PDA

View Full Version : 25 March - Mini-Jam Drag Event

twilightprotege
30-01-2006, 11:20 PM
got details from ray box tonight.

entry is $80 and that includes 1 crew member.

ET cutoff is 14.99 seconds so i hope to see lotsa ppl out racing.

www.jamboree.com.au should be updated by the end of the week with info.

entries close march 11.

come on gav, race! (aka, get your car faster)

bourbon
30-01-2006, 11:22 PM
sounds fun...how much will it cost to spec?

twilightprotege
30-01-2006, 11:25 PM
that's not on the entry form, but i'll guess something like $25-30

Nate
30-01-2006, 11:53 PM
if i can run quick enough (unlikely) i will represent :)

Mad Mat
30-01-2006, 11:55 PM
i might come and have a look will see how the next couple of months plan out. but count me in.

bourbon
30-01-2006, 11:58 PM
theres alot goin on atm up here isnt there... :D

Ian
31-01-2006, 12:11 AM
Ill be there... I should be able to get under that..

chicaboo
31-01-2006, 08:13 AM
When my ex cam and UDP is in I can run consistant 15s for sure. Still need help to get that done before then...

mazdaguy01
31-01-2006, 08:34 AM
Nooooo im to slow lol. Need to get those quads working then I might be in with a chance

twilightprotege
31-01-2006, 08:38 AM
well there is almost 2 months to get quicker ;)

CRA23
31-01-2006, 11:52 AM
i will be the official photographer again

twilightprotege
31-01-2006, 12:22 PM
woot woot!

Nate
31-01-2006, 12:32 PM
Nooooo im to slow lol. Need to get those quads working then I might be in with a chance

you could always give them to me :D :p :cool:

bourbon
31-01-2006, 05:47 PM
or me nate :P haha...you no i need that power more than you

boostedbatman
31-01-2006, 06:09 PM
You need a twin cam conversion first?? ;) ;) :rolleyes: :D :eek:
then a stall convertor

bourbon
31-01-2006, 06:48 PM
if your talkin to me fund it :D haha and then we can do it all :D

boostedbatman
31-01-2006, 06:53 PM
I just said that as I DO know of one DOHC Auto BG
I will do you a deal you fund my engine as its planned and I will fund yours
I cant lose this one

bourbon
31-01-2006, 06:56 PM
BAHAHHa ummm can i put a jet engine in mine then :P if your gona fund it...but that means ill have to lose my doof doof...or they could go where the old engine goes :D

Nate
31-01-2006, 08:14 PM
putting a jet engine in will be cheaper than petes :p

bourbon
31-01-2006, 08:16 PM
ohhh umm twin jet engine the ones they use in hariots? then i can fly up as well :) how cool would that be ... ahahahahaha

AstinaBoiV6
31-01-2006, 09:42 PM
dam mine makes 16 flat.. :D guess i cant compete :)

twilightprotege
31-01-2006, 09:45 PM
well if jamboree is anything to go by you could. the cut off for jambo was 14.99, but there were a few 15 second cars there to make up the numbers, esp in the sport fwd class

boostedbatman
02-02-2006, 06:16 PM
dam mine makes 16 flat.. :D guess i cant compete :)
Have you ever run it or is that a guess
I say this as the best I ever ran with the KF-ZE(170hp@7000) was 15.8@139kph
That was with Ram feed shielded CAI and Heavy Duty clutch and Iridiums and not to mention Lantis LSD and thats with a 2.0 second 60' and the ability to launch at 4500rpm
And you have a 130hp@6000rpm engine and basically an unenhanced engine
I think you are a bit optimistic

twilightprotege
12-02-2006, 07:56 PM
www.jamboree.com.au is updated. but damn shame, cut off for racing is 14.99

spectators - $25, $20 for students.

program : (and about time the finals are at night!!!)

AM
6.30am - Competitor Gates Open
7.00 - 9.30am - Show-N-Shine Registration
7.00 - 2.00pm - Drag Racing Registration
8.30am - Spectator Gates Open
9.00 - 1.30pm - Qualifying - ET1, ET2, SF, SR
10.00am - 1.30pm - Northfield Sound Off
10.00 - 3.00pm - Show-N-Shine & Club Displays
10.30am - Mini-Jam Babe Comp

PM

1.00pm - Mini-Jam Bikini Comp - Main Stage
1.30pm - Track Prep
2.00 - 5.00pm - Qualifying - AM, FR, OM, SM, PRO/R, CE
2.00pm - PRO/R Qualifying Session 1
3.00pm - Show-N-Shine Presentation
3.15pm - PRO/R Qualifying Session 2
4.30pm - PRO/R Qualifying Session 3
5.00pm - End of Qualifying
6.00 - 8.00pm - Northfield Glow Off
5.30pm - Drag Racing Eliminations Begin
10.00pm - Drag Racing Presentation

Ian
13-02-2006, 12:37 AM
Hmm.

Well. Apparently a GTX converted astina *can* run that, but its a question of if I can do it or not.

Ive never run it down the strip before....

That being said, if someone wanted to aggree that if they broke it, theyd pay for it (quickly), id be happy to let someone elese try.

chicaboo
13-02-2006, 07:32 AM
It took Timmy a few goes to get under 15, so I don't see why you can't. Got some near bald tyres on small rims for the front?

boostedbatman
13-02-2006, 07:34 AM
Ian don't be afraid to give it a go afetrall you will have a few runs for qualifying souse a soft launc at first then when you are confident that the car is okay then up the take off a bit. The track is not any harder on your car than it it too race on the street.
Just remember that on the street you are more likely to punish the car for longer periods. 15secs or less is not going to overly stress your engine
You wont have heat associated issues as there isn't enough time
You just need to be aware that on take off there will be a lot more traction so if you launch in accordance with this knowledge you will be fine
Give it a go and do it for the Mazda badge
Just dont shift between gears too hard either
Remember that when a manufacture designs and makes a prototype engine its a lot more race orientated than what is ever offered in the version that is up for sale as they have to then de-tune the thing to make it 'driveable' for people of all skills and or lack thereof
Just let your car do what it was made to do
Good luck with your decision
Pete

project.r.racing
13-02-2006, 09:35 AM
yeah what pate said

project.r.racing
13-02-2006, 09:41 AM
a word of advice : 18" wheels + stock brakes does NOT look good

true statement maybe so...

Can we add to this also that:- poorly painted black coloured frosted white indicators does NOT look good also?

This will make me happy :)

Ryan

boostedbatman
13-02-2006, 09:49 AM
There there Ryan its okay
its okay
now breathe
in
out
in
and out
then in.

project.r.racing
13-02-2006, 09:57 AM
It's not working pete!

twilightprotege
13-02-2006, 10:40 AM
it's not frosted white. new words of widsom will show in the near future

stay on topic

boostedbatman
13-02-2006, 11:34 AM
yessir
I may be the parts car for those planning to run on the day so get your interest in
So who do we have to run??
C'mon Kurtles I havent seen you punish the SP20 yet

chicaboo
13-02-2006, 12:16 PM
www.jamboree.com.au is updated. but damn shame, cut off for racing is 14.99Andrew can you update the cutoff on the first page pleasem.

Pete: Kurt and I can't run a sub 15, I prolly can't even run a sub 16... :(

Gav.

twilightprotege
13-02-2006, 12:59 PM
updated

QuicKSilveR
10-03-2006, 02:58 PM
My Entry is in :)

Racing on poo street tyres.

Nate
10-03-2006, 04:21 PM
ill be there as always ... andy do you need a parts car again???

twilightprotege
11-03-2006, 08:55 PM
pete has kindly offered the use of the catmobile as parts car, but i still need a cheer squad

boostedbatman
12-03-2006, 04:20 AM
Nate'lles you may need to be the parts car as I wont get there till after 1pm as I have to work in the morning. So I can be cheer squad
You know what sucks Nate.. If we chased up 'that' car a while ago and I installed the parts I have in my garage already I would be able to compete even without the BA
BUGGER

Ian
12-03-2006, 11:54 AM
Ill give it a go. Theres the test and tune on this weekend where im going to work on my launchs. If I can get a sub 15 ill be happy.

any1 wana loan me some racing slicks?

chicaboo
12-03-2006, 01:23 PM
any1 wana loan me some racing slicks?You've not looked at the price of these have you? ;)

boostedbatman
12-03-2006, 05:51 PM
any1 wana loan me some racing slicks?
You dont need them
If you say you get traction on the street then you WILL get traction on hte track
You just need to learn how to release the clutch
BTW you should not only learn that but when you do you will be able to launch at a higher rpm
So practice away
Its just not as simple as 'dump n go'
the word is release but its also dependant on car feel and traction, so get your mind and feet working together and you will say something like HOLY CRAP I'm off like a Jews foreskin ;)

chicaboo
12-03-2006, 06:02 PM
Yeah I remember saying that exact same thing the one time I put together that elusive perfect launch. However in my excitement I forgot about the whole changing gear thing and bounced it... Easy come easy go...

Nate
12-03-2006, 08:50 PM
bouncing is fun ... ooo not that bouncing :p

ill be at minijam as the parts car slut, but im coming a little more prepared than last time ;) going to set up fort mazda in a big way ;)

Ian
12-03-2006, 10:05 PM
Humm

I dont just drop the clutch... its hard to explain. Its not that I loose traction in 1st, no thats fine, im fine with lettin the clutch out on first, its second that gets me, when I go for second I spin the wheels and the car jumps to 6.5 and I have to change there and then to third.

Its stoping that second wheel spin thats the chalange.

chicaboo
12-03-2006, 10:22 PM
So cosy the clutch in 2nd too...

Nate
12-03-2006, 10:35 PM
Humm

I dont just drop the clutch... its hard to explain. Its not that I loose traction in 1st, no thats fine, im fine with lettin the clutch out on first, its second that gets me, when I go for second I spin the wheels and the car jumps to 6.5 and I have to change there and then to third.

Its stoping that second wheel spin thats the chalange.

as soon as your regain traction your revs will drop ... changin into 3rd ****s you up ...you would be much better off easing off the gas and replying if you get spin in second

SILVABULLIT
13-03-2006, 06:23 PM
Drag slicks will hook up way better than street tyres as they're designed to do it. with all the rubber and traction compounds on the start line street tyres just don't get the grip down. Perfect example of this is how Twilight can launch hard off the line with very minimal amounts of wheelspin.

CRA23
13-03-2006, 07:13 PM
going to set up fort mazda in a big way ;)

i have a big mazda flag :P i will bring it :D

LordWorm
13-03-2006, 08:43 PM
Drag slicks will hook up way better than street tyres as they're designed to do it. with all the rubber and traction compounds on the start line street tyres just don't get the grip down. Perfect example of this is how Twilight can launch hard off the line with very minimal amounts of wheelspin.
You're just never gunna drop this are you?

despite what you think....tyres are not hte be all and end all... OMFG..drop some drag slicks on your pushbike and you'll run 9s!!!!!.

its not that easy...you need the power to lose traction at a good launch RPM to have any value. Generally for the power we're talking about, if you're getting unstuck, you're launching to high.

i spun my wheels, on street rubber, once at hte TNT...why? my launch rpm was miles to high and i didnt slide the clutch out..(that was sitting beside you SB, and i still beat you off the line! without drag radials!)

twilights already told you his best without the so-called drag radials (which are 100% street rubber mate, if you dont believe me head down to your local tyre place and buy a set...)....the extra sticky rubber is for consistancy... and to save the daily driven tyres from punishment. here we go read again, just incase you didnt get it the first time.... they are 100% street legal tyres..nothing special....they are not slick tyres, or drag tyres.....

even so do you think it would have made a difference? he still would have gone sub 15secs....you still would have been nowhere near him. Even with all the crap in the back of his car he would have done 15 flats...so for the last time drop it. get over it. cope. at the end of the day you STILL out did his power to weight by a HUGE amount....if anything the "race tyres" and "biggest loser weight loss program" only served to add parity to the race...not detract from it.

ian give this a go: while staging, release the clutch just enough that it bites but doesnt take up (so its like a hairs breadth away from engaging)... hold your revs around where you wanna launch then when you go (right when that last amber goes on), let the clutch out every so slightly and give it a bit...ride the clutch right out through first..and maybe try riding it all the way through 2nd as well... wont do your clutch any favours..but you'd be looking for a racing clutch setup in the not too distant future anyway wouldnt you?

Just dont be too keen to get second gear away....

chicaboo
13-03-2006, 08:49 PM
Drag slicks will hook up way better than street tyres as they're designed to do it. with all the rubber and traction compounds on the start line street tyres just don't get the grip down. Perfect example of this is how Twilight can launch hard off the line with very minimal amounts of wheelspin.Brendan, I think all of us are sick of reading about drag slicks and windshield wipers on AGT and TOCA. If you're gonna keep going on about this, people are just gonna think you're a bleeting whinging bitch. Have you heard your nickname around these parts?

Go buy a set of BFGs like Andy's and do some runs back to back with and without them. You might lose 0.2s off YOUR ET because your car has more power and will get more advantage out of them... If you want to tightarse it, get some Toyo Proxes RA1 just for dragging like I did, they are only $207ea RRP from your local Tyrepower upon request.

Finally, if you are an advocate of only running true street trim (and you can bet manufacturers don't when they test for publicity), don't compare your times to people who do otherwise. It's as simple as that!

Fat slow and proud,
Gav.

Nate
13-03-2006, 09:20 PM
if your a tight arse go get some race compound retreads ... ubber mega grip! ubber mega cheap! and tirepower are powerful at one thing, involves a shaft and a tugging motion! get your arses down to hornibrook motorsport, 4 basalt street geebung!!

tim - do it do it

SB - i saw you the other day on norris road

Ian
13-03-2006, 11:40 PM
Lordworm - I allready have a Exceedy 400 HD custom clutch. Im sure it will cope, and there not that expensive to replace anyway.

As to the launching, ill give it a go. Sounds like a good idea. Easy to redlight, but who cares about red light at TNT?

LordWorm
13-03-2006, 11:56 PM
Lordworm - I allready have a Exceedy 400 HD custom clutch. Im sure it will cope, and there not that expensive to replace anyway.

As to the launching, ill give it a go. Sounds like a good idea. Easy to redlight, but who cares about red light at TNT?
you wont red light mate
if you go right on the last amber, you will get like a 400 to 500ms launch

i made the mistake on my first couple of runs of launching when i saw green... got 800s, 900s, and embarissing 1.1secs..

when i worked out to go earlier, i got my launch down to 0.491, not bad for a first timer i dont think. (out launched andy in gavs car too..i was chuffed bout that!!!)

by the time your brain goes "oh its the last amber" and tells your right foot to hit the floor and left to come off the clutch, its gone green....

twilightprotege
14-03-2006, 02:46 PM
i dont lose traction because i know how to use the clutch. i didnt lose traction when i drove gav's or greg's car that night......

LordWorm
14-03-2006, 05:16 PM
i dont lose traction because i know how to use the clutch. i didnt lose traction when i drove gav's or greg's car that night......
that was the point i was trying to get accross :P

GTXWGN
15-03-2006, 04:45 PM
im going to test n tune tonight to try my launchs

yeah dont let a red light imtimidate you , just wait for the green then go when youre ready......when youre practising launches the Reaction time doesnt do **** and it can itimidate you waiting for the lights...for get they are there and jsut take off as u want