
(ok, so i've been asking a heap of stupid questions, but its the only way to learn :-))

there are no stupid questions, just stupid people

/rupewrecht looks at pr1mo :P

Pernod
24-06-2003, 01:22 PM
Lol :-) I orignilly thought this was a dig at me, then I saw the last line!
Hehehe :wink:

So, any thoughts on this?

I know its probably a strange question to ask when almost everyone here is forced to run a cat...

BigMal
24-06-2003, 01:42 PM
You exhaust is limited by the smallest section of pipe so if you leave
your 2 inch muffler on then you wont really get an increase at all.
Get a chambered over a straight through as they are quieter and
have better backpressure for low end torque. As for the whole CAT
thing I think its a minimal restriction I have heard guys quote dyno
gains but for me with a 3" and 3" Cat I cant control boost my exhaust
flows so well so it cant be that bad. Think that you will take it off
from a money perspective as it saves buying a new one or having
your existing one modified for the larger exhaust.

Regards

Mal

Pernod
24-06-2003, 01:56 PM
thanks for that. :wink:

Thats just the answer I was after :-)

Pernod
24-06-2003, 05:31 PM
Ok, just went and saw one of my brothers friends (and one of the best mechanics in town) to get his take.

He recommended leaving the cat on the car as there is apparently talk of introducing regulations over here somtime in the medium future.

However, he said the best bang for my buck would be redo from the cat back and the introduction of a set of extractors. Anyone wish to comment on this option?

He also suggested that the best step after that would be to change the cams (and for the sake of a couple of hunderd bucks, why not!).

BTW, if your anywhere near Wellington NZ, check out total turbo up ngaronga (sp?) :wink: :D

BigMal
25-06-2003, 12:16 AM
If you can get Cams for a couple of hundred dollars let me know.
For some reason the 4cyl DOHC cams over here cost a fortune like
$800 a pair. I used to buy 454 Chev cams with huge lift for $240
and there is a truckload of weight/metal in them I dont know where
the justification $$$ for a set of 4cyl cams is.

Agree with the Cat back exhaust inc keeping the Cat. Others can fill
you in about their feeling on using extractors I haven't used them on
the Astina.

Regards

Mal

Pernod
25-06-2003, 05:34 AM
I'm not sure where he was going to get the cams from, but I think he said something about the jap version (which i have) has different cams to the OZ/NZ equivalent.
I sort of got lost somewhere in the conversatin over cams, but Dave has a habit of pulling off miracles when it comes to these sorts of things so i'll let you know what happens.

I'll let you know how the extractors work out ;-)

BigMal
25-06-2003, 12:30 PM
Dan or Cosmo (Whoever has the Workshop Manuals)
Any chance of scanning the cam profile page for the NA.
Would be good to just have the specs for comparison.

Regards

Mal

Cosmo Dude
25-06-2003, 01:19 PM

Regards

Mal

That's volume 1, I haven't got that yet but as new questions are coming to mind it won't be long.

Rod

Rupewrecht
25-06-2003, 04:51 PM

Regards

Mal

Nah, i dont have the Manuals.

But i need to go see my engine builder to get my cam specs for the one that got reground, and i think it had the specs for the standard ones on the jobsheet.