PDA

View Full Version : V6 lantis power probs

fltcha
11-11-2002, 08:42 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Hi Guys,

i have a BA Lantis V6. What the prob is that their is a weird power lag some days. And a shudder through the car when accelerating.
I have had fuel filter replaced, ht leads replaced, spark plugs replaced at a Mazda Dealer here in NZ.
After getting the leads replaced all was good for a while, then the symptoms came back.
Also at low speeds in first and second its very twitchy and not easy to drive. Its a pain in the a!

Anyone have similar problems??

Cheers[/color:post_uid0]

BigMal
11-11-2002, 11:21 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid1]Have mazda or if you can put the computer into diagnostic
and look for any error codes. Could be there is a sensor
that is bad eg o2 which would mean the car would run
open loop which is at a safer setting than closed loop ie
less power. As for the shudder could be anything from
a broken engine mount to low fluid in the automatic to
a wheel alignment problem. Can you explain it a bit more
and is it only happening when you accelerate or just once
you are moving along.

Regards

Mal[/color:post_uid1]

Dogo
11-11-2002, 11:38 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]( or a bumpy road *:p )

i had a shudder once and found it was blockages in my air intake. *have a look, there might be leaves or just a dirty filter *???

btw - welcome fltcha !!

Dave[/color:post_uid0]

fltcha
12-11-2002, 08:00 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Hello again guys,

yeah had the o2 sensor replaced, didnt do much. its odd, when i get the car out of the mazda service centre, it goes pretty sweet for a bit. then turns to custard again.
But then somedays it goes real well. I hate intermittent problems.
The filter appears to be ok.
The wheel alignment was done as well.

The shudder seems to happen when ever you add full throttle. most noticable from 1st to 4th.

its a manual by the way.

i'm totally stumped. i thought it could be a clutch problem. but the mazda people thought electrical.

god knows, it sucks as when the car is running well it kicks ass! smooth and fun to drive!

engine mounts.. id say that would of been picked up during the service if they were dodgy, will check that out though.
thanks team[/color:post_uid0]

mugwump
12-11-2002, 08:33 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]i've had this problem on a number of occasions as well. *it seems to happen more when the aircon is on... the power just cuts out momentarily, as if there's a hole in the powerband. *have no idea what the problem is. *i've just added a bottle of fuel injector cleaner, so i'll see if that helps. *if not, i think its back to the mazda dealership.

haven't had the shudder problem though...

:([/color:post_uid0]

MrShadow
13-11-2002, 02:05 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Mugwump, that probelm happening with the AC is probably due to the AC compressor coming on. Chances are, if there is anything wrong with the engine to start off with, it would be more noticable than in an engine running beautifully.[/color:post_uid0]

BigBoyLemonade
13-11-2002, 03:25 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]check the water thermostat

they can cause heaps of problems and its only a $30 AUD part[/color:post_uid0]

RedTop
13-11-2002, 04:54 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid9]Hey Fltcha,

Welcome (another Kiwi) sorry to here about the current state of your V6!

Maybe nothing, but what fuel are you using in the car?

please say 98 unleaded!!! :D

not 96 or 91....... *:( *the fuel maybe causing some issues as we get **** grades for it here.

RT[/color:post_uid9]

fltcha
14-11-2002, 03:25 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]i'm using 91 as thats whats recomended. apparently!

its a bloody mystery bag really.

love the car tho, most people dont know what it is, and still comment on it, even tho ive had it for 2 years.

laters

thanks for everyones advice :)[/color:post_uid0]

mugwump
19-11-2002, 08:37 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]mrshadow, the car also pings under hard acceleration when the climate control is on... issue with fuel?[/color:post_uid0]

chuky
19-11-2002, 01:14 PM
[color=#FF0000:post_uid0]just a quick one for you, the 2.0l v6 is not intended to be used with anything less than 95 octane unleaded...even this is not the best for it (97,or 98 would be a significant improvement), at 91 you've gone real low and should be getting significant detonation (knocking) in the engine..... does it chug a little at low idle or when drivin at low rpm's????

for those of you who believe petrol to be expensive...in ireland its 89 cent a litre for 95 octane and 1 euro 20 cent for 98 octane....realy sucky...[/color:post_uid0]

MrShadow
19-11-2002, 10:12 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]I'd be inclined to agree with chucky on this one.[/color:post_uid0]

.::Astina|Brad::.
21-11-2002, 12:01 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Hey guys, My first message!!! Got 2 things to say.
1. This message board is awsome.

2 I have what seems to be the exact same problem as fltcha is having. I was hoping to come on here to get some solutions. I just had a major service and tune up, it's doesn't seem to be AS bad now, but it's still there, i told my mechanic about it, he thinks if the problem continues it may be the leads. I have a feeling it's to do with the computer managment thingy. Where can i go to get that checked out?

Would anyone advise not to use those engine cleaning products such as Wynns Spitfire - Injector cleaning fluid that u add to your fuel tank.

I only use Optimax petrol, could this be a problem too?

Thanx for any help

Brad.[/color:post_uid0]

ABC
21-11-2002, 01:45 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Hi Brad. Welcome to the Boards!!! :D

I've had the same sort of thing happen to me but it only happens occasionally and I usually just brush it off as a quirkiness of the engine. But now I'm not so sure *???

I've noticed when I'm messing around with the bonnet open that when you give the throttle a kick it seems to almost get choked before the extra fuel makes the thing roar off idle. Could be something to do with the intake ???

Has anyone done any messing around with high flow filters on the V6?

Regarding Optimax, I find that the car only runs better with Optimax in it. :)

Andrew.[/color:post_uid0]

Rupewrecht
21-11-2002, 01:53 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]w00t! another hardtop owner :D

maybe try an injector cleaner? tho you would think that mazda would have tried this...[/color:post_uid0]

mugwump
21-11-2002, 06:53 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]chuky... interesting comment abt the fuel... and you're probably right as well... but all the literature i can find says that it runs on 91 RON...

i alternate between 98 and 91... i get smoother power delivery using 98, but more economy (strangely enough) using 91.

i think after your advice i'll just stick to the premium stuff! :cool:[/color:post_uid0]

mugwump
21-11-2002, 06:55 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]chuky... interesting comment abt the fuel... and you're probably right as well... but all the literature i can find says that it runs on 91 RON...

i alternate between 98 and 91... i get smoother power delivery using 98, but more economy (strangely enough) using 91.

i think after your advice i'll just stick to the premium stuff! :cool:[/color:post_uid0]

bRaDiNhO
22-11-2002, 10:11 AM
[color=#FF0000:post_uid0]Was just reading the posts here, and read one finished with 'brad'. Confused the hell out of me, i didnt think i'd written it! I got some competition......

The Real Brad :D[/color:post_uid0]

27-11-2002, 10:22 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Could the real Brad please stand up!
=)

Hey guys.. haven't fixed my car yet.. but i bought some of that :: Nulon - Injector Cleaner :: stuff and it helped my cars actuall performance... but it ended up doing it's stupid shuddering thing... it's seriously like your trying to drive everywhere in 5th gear...

A mate of mine tells me that it's most likly the leads and maybe the distributor... he had the same problem with his VT Commodore, he replaced the leads, and all was sweet...

Does anyone know if replacing the leads is an easy thing to do???

Brad.[/color:post_uid0]

Trav
28-11-2002, 12:20 AM
[color=#3A6EA5:post_uid0]welcome to the newbies!!

About the shuddering - are you guys also having trouble with it possibly acting like it is 'missing' at idle.

If so then the steps to take are as follows:

Use premium fuel
Run an octane boost/injector clean for a few taks of petrol
Check tune

If none of these, then most likely HT leads or Distributer.

To check your HT leads, just lift them out one at a time while the car is running. If you find that the spark is jumping from anywhere along the bakerlite apart from the end where the clip for the spark plug is then you are gonna need new leads.
What is happening here is the spark is earthing to the engine and not to the spark plug, so it is literally missing. Non-gen Bosch aer fine and are 'bout AUD$120 or so. Easy to replace - take them off put new one on.

If this fails you will need your distributer tested by a mechanic - this will be an expensive proposition if you have to replace the distributer module, I have been told it could be up to $1K+[/color:post_uid0]

28-11-2002, 11:48 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid12]My mate went into Repco to get some prices on Leads for me. They said $194 for 8mm leads and that i'd need to put down a deposit and there is a 2-3 day wait... is this a normal price for a V6 astina? my mates commodore leads cost around $80 from REPCO as well... is this a rip off??? :(

Brad.[/color:post_uid12]

ABC
28-11-2002, 07:46 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Hi Brad,

The leads on the V6 are a little bit special because the plug end has to go all the way through the top of the head. The Commodore plugs probably have a standard plug end on them and attach on the end of the spark plug sticking out the side of the head. But I'm just guessing beacause I haven't stuck my head under the bonnet of a Commode for a while.

The V6 isn't all that widely distributed a car so they would probably have to get them made to order which would explain the wait for them and possibly some of the price.

I wouldn't call the price 'ludicrous' but it is on the high side I suppose. Haven't got new leads for my V6 yet so can't compare unfortunately. :([/color:post_uid0]

Dogo
28-11-2002, 07:57 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]dont know too much abt it, but could the problem be the timing belt ? ripped tooth etc ?[/color:post_uid0]

fltcha
02-12-2002, 04:05 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]So many answers...

Well like I said I had the leads replaced a while ago and this appeared to fix things, a big change in performance and smoothness. but it reared its head again 3000k's later

intersting about the fuel, perhaps it is a detonation problem.

it idles nice and smooth.

I'll try some injector cleaner, see what that does.

Brad let me know how you get on.

Cheers

Fletch

how do you add pictures by the way?[/color:post_uid0]

Dogo
02-12-2002, 05:55 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]to add picture :

upload the pic file to somewhere on the web. *Would be best if you had some free web space somewhere. *maybe geocities.com or brinkster.com *is good too. *Maybe your ISP gives you some small web space with your account ??

Then you click the 'Image' button just above the text area where you type your message in this forum. *Type in the internet address to that image file, and it'll insert the info into the text area for you.

Dave[/color:post_uid0]

fltcha
02-12-2002, 06:56 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Ah I thought so, thanks captain :)

adios[/color:post_uid0]

Bigted
20-12-2002, 01:46 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]fltcha,
In NZ use anything but 91 octane fuel. My V6 would pink like crazy on 91, changed to 96/98 and all was well.

I am having the same troubles as you regarding the lack of power (at times). I have also replaced my fuel filter (the small one) and all the sparkplugs.
My next stop was the leads as well (didn't realise the cost though!), then the rear O2 sensor.

I found a site which refers to the Ford Probe/626/MX6 at:
Probe/626/mx6 site (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dorothy.bradbury/probemx/index.htm)

These cars use a very similar engine to our V6.

The site talks about the Throttle Position Sensor getting wornout @ about 50-75k miles (what's that in Km's guys?)
It suggests looking for a code 12 in the engine management computer as an indicator. It also suggests ruling out the leads before going too far.

Quote:
Throttle movement wipes across a potentiometer track, wearing a groove according to your particular "driving pattern", eg, usually 2250, 2750 & 4250rpm. When driving behaviours moves outside this range there is a glitch, felt as an acceleration dip - yet pressing the pedal to the floor sharply a second time will achieve full acceleration.

End Quote

Have a look, it makes interesting reading.

Bigted[/color:post_uid0]

Markusamigos
26-05-2013, 07:18 AM
Hi all - my v6 94 has the same sort of issue lag on depress throttle-
missing on the way up under load - a few carb pops now and then when under full throttle - would feel like judering if the mounts a little tired

apparently is distributor module - ie replacement dissy the wreckers go through a ton of them apparently for these

the other thing the 'part' guys say is the thermostat & sensor goes - is rarely the solenoid pack

I have replaced o2 sensor, replaced leads, plugs, replace rocker cover gaskets, idles ok - will rev out but breaking down under load - on 98 fuel - not injectors not fuel

seems a common problem - usually the distributor replaced fixes if none of the above - apparently so will try that next - a few second hand ones around on about $300 AU/NZ - new ones expensive

anyone else got any idea's ?

good luck with it

mattylagana
26-05-2013, 05:10 PM
It sound similar to the issue I had with mine, ( when accelerating you get a shudder/ lag then takes off?) and I noticed with mine when I drove it hard I didn't notice the issues, it was my distributer cap, take yours off check for signs of corrosion or bad spark ( e.g white on the connections/ rotor wheel, Also my rotor wheel button on disty cap was Brocken an pushed in causing bad spark. Good luck