PDA

View Full Version : Help with rear 6x9's in SP20

blacksp20
07-12-2005, 05:47 PM
Guys,

I have purchased some nice JL Audio 6x9's and have mounted them on the rear parcel tray of my SP20 hatch. Now, what is the best way to wire these suckers in?? Would I be better off routing brand new wire from the back of the HU all the way to the speakers, or just from where the wires go into the rear door??

I had a look at the rear right door and found plugs and crap everywhere, which makes me think the whole rewire may be the way to go, but it is going to be a monster hassle. Is it worth it??

Also, does anyone know what the rear speaker wire colours are?? (So I don't have to pull the door trims out again)

cheers

andrewgrazier
07-12-2005, 05:59 PM
get some new wiring for the speakers
you WILL NOTICE the difference between standard speaker wiring and like thicker better speaker wire,
not sure how the speakers are in the car but it should be pretty easy to just run new wiring from the HU under the carpet into the back
just make sure you dont cut the wires short because youll need a fair bit of it

Critter
07-12-2005, 09:18 PM
5 metres of cables either side should do it....yes new cable.
The cable will run easily under the kickpanels etc, the B pillar trim will slide up a bit and just slip the cable under when going between the two.
Can't remember though which colours are the rear speaker cables, my whole loom etc is rebuilt, some time ago.
Would be in the workshop manual for the car, dealer should be able to tell you.

woofy
07-12-2005, 10:50 PM
um why aren't you looking at the wires that are already runnign to the rear parcel shelf...I didn't know there were wires also running to the speakers in the rear doors in proteges...I've been wondering whether its worth putting some in there.

blacksp20
08-12-2005, 01:13 AM
I have a hatch, and as such, there are no speakers in the rear tray, but there are in the doors.

Thanks for the tips kids. I will run new wires to the speakers from the HU. I also noticed that the parcel tray is rather "rattly" so I am going to purchase some rubberised foam strip and stick it around the boot, where the tray sits, so that it stops movement and rattles.

If no-one knows the wire colours of hand, I guess the door trims will have to come out again to confirm.

cheers anyway

woofy
08-12-2005, 11:46 AM
oops sorry.I was getting you mixed up with Brad...as thats his name in OMC>...no I see why he couldn't use it here.

*blick.
08-12-2005, 12:43 PM
get some new wiring for the speakers
you WILL NOTICE the difference between standard speaker wiring and like thicker better speaker wire,

I was of this impression as well but all the car audio install guys that i spoke to said modern cars these days use speaker wire with adequate strand counts to handle power up to 80 watts RMS. I posted this question up on Car Audio Australia and got the same answer.

So it appears that the bigger thicker speaker wire giving better quality sound is kind of a myth that has been propagated for some time. Unless of course you have a really old car or you intend to run those speakers off an amp at a later date, the original speaker wire should be adequate for your purposes.

blacksp20
08-12-2005, 01:45 PM
Guys,

cheers for all your help. You will be happy to know that I have found a wiring diagram for the stock plug here:

http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8940

and there are now a nice set of these :

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_components.php?comp_id=128

pumping away in the rear parcel tray. I found some cheap adhesive backed foam at Clark Rubber for $3.50 per metre and now there are no rattles from the tray either. All up it took me less that 2 hours with the help of Strathfield Car Radio's at Brookvale to remove the head unit. Yes I had a go, but couldn't get the damn thing out, guess that's why they are called security tabs.

Next up, some of these: http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_components.php?comp_id=125

for the front and Bob will indeed be my uncle.

cheers again

chipa
09-12-2005, 12:44 PM
I was of this impression as well but all the car audio install guys that i spoke to said modern cars these days use speaker wire with adequate strand counts to handle power up to 80 watts RMS. I posted this question up on Car Audio Australia and got the same answer.

So it appears that the bigger thicker speaker wire giving better quality sound is kind of a myth that has been propagated for some time. Unless of course you have a really old car or you intend to run those speakers off an amp at a later date, the original speaker wire should be adequate for your purposes.

Well they are wrong about that when it comes to our Astina's. No way would I try to run decent power over the original wiring. Not to metion the fact that it is terminated in the dash, not really great for a amp install.