PDA

View Full Version : Loss in performance - What could be the cause?

CityEnd
28-01-2003, 07:54 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]hey guy,

my cars been acting really slugish lately, not performing that well. I got a stock 1.8. i don't know what the problem is.
i got it serviced as it was around that time(80,000km), but it didn't seem to solve the problem.

it seems to be lagging alot in the low revs area... when taking off at a stationary position, it seems like taking off at 2nd gear, it takes a while it get moving.

so any ideas on what the problem is? is it the cluch? it's kind of the same feeling as when the cluch isn't fully up.

during my last service, the macanic said that I would have to replace the timing belt on my next service. so what symptoms would a car have if it had a worn timing belt?

I'm thinking it's either the cluch or timing belt. am i right or is there something else?

any input would be great,

thank
chris[/color:post_uid0]

sik astina
28-01-2003, 08:48 PM
[color=#0000FF:post_uid0]whats your air filter like? i know when my pod is heaps dirty the car doesnt take off right. open it up and have a look if its dirty. worth a try :)

-Mick[/color:post_uid0]

mrpayner
28-01-2003, 10:45 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Chris,

I'm not sure what petrol you may be using, but if you filled up at a place other than your normal station you may have got a crap batch of petrol...

What do you use regularly??

Adam[/color:post_uid0]

IZG-00D
28-01-2003, 11:18 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]get a FULL service. change everything and that should fix your problem... you will notice that your car revs healthy notes after...[/color:post_uid0]

CityEnd
29-01-2003, 02:44 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]hey guys, thanks for your input.

but i don't think the prob is found yet.

Mick, yeah the last service i got they replaced the airfillter, so there is a new one in there now.

Adam, there hasn't been a change in the petrol station i go to, I always go this shell near my place, all though i usually get normal unleaded and sometimes optimax. that shouldn''t be the prob, coz I've been doing the same thing right?

Pete, last service, which was on thursday, i had the following replaced, ait filter, oil filter, oil, sparks.... um i dunno what else, is that considered as a FULL service?

problem started before the service so the cause can't be coz of the service. all though servce made it better in some ways, it's still not as responsive on low revs.

chris[/color:post_uid0]

BigMal
29-01-2003, 03:01 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid1]A dodgy timing belt would result in the timing being retarded
which would mean the car would not pick up well so maybe
the guy had problems timing the car right. Be carefull as
when they let go its smashed valves, damaged pistons you
name it as the cams will keep the valves open whilst the
pistons are still moving. If you got the cash replace it now
its not a major job for a mechanic its just fiddly to get all
the cogs lined up right.

Regards

Mal[/color:post_uid1]

IZG-00D
29-01-2003, 03:34 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]no chris, thats a minor service. you should advice your mech about the weird noise or any situation you find while driving the car. just get a full service (this include change of timing belt) should be A ok after. remind them that you already had the oil/air filter change and dont require it.
from what i remember, timing belt should be change on your first 100,000km... but if you've been driving the car hard then you definitely may need to get it check.
WHAT MAL SAID...[/color:post_uid0]

BigMal
29-01-2003, 03:51 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid1]I wouldn't use the term full service as to me that doesn't mean
change the timing belt. I would specifically ask for the belt
to be replaced. However first I would like to know whether
the guy had problems tuning the car. Go back to him and
say that the car is not right since he serviced it and get
him to tell you why its not right. On the other possibles when
was the fuel filter last changed. Air filters and oil filters are
easy to check but fuel is not. Check your receipts of what
was done. Bad filter starves the engine so kills performance.

Regards

Toyboy
29-01-2003, 04:11 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid2]I was talking to a Mazda mechanic a while back about the probs associated with a timing belt snapping,and he told me that it wouldnt damage the engine,cause it was designed in a way that the parts would free spin or something like that ???
I might have worded it wrong,but you get my point :p
It would be interesting to find out a bit more,might have to look into it :)[/color:post_uid2]

BigMal
29-01-2003, 04:34 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid1]I wouldn't want to chance it. I have read on other mazda
sites about breaking a belt on a BP and it didn't end as
nicely as your mechanic says. I wouldn't want to take the
chance. The thought of piston hitting valve at velocity
doesn't sound good to me however you slice it.

Not knocking you Theo or your mechanic I am just saying
I wouldn't risk it.

IZG-00D
29-01-2003, 09:15 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0][quote:post_uid0="BigMal"]I wouldn't use the term full service as to me that doesn't mean
change the timing belt. *I would specifically ask for the belt
to be replaced.[/quote:post_uid0]
sorry mister mal...
full service to me means the mech checking everything and replacing what is needed to be replace. im sure if the mech is very honest, he will tell you what is going to be replace and or fix. cause it mite not only be the timing belt thats causing the problem, it could be something else. so this requires an overall checkup on the car...[/color:post_uid0]

BigMal
29-01-2003, 11:47 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid1]Not ragging on you man.
Just saying that you got to spit it out direct if you want things
done. Maybe you got a way cool mechanic that is on the ball
but when I have had whats called major services ala the 50k
and 80k and 100k no mention has been made about my
changing my timing belt which was replaced when I first
installed the motor anyway. Maybe I haven't been asked
because they are able to time it fine. I am just scepticle as
I never mentioned flushing the radiator which to me is vital
so when it fell apart all rusted out from not being flushed it
changed my mind again.

regards

IZG-00D
29-01-2003, 11:56 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]i was only beeing sarcastic... pay no attention to my fully sick mind. you are correct about "spit it out direct if you want things done". it all goes down to if your mech is good and honest on service. mine is...
CityEnd, just get everything check first before you start paying for the un-necessary repairs.[/color:post_uid0]

CityEnd
13-02-2003, 12:03 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]hey guys,
thanx for advice, i thought i'd update you with the sitution, well it turns out the problem was a worn clutch, everytime it lagged, it was cause the clutch was slipping =/

the macanic was pretty helpful, ringing around to find a best price for the clutch, and also giving the time to explain to me how the clutch works and showed me how worn my clutch was.

p/l was $515

the car is now running like a dream. =)[/color:post_uid0]