PDA

View Full Version : splits install - SP20

Fro-Daddy
05-10-2005, 06:29 PM
http://www.caraudioaustralia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=58545&pid=570511&st=0&#entry570511

sorry i can t be bothered to link all the pics again...

any suggestions?

Dogo
05-10-2005, 06:33 PM
u need to make a bracket out of mdf.

make it the right size to fit over the original 5x7 hole and screw into the original holes. then cut a hole in the middle and screw the speaker into that.

Fro-Daddy
05-10-2005, 06:37 PM
yea thats what i was thinkin...itd have 6 holes in total...

. .

. .
. .

would you nut n bolt them? i dont think the factory will hold too well going through the mdf and then into car either...

trim the plastic off?

goldsp
05-10-2005, 06:42 PM
make a spacer plate up to a 6"or 6.5" and your speaker selection will greatly increase.

i have 6.5"splits which go good . i recomend doing that

Fro-Daddy
05-10-2005, 07:01 PM
yea mine are 6.5" jaycar splits...

do you have 6 holes though? or did yours bolt right up and just needed and extra bit of space?

TStar
06-10-2005, 05:27 AM
http://img340.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mivoc11qs.jpg

Fro-Daddy
06-10-2005, 11:50 AM
that just a bracket you made up? or did you drill into the car?

goldsp
06-10-2005, 03:35 PM
you make up a mdf spacer bracket that covers the 5x7" hole and has a hole that accomodates your new 6 .5" splits

TStar
06-10-2005, 06:11 PM
or you can buy a 2pc set for like 10€
they're premade and avail in (i guess) any carhifistore... those are the ones for "Ford", but they're exactly the same...
i did some additional work, i filled the hollow back of the spacers with resin, so you can drill more holes through the plastic bracket for the speaker to hold properly.

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/4466/mivoc22hi.jpg

OFLA
06-10-2005, 06:32 PM
Yep, spacer is definatley the go, i have some simple MDF ones. Just make sure you dont make em to thick or your door trims wont fit flush back on!

goldsp
06-10-2005, 10:01 PM
Yep, spacer is definatley the go, i have some simple MDF ones. Just make sure you dont make em to thick or your door trims wont fit flush back on!

then you have to hack into your door trims re inforcement , which is messy

thin mdf spacers are the go

Fro-Daddy
07-10-2005, 11:34 AM
mdf spacers are made the crossovers are in place...only just fit though :P

just gotta seal it all and she'll be apples!

i used 9mm mdf btw, less than $10 for a sheet 1200x600...

now i just gotta drill for the tweeter and she'll be done...

Melbastina
07-10-2005, 12:28 PM
I got some nice mazdaspeed tweeter mounts out of a protege5 that click in behind the mirror where we usually just have that bit of black plastic, looks much better than mounting them straight onto the plastic IMO, but they were mighty hard to get (E-Bay from the states)...

A little bit of modification and my clarion tweeters fit in there beautiful, very neat...

That said, if there are any melbourne members that want to help me with some speaker mouning issues I am having I would love some help, I am sure I could arrange some cold beverages to help the day pass as well....

:cool:

Send me a PM if your up for it one saturday or something....

I got my speakers mounted/fitted a while back, was all good (mostly) but my g/f slammed the door after that something in there buzzed when I crank the sound, and clunked when I broke hard, I took it back to the place that did the fit.

Apparently the crossover had busted loose and was on the move.

Anyway, while he had the door apart I poked my head in and it looks like a bit of a shifty install.

It was all good for a while, now there is a buzz/rattle that has come back but is not as bad as last time, so I think it is time for more drastic measure, maybe sound deadening and I am sure one of the mounts will have stripped or something from being slammed (MDF screwed).

So like I said, any Melbourne member in the know with stereo gear, send me a PM!

Fro-Daddy
07-10-2005, 08:55 PM
melb...do it yourself so you know whats what...

this is the first one i have done, it may have taken me 2 arvo's but atleast i know that its not FULLY dodgey :P i will be doing my amp n sub aswell (when i get round to getting another one)...n then i gotta make my lil custom install :P

take some pics of how it is installed now any maybe we can help you on here...