PDA

View Full Version : Pod filter

zaa
02-11-2002, 10:02 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]CAN ANYONE PLEASE TELL ME HOW THE ASTINA GOES WITH
A POD FILTER WITH OUT COLD AIR INDUCTION.AND HOW TO DO IT? DO YOU JUST REMOVE THE STANDARD AIR BOX AND PUT IT ON AFTER THE LITTLE ELECTRONIC BOX.[/color:post_uid0]

BigMal
04-11-2002, 09:52 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid1]Yes as long as you buy a filter with an 80mm opening
it will connect up to the MAF OK. Better to buy a 90deg
bend of 3" stainless pipe and put the filter over the hole
next to the guard. Air gets up there from the front bumper.

Regards

Mal[/color:post_uid1]

Provo
04-11-2002, 09:55 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]So BigMal you'd recommend one of these for an increased performance? What are the adverage prices? Wont they just 'clip on'? Or do you actually have to do some fiddling?
Thanks, Joe[/color:post_uid0]

BigMal
04-11-2002, 10:23 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid1]Yeah its not like adding a turbo but you do notice the
car is a little easier to rev. I have had the one K&N airfilter
for almost 5 years now and the only reason I need
to replace it is initially it was not supported well enough
and banged againt the guard causing a wear hole in it.
Cost me $90 which after 5 years is cheaper than buying
stock paper elements.

Regards

Provo
05-11-2002, 01:22 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]So you'd say go for one? Cause the Astina is a little harsh in the higer revs...Well i think so anyway! Are they just plain bolt on?[/color:post_uid0]

BigMal
05-11-2002, 11:04 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid1]It does help so yeah. If your not after the race look engine
bay just want the result would recomend the panel over the
pod as most people ie me are too lazy to do the CAI and just
add the pod which can reduce the improvement by sucking
in hotter air from the engine bay over outside colder air. The
factory box is already dragging from inside the guard so
replacing the panel will allow it to flow more.

regards

IZG-00D
13-11-2002, 08:46 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]from experience, pod after market filters are a defect items for cars now... they do help little abit with the performance but just be careful later if cops pull you over for inspection and finds a pod filter...[/color:post_uid0]

O-LYM-PIC
26-11-2002, 12:05 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]so can u just take the air flow meter out, and stick the pod on??? does anythin need to be done to the management system at all??

sik astina
26-11-2002, 07:28 PM
[color=#0000FF:post_uid5]you need the airflow meter. with out that the car wont run property.You just put the pod filter after the meter.

-Mick[/color:post_uid5]

Osprey06
02-12-2002, 12:41 AM
[color=#810541:post_uid0]see
http://www.geocities.com/osprey06/parts_tx3/DSC00018.JPG
and
http://www.geocities.com/osprey06/parts_tx3/DSC00029.JPG
for an example of a similar setup on an 87 b6t powered tx3 laser.

You can see the huge pod filter (considerably larger than the one on my b6t 323) and the adaptor plate connected to the standard air flow metre (silvery metal with the black plastic top and the flat plug into it and the big black pip out the back of it). *I'm not sure about the Astinas, as I really havn't looked, but with my 323, the standard afm was supported on the air box (which held the old filter). *When I replaced this with the pod I had, I made some rather dodge bracketry to support the afm. *I moves a little, but is limited and the filter/afm do not hit anything. *Like Mal, I have been too lazy to run cold air too it, although I havn't had it running for long. *If anything, I noticed a reduction in low/mid range torque, but (again, as Mal said) the car runs noticeably harder and smoother to redline from 3.5k/4k rpm and up.

One thing to consider is that you need to clean and reoil the filter. *I made the mistake of leaving the bonnet open inthe sun while working on my car & a mates car and all the oil int he filter dried. *No biggie, thou. I bought a clean and oil kit for it for $25 from autopro - which should last a good while.

On the whole, I'd say the pod wasn't really worth doing (I had the filter for 1.5. years before I decided to actually put it on ???, but that will probably change once I run cold air to it.

olympic, nothing should need to be done to the stock engine management.[/color:post_uid0]

O-LYM-PIC
02-12-2002, 03:44 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]no i was talkin about removing the afm altogether. what does it do there?? ive noticed that not all that many other cars have them.

also i was playin around with the air box and before the afm, theres this plastic tube that runs accross the tops of the radiator. this tube has no holes in it (to let air in) and is only hollow for about half of it. i was wondering what the point of this tube is?? i took the joinin pipe that connects the afm to the tube out and when accelerating u can hear the difference. so i was wondering how the air got in, cause i couldnt find any other openings?? and what the point of that tube??

ok thanx (probably a stupid question)[/color:post_uid0]

BigMal
02-12-2002, 03:53 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid1]You cant take it off mate. The Air Flow Meter or more
likely on your car a Mass Air Flow is what measures the air
so the computer can add the right fuel. Cars that don't
have them run MAP from the manifold but this is not as
good as a MAF but if you go aftermarket its all you can do.

Sorry to slam your idea

sik astina
02-12-2002, 04:01 AM
[color=#0000FF:post_uid4]Yeah, Mal has it right...

My wire came off the sensor, when I stopped at the lights and tried accelorating the car lost all power big time and it was backfiring...I was going nowhere lol

That's why you need it. :cool:

-Mick[/color:post_uid4]

O-LYM-PIC
02-12-2002, 04:05 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]ok then, thats alrite.
but what about the tube ontop of the radiator that leads into the afm?? i dunno if its on the newer astinas aswell, but i asume that it is.[/color:post_uid0]

shaggy 1800
04-04-2005, 11:47 AM
That thing thats on top of your radiator and runs to your air box is to help with a start on a cold morning. If you live some where like auzzie of NZ you probly wont notice if it is gone.

Cosmo Dude
04-04-2005, 01:45 PM
That thing thats on top of your radiator and runs to your air box is to help with a start on a cold morning. If you live some where like auzzie of NZ you probly wont notice if it is gone.
Ummm,
On a cold morning the radiator is the same temp as the environment until the car warms. By then you don't need to pre-heat the air.
Older cars would draw air from over the exhaust manifold which heats quickly.

shaggy 1800
04-04-2005, 05:11 PM
Good point that was just the idea that i had as i can see now it is totaly wrong. Cosno dude do you have any idea what it's for?? cause i just ripped mine out tonight. LOL

Cosmo Dude
04-04-2005, 05:17 PM
It draws cooler air from outside the engine bay. Some people have enhanced theirs in an attempt to draw in even more, others have replaced the box with cold air induction with pod filters which live in the L/H guard.

shaggy 1800
04-04-2005, 05:24 PM
so does it just cool the air before it goes through the airfilter? Do you know how the enhanced it? cheers for the help

Cosmo Dude
04-04-2005, 06:04 PM
It doesn't cool the air. Air inside the engine bay is warmer than the ambient air outside.
As we know from high school physics things contract in the cold and expand in heat. Cooler air from ouside the engine bay is denser and contains more oxygen. The ECU measures this and adds more fuel and hence more power, not much but it's cheap and better than nothing.

Called CAI there are plenty of other threads on this topic.