dfvadr
19-10-2005, 09:21 PM
does any-one no if the mx5 turbo runs the same ecu as the sp20

Critter
19-10-2005, 10:36 PM
I'd be very surprised......

Astro Boy
19-10-2005, 10:56 PM
I wouldn't be, virtually every GM car runs the exact same delco computer...

twilightprotege
20-10-2005, 07:34 AM
but it's spazda.

i'd say no, but see if you can get the code on the ecu

chicaboo
20-10-2005, 12:42 PM
I wouldn't be, virtually every GM car runs the exact same delco computer...As close as the 323 BJ 1.8 is to the 2.0, the ECUs are both different, not even made by the same company? The 1.6 and 1.8 have Mitsubishi ECUs, I don't recall who made the SP20 ecu...

twilightprotege
20-10-2005, 02:20 PM
denso

project.r.racing
20-10-2005, 05:02 PM
also they're 2 diffent engines aswell, different dissys and electricals...

NO! they are not the same.

dfvadr
20-10-2005, 09:00 PM
I understand the computing and possibly the body would be different, what i'm lead to believe is that the wiring harness plug would be the same to plug straight into the sp20 computer or vice versa

project.r.racing
20-10-2005, 09:42 PM
most of the wiring looms are the same, that is correct, if that is the way you are looking to go, Wolf 3D ecu's hard a direct plug-in for the mx5 so if the sp20 and mx5 have the same looms, then you could put a Wolf3D in without cutting any wires
good idea ;)

dfvadr
21-10-2005, 10:00 PM
well thats the track im going down but not with a wolf3d though

Astro Boy
23-10-2005, 10:52 PM
also they're 2 diffent engines aswell, different dissys and electricals...

What's ya point??? If your gonna try and tell me an Astra Turbo, a Commdore SS and a Holden Rodeo V6 don't have different engine you got issues....

platypus
24-10-2005, 07:05 AM
yes - but the delco unit won't recognise the mazda sensors - it requires a new set of sensors to match the delco

i'd be checking out some wiring diagrams - could prolly get a copy from the dealer if you ask them!!!

project.r.racing
24-10-2005, 07:54 AM
the poit was greg that you can't put a mx5 ecu in a sp20... just about everything is different

oh yeah, the astras don't use a delcos either, since its not a GM company, just a rebadged belgium ****box

ryan

crazy_bunny
24-10-2005, 07:49 PM
Sorry about hijacking the thread but a quick question for you.
The ecu in the 1.8L 2003 323 how much adaptablilty does it have??? For example im fitting quads and have a plenium therefor can still run the stock AFM and all the injectors have the correct resitance and the TPS can be swapped. So will the stock ecu learn to cope with the extra air or will it lean out?

Cosmo Dude
24-10-2005, 08:33 PM
At the end of the day you need to know 2 things;
1. Are the engines mechanically similar enough to each other?
2. How closely do the plugs (wiring in particular) correspond?
I havn't been bothered to compare either

platypus
24-10-2005, 11:44 PM
the poit was greg that you can't put a mx5 ecu in a sp20... just about everything is different

oh yeah, the astras don't use a delcos either, since its not a GM company, just a rebadged belgium ****box

ryan
(i'm going to regret this)

greg is right on this one - astras arn't belgium - ford manufacture in belguim not GM

astras are in fact GM cars - rebadged and re-engineered Opels over to Vauxhalls over to Holden - if you want to know more try checking out www.opelaus.com

rod - just for your own interest the 2.3l mazda 6 has the same sensors as what the 1.6 ZM engine does and the same coil packs - am i showing interest in the workings of the MPS6? hell yes! of course displacement is an issue here

other rod - has something come up or is it just a brain storm?? - if something has come up try it out first!!! it should work if there is enough similarity in the plug up stuff - but the next questions that need to looked at is how similar the tune of the engines will be - as that is what will determine the firing order and the timing of the firing

otherwise it may well be a bit easier to have an aftermarket programmed up on it - i know that may go against some of your other work but it might just be the best in terms of longetivity

twilightprotege
25-10-2005, 07:38 AM
Sorry about hijacking the thread but a quick question for you.
The ecu in the 1.8L 2003 323 how much adaptablilty does it have??? For example im fitting quads and have a plenium therefor can still run the stock AFM and all the injectors have the correct resitance and the TPS can be swapped. So will the stock ecu learn to cope with the extra air or will it lean out?

simple answer (well question really) - if you want to run quads, why the fark would you want to keep the stock ecu?

platypus
25-10-2005, 07:49 AM
if you ran quads what hope would you have with the stock afm?

Astro Boy
25-10-2005, 12:50 PM
(i'm going to regret this)

greg is right on this one - astras arn't belgium - ford manufacture in belguim not GM

astras are in fact GM cars - rebadged and re-engineered Opels over to Vauxhalls over to Holden - if you want to know more try checking out www.opelaus.com

;) But not for too much longer either... this new daewoo crap is coming over in container loads... I was lucky enough to be at the dealer launch of all the new models down at the Holden Performance driving centre... The viva, the something else, and the tigra...

The viva and the other daewoo thing is just CRAP!!! But, i beleive that tigra is still european sourced, and i was plesently surprised... for what it is, it isn't a bad car, and is actually very refined, both on the road, and on the track...

Astro Boy
25-10-2005, 12:54 PM
simple answer (well question really) - if you want to run quads, why the fark would you want to keep the stock ecu?

Cars with real quads don't have ecu's, hey nate! ;)

BTW.. dont take that comment seriously, as i'm currently getting a manifold made up for the charade to suit silver top 4AGE quads too :D

twilightprotege
25-10-2005, 01:18 PM
i'll be making up a manifold to fit 4 50mm TB's on my "new" car ;)

chicaboo
25-10-2005, 07:14 PM
What's ya point??? If your gonna try and tell me an Astra Turbo, a Commdore SS and a Holden Rodeo V6 don't have different engine you got issues....Those are GMs, Mazda have a habbit of changing stuff for absolutely no reason, the stupid little differences between the BJ 1.8 and the 2.0 mechanically and electrically is purely retarded. Even from country to country the same engine/electrics have slight changes that are drastic enough to make a huge difference in some cases. A few of us have struggled with this recently and don't need to be told otherwise based on what another car company does...
So when GM use Delco ECUs on their range of cars, is it only the tune that is changed, or are we talking sensors, harness, etc...? Because if it's more than just a tune, that's enough to through a spanner in the works almost completely. A few people have told me stories about the last model of Astra turbo, how it will not adapt to performance mods very well because of the way the electronics are integrated. I can't verify this, but it does go against what people do with Commodores, etc... So what is the same about them?

Gav.

Cosmo Dude
25-10-2005, 08:11 PM
The MemCal ECU is calibrated to which ever engine. The 2.0l Camira has several states of tune and inputs/outputs. This would be a good choice for a turbo F2 conversion in my 929. (up to 6-8psi)

dfvadr
25-10-2005, 08:48 PM
my idea of the emange is in the bin , think ill just piggy back a haltech an let the boys in the no install it an tune 4 me if there not to busy should be boosting the streets in 2weeks just in time to appear at supernats on the 13th

Astro Boy
25-10-2005, 09:54 PM
Gav, all i was saying was it was possible, as someone laughed at the idea of two cars sharing the same ecu, i wasn't saying they were the same..

Honda have a habbit of changing things pointlessly too... my old rally car, for any given '76 model, there were 3 different clutch sizes, and just random crap like that....

twilightprotege
25-10-2005, 11:17 PM
you've made the right choice rod!

mazdaguy01
30-10-2005, 05:04 PM
Lol trust me Ill be changing the ecu in due time but at present I have the quads and adaptor plate to fit up as well as the plenium so I can still run the AFM. I will change the ecu in due time but if I wait it could hold up the whole project for about 2 months

wiredone
03-11-2005, 11:28 PM
yep.... right choice... spend the extra $$ and get the extra gains...
plus who wants a MAF sensor when your going custom turbo... its just a restriction that could go faulty at some point...

good to see someone is finally taking the leap... its all down hill from here (ooops... i shouldn't have sed that)

dfvadr
08-11-2005, 08:38 PM
ecu was fitted today , if no dramas should have it back tommorrow arvo all dynoed up an ready to play

Nate
08-11-2005, 08:58 PM
will you be on the gong on saturday?

Cosmo Dude
09-11-2005, 07:58 PM
ecu was fitted today , if no dramas should have it back tommorrow arvo all dynoed up an ready to play
An order of new tyres for the front of Odd Rods SP20 :D

dfvadr
09-11-2005, 09:18 PM
no i have to much to do before the show on sunday , mite need sum tyres though lol not really

hyde
21-11-2005, 05:33 AM
Hi Guys.. :)

Here is some pictures, which shows how you get more power of you BG model
GT-R motor. This same version is ok. also BG GT-X motor..

Gems implant ecu + GM 3bar Map..

http://koti.mbnet.fi/gtr/Foorumeiden%20kuvat/gems%20ecubox%201.jpg
http://koti.mbnet.fi/gtr/Foorumeiden%20kuvat/gems%20ecubox%202.JPG
http://koti.mbnet.fi/gtr/Foorumeiden%20kuvat/showmotor%209.JPG

-hyde-

BigMal
21-11-2005, 12:22 PM
You should throw in a price so we can compare to the aftermarket ECU's
we have here.

hyde
22-11-2005, 01:19 AM
Hi

Gems retail price list.. :rolleyes:
-------
GT-R/GT-X Ecu implant 1020 £
GWv3 software 200£
or
GWv3+with PC logging software (inc DLOG99) 300£
------
price do not include VAT or carriage.

http://www.gems.co.uk/

Demo Software..GWv3 v3.16r8 Updated 14/11/05..
http://www.gems.co.uk/downloads/software.html

-hyde-

BigMal
22-11-2005, 02:11 PM
Works out a bit expensive for us then compared to local products, micotech and haltech etc.

Nate
22-11-2005, 03:24 PM
Works out a bit expensive for us then compared to local products, micotech and haltech etc.

got the ecu ... now just need to bloody turbo! :rolleyes:

hyde
22-11-2005, 08:08 PM
Hi..

You have to remember that GEM's is plug and play principle and designed for
rallycar.

You will have Mazda GT-R gr/a motor for 34 mm resistor about..
330 hv / 550nm (IHI RHF6)

-hyde-