PDA

View Full Version : EOI [Group Buy]- Straight Cut 3rd gear pair - DIRECT FIT

ROB-80E
28-03-2006, 09:52 PM
Serious people only. I'm wanting to get a pair for my replacement box so I'm putting this up to see if anyone else is interested. G SERIES BOXES ONLY.

Price i was given for the pair was $850 + delivery. Now if i can get a few people interested I will organise a group buy and try and get it cheaper. Chances are good as the R&D has already been done.

For those interested the ratio of the gear is 1.24:1

Time frame, TBA, but i'm wanting mine installed within 4 months. Contruction time also TBA.

This does not incluse install...SUPPLY ONLY.

Oh, the other thing i'll mention is that, I suss out payment situation. At worst, i'll organise a 50% deposit, remaining 50% on delivery...hopefully this eases the pain of finance.

Rupewrecht
28-03-2006, 10:31 PM
tempting.

same ratio as your KJ box?

Nate
28-03-2006, 10:49 PM
if you can get the price down majorly i will be in. i can see the advantages but until i have am making power not going to be really worth it, probably 12 months time i will be needing one ... still interested tho ... will keep an eye on the thread

ROB-80E
29-03-2006, 03:51 PM
Price won't come down majorly, you want the best, you pay for it...quite simple really. The more people who confirm they will want, the more the price will come down (i hope), but you have to be willing to pay $850.

Rupe - not sure mate, i think it's pretty close to it. If anything it's slightly longer. ;)

boostedbatman
29-03-2006, 04:10 PM
I would be in but I am bartering soon with a US company for a full set for $4000USD
Seeing what I can do there first

ROB-80E
29-03-2006, 04:38 PM
You can get a full set here for cheaper than that. The setup includes 1st, 2nd, 3rd syncromesh, custom primary and secondary shafts and custom diff ring gear. That was $4600AUD installed.

Nate
29-03-2006, 05:15 PM
Price won't come down majorly, you want the best, you pay for it...quite simple really. The more people who confirm they will want, the more the price will come down (i hope), but you have to be willing to pay $850.

Rupe - not sure mate, i think it's pretty close to it. If anything it's slightly longer. ;)

I understand that, hence my interest in the thread, but $850 buys a lot of mods that will add the cars power. until i have these mods and power the straight cut gear is pretty usless. so if the price comes down due to the group buy then i will buy, if not then i will buy when i need it, thats all i was trying to say

MeFo
29-03-2006, 05:30 PM
Sorry to sound stupid, but what's the advantages? How does it differ from the normal gear? What's special about a straigt cut? Just after some education.. :rolleyes:

Nate
29-03-2006, 05:41 PM
normally the gears in your gear box are cut on a helix (helical gears) but to make things easier just imagine they are cut on an angle, the stright cut gear has the teeth cut straight on the cut face, giving much more strength and less power loss. noise is the trade off, helical gears are quiet where straight cut gears are noisy, you may have seen wrx's getting around with straight cut gears, or your reverse gear is another example of a straight cut gear.

MeFo
29-03-2006, 08:07 PM
What sort of power gain would you see from a straight cut?

Nate
29-03-2006, 08:37 PM
minimal ... its all about strength. large amounts of torque put thru the g series box tend ot break 3rd ... dont they rob? :p

Astro Boy
29-03-2006, 10:23 PM
The biggest advantage with a straight cut is that the entire face of both gears mate, whereas with a normal helical gear, they only make contact on a point...

Like nate said, reverse is a straight cut, so that's exactly what they sound like, that distinctive whine... now add in dog engagement and you've got yourself one whining clunking MF!

boostedbatman
30-03-2006, 03:35 AM
add in dog engagement and you've got yourself one whining clunking MF!
Now thats what I'm talking about
And when I say full set I mean all of it(thats just the way it comes :D )
Those who know whats actually happening to my car and what its going to be used for will understand why Im considering this

Nate
30-03-2006, 12:14 PM
no i have no idea what so ever :p

Ian
30-03-2006, 01:33 PM
:rolleyes:

Exodus323
30-03-2006, 03:09 PM
depending on the final price i may be in the sound when driving in 3rd would sound good anyway with a turbo spooling up make it sound like a machine

Astro Boy
30-03-2006, 10:17 PM
I've never actually known someone to want a straight cut based on the sound! :p

Nate
31-03-2006, 10:12 AM
I've never actually known someone to want a straight cut based on the sound! :p

true, but then again i have never known anyone to pull a handbrakey coming up to a hairpin that will offload you into the ocean if you **** it up, thats just the kind of guy paul is :p

Astro Boy
31-03-2006, 12:21 PM
Fair Call! :D

ROB-80E
31-03-2006, 11:54 PM
depending on the final price i may be in the sound when driving in 3rd would sound good anyway with a turbo spooling up make it sound like a machine

You won't get a final price unless you are willing to commit to the $850. How am i supposed to get a final price when all i get is a heap of maybes.

Basically, you're in or i dont really need to know...I'll be making two phone calls, 1 to one company and one to another. Those calls will include how many sets i need and what price can you do it for and when are they going to be delivered.

Realistically, there probably won't be or much of a price drop...its not like these things are cast where half the cost goes into making a mould.

Sorry to be a bit blunt, but as i said, i can't do anything with maybe's...i've stressed this on fordlaser.com also. Basically i'm getting a pair, REGARDLESS...I'm extending this offer to try and help some others doing the work of organising gears themselves, and obviously, try to save us all some money. But if i have to pay $850, i have to pay $850.

BTW, i have 4 confirmed sets. I'm hoping to get 6 or more, because then the amount starts to become worth the companies while, and i can hopefully wheel and deal.

ROB-80E
28-04-2006, 01:32 PM
Just got off the phone with PAR.

For a confirmed order of 5 pairs, price would be $760 each. This is a saving obviously of $90 off the original price. I was told to allow $30 additional on top of that price for freight to me here in newcastle. I'd be confordent in saying that an additional $15 each for postage costs would cover post to me and then from me to you (registered).

As I suggested in the first post, a 50% deposit is required before they will begin to manufacture.

Final thing, turnover IF ORDERED IN THE NEXT 2WEEKS would be approx 3 weeks for all 5 pairs. If ordered after 2 weeks from now, we'd be looking at a turnover of 4-6 weeks.

I ask again to please confirm your intensions and what time frame you require.

If more people are interested, obviouly PAR are willing to drop the price, so put your name down now!

ROB-80E
02-05-2006, 05:47 PM
New info to light.

http://www.fordlaser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=505244#505244

Rupewrecht
02-05-2006, 07:08 PM
Damn you!

I'll be in for the Precision set. I'll reply on FL tho, keep it easier.

BigMal
02-05-2006, 08:22 PM
Damn if only I had a spare $500... I know I need it !!!

ROB-80E
03-05-2006, 07:26 PM
just waiting for a few final answers and then finalisation and ordering will comence. :)

Nate
04-05-2006, 11:15 AM
i too would be in but the rally car got tree boned and money will be squat for hte time being