PDA

View Full Version : Clutch problems... - My ignorance is not helping

mugwump
26-12-2002, 03:40 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]hi guys

help!!! *ever since i bought my v6 astina, i've always wondered why when starting from cold, shifting from first to second always comes with a mechanical "gluck" sound, along with that non-smoooth feeling. *once warm, shifting smoothly is nearly impossible. *the car will jerk, as if the clutch is biting with a lack of "progression".

also, the initial RACV report noted that my clutch pickup point was high... and it is... okay, since my previous drive was a sexy 78 TE Cortina (i had plans for a 300hp cosworth turbo swap!!), fixing pickup points was easy... just mess around with the cable.

but alas, the guy at the workshop told me the astina uses a hydraulic clutch... thus pickup points cannot be altered. *The problem is actually a worn out clutch that needs replacing.

okay, firstly am i talking any sense, or am i just wayyyyyyy out of my league? *secondly, if the clutch does need replacing, i know you can get kits from PBR or daikin etc. *anyone have any experience with new clutches, including heavy duty ones?

thanks[/color:post_uid0]

BigMal
02-01-2003, 10:09 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid1]I tend to disagree about the pick up point of the clutch
pedal as I have had mine changed on my 4cyl as I like it
low so that you have to have pedal almost full down but also
engages very quickly. I found that with my long legs that
I was having problems riding the clutch as it hadnt engaged
before I applied the gas because I needed to bend by leg
to engage. Makes it hard to judge with a bent leg.
Or did the guy mean that the clutch fork it already at full
adjustment and cant be moved in any further ??

Regards

Mal[/color:post_uid1]

BigMal
02-01-2003, 10:11 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid1]On the clutch side recomend the Daiken unit. Tony and I
both have the full face organic with a 700kg pressure plate
and it has held up for 2 years with no trouble at all. Very
light pedal feel same as std.

Regards

BigBoyLemonade
02-01-2003, 10:49 PM
[color=#006666:post_uid0]yeah that daiken (exedy) heavy duty clutch is great!!![/color:post_uid0]

mugwump
03-01-2003, 08:53 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]bigmal,

in regards to your bent leg comment... sorry mate i don't quite understand! but anyway, the daiken clutch - i got quoted $800 for a kit specific to the astina, not sure if its heavy duty or not though.

what do you think?

cheers[/color:post_uid0]

BigMal
03-01-2003, 08:57 PM
[color=#000000:post_uid1]Thats way too expensive. Don't go through a speed shop as
they are not doing anything but will add heaps to the price
saying **** that its to their specs. Go to a normal clutch place
and its the standard full face organic clutch but with an
uprated pressure plate with 700kg pressure. Its just a case
of changing the springs. I went over the top and had steel
backing plates put into the clutch plate but still only cost me
$300 trade. I think $350-$400 max. I cant get it as my
source is gone but Tony maybe able to tell you who he went
through. Only thing is V6 has diff clutch to 4cyl so it is
possible but unlikely the 6 is more expensive.

Regards

mugwump
05-01-2003, 04:25 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]Hmm... that $800 quote was for both parts and labour (including machining the flywheel, whatever that means). Which means that I'm probably getting killed for labour!! Thanks for the advise Mal... Correct me if I'm wrong, but the pressure plate rating will determine the pedal feel, right?

Tony, as per Mal's comments, any ideas where i can source the kit, and can anyone recommend a good installer?

thanks![/color:post_uid0]

BigBoyLemonade
05-01-2003, 08:11 PM
[color=#006666:post_uid0]Its a V6 Astina though and I think they almost have to pull the whole motor out.. dont quote me on that... but I have heard strange things like that...

there are two 10mm bolts underneath your clutch pedal that can adjust pickup points... just adjust those[/color:post_uid0]

mugwump
07-01-2003, 07:47 AM
[color=#000000:post_uid0]NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tony... for the sake of my bank balance, i hope you are speculating on that whole engine thing. but thanks anyway - i'll have a look at those bolts on the weekend.

cheers[/color:post_uid0]