PDA

View Full Version : Standard audio components?

sirex
15-03-2003, 08:25 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Hi I have just bought a 2.0 V6 hardtop, and was wondering what the standard audio components are?

I was surprised to find a 5 speaker system including decent 6x9's, which I believe are Bose. I would have assumed these were aftermarket, except that I have seen these in another Lantisl, does anybody else have them, were they an option or what? The system pumps pretty well, if it is factory :)

Cheers[/color:post_uid0]

Dogo
15-03-2003, 08:43 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]the 6x9s in the hardtop are standard.
Although i dont have any idea what brand the standard ones were.

The front doors have 5x9s. Again, i dont know what brand, just that they were crappy paper cone things :)

if ur talking abt 5 speakers, then u possibly mean the speaker in the dash. There has been much debate as to whether this is part of the stereo or not. When I removed mine i certainly didnt find any wires going to it, and none of the astina wiring diagrams I've seen mention this speaker connecting to the stereo, but some ppl say theirs was connected.

If u need help getting the dash apart to get to the stereo , just ask :) the easiest way is to remove the large part of the dash that goes over the dials and down to the centre console. only a few screws. The factory unit comes out with a 2 pronged tool, or u can shove something into the holes to get it out.

Dave[/color:post_uid0]

mrpayner
15-03-2003, 10:56 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0]The front doors have 5x9s...[/quote:post_uid0]

Opps! That should've read 5x7's.

Adam[/color:post_uid0]

sirex
16-03-2003, 03:40 AM
[quote:post_uid0="Dogo"][color=#000000:post_uid0]If u need help getting the dash apart to get to the stereo , just ask :) the easiest way is to remove the large part of the dash that goes over the dials and down to the centre console. only a few screws. *The factory unit comes out with a 2 pronged tool, *or u can shove something into the holes to get it out.

Dave[/color:post_uid0][/quote:post_uid0]
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Cheers, but I have already got my headunit in. Also my 5th (dash) speaker dosn't go :(, surprised it's even there.[/color:post_uid0]

Rupewrecht
17-03-2003, 09:06 PM
[quote:post_uid0="Dogo"][color=#000000:post_uid0]if ur talking abt 5 speakers, then u possibly mean the speaker in the dash. *There has been much debate as to whether this is part of the stereo or not. When I removed mine i certainly didnt find any wires going to it, and none of the astina wiring diagrams I've seen mention this speaker connecting to the stereo, but some ppl say theirs was connected.[/color:post_uid0][/quote:post_uid0]
[color=#000000:post_uid0]well, mine [i:post_uid0]was[/i:post_uid0] before Dave got at it :p[/color:post_uid0]

Dogo
18-03-2003, 12:34 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]connect it back up then !!

i still dont believe urs was ever connected.[/color:post_uid0]

Rupewrecht
18-03-2003, 12:38 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Well, it used to make sound! i remember sticking my ear close to it to see if it did!

no idea how it could be connected unless it's wired in to the front door speakers near the door jamb or something.

eh, it's a good spot for a HUD now :;):[/color:post_uid0]

Dogo
18-03-2003, 08:51 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]meh. . could've been sound coming up the dash from the door speakers. I dunno.

I dont remember even finding spare wires from the stock stereo's wiring harness. unless like u said it hooks up after the wires have left the unit. In which case it should still work!

( thanx for the correction btw Adam :) )

i've had my eye on that spot for lots of things. I was tempted to put the RSM there, but i really like where it is now. Its possibly better to leave things less obviously in view to ppl i spose.

a HUD hey? a proper one or just a mount for the W3D control unit ? The HUDs I've seen looked like crap. But im sure there are better ones ![/color:post_uid0]

Rupewrecht
18-03-2003, 09:50 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Nah a proper HUD. Dunno whats'a available - it was just a random idea, i couldn't think what else to put there

My W3D controller has been hacked up anyway...and i wouldn't like to leave it in the sun. But i guess you could say the same about a HUD being in full sun too.[/color:post_uid0]

mrpayner
18-03-2003, 10:56 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]I can say that my centre speaker works!! :D I put my hand over it and it was like pulling a sock over a persons head. It sounded all muffled!! It's interesting though that some people's aren't connected. Very interesting.

Adam[/color:post_uid0]

Trav
18-03-2003, 11:46 PM
[color=#3A6EA5:post_uid0]The centre speaker is connected to a separate wire off the original head unit. When I popped in my new head unit I did not connect it to anything, so that's why mine does not work.

Anyhow if you still have orinial unit, speaker should work (unless it's blown) otherwise if you have swapped your unit it most likely will be inoperable.[/color:post_uid0]