PDA

View Full Version : Rear Swaybar fitted ~ difference?

KittyKatSmack
11-05-2003, 11:08 AM
Yes, my rear bar stays harder for longer now :wink:

This is a very quick note on the difference in two quick drives of the Astina now that the rear swaybar has been fitted.

There is a notable difference in the way the car handles and I am VERY HAPPY with the result.

The Astina pre Swaybar used to dig in her nose and cock her leg when going around corners at speed, especially on a tight turn... lots of understeer!

Now, she is tight, real tight.

I have very crappy tyres on the car and took it easy initially when taking off with the new bar on the back, but when we hit a bit of road that is pretty unused at the back of old parliamant house with a couple of nice tight little corners, I gave it a bit of pedal to see how much back end swing I would have.

Well the grin on my face was huge when she seemed to hug in nice and tight and it was only on the last part of the corner that I eased off slightly because of one tyre chirp and slip.

So the small outlay of $150 for the rear swaybar is definately worth it, and I admit I was surprised at how much difference I could feel straight away......

Now, to wait for the next rainy day and the big roundabout at the back of Russell Offices.....

bwahahahahahahahahahahaha

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

BigMal
11-05-2003, 05:55 PM
And it only gets better from there babe.
Lower it a bit and it will hug the road. I also
have the nolothane lower strut bushes and strut
bar and camber pins & the car is so solid round corners.
Was in a stock suspension car last night and the
diff in cornering ability is huge.

Glad you are happy

Mal

JynX
11-05-2003, 06:10 PM
Just say it... you know u want too...

OK IT WAS MY CAR

guess im going shopping at whiteline soon then...

KittyKatSmack
11-05-2003, 06:27 PM
You will feel the difference straight away Jynx...

And I will certainly be looking at the front now BigMal.

Lowering, maybe 3.5?
But then we start on the whole suspension thing, and next we will be back on wheels and $$$$$ chaching!

Kitty is too broke atm. It is the small things that are keeping me happy for now. Lets keep the big dollars jobs away from Kitty's avid eyes and grasp please? I can't get my paws on any big biccies until at least October/November ish.....

So, next is some cosmetics. But maybe the front camber pins??
Hmmmmmmmmm
So much to do, so little time, absolutely no cash.....

:cry:

.::Astina|Brad::.
11-05-2003, 06:35 PM
Do whiteline only sell the products.. not actually install them???

In the canberra CAI day pics.. i noticed what looked like someone installing a swaybar was this an easy task?

dropping it 3.5 inches!!! that sounds like alot!

Brad

BigBoyLemonade
11-05-2003, 06:47 PM
Dont lower your BA astina more than 3"

Im telling you now! you lose handling and a nice ride... I have spent more than $1000 on springs! no lower than 3"....

KittyKatSmack
11-05-2003, 06:49 PM
Centimetres silly!!!

**** do you think I want to drag my tail on the ground?????

Installation was done by Lantis and Aaron, so speak to those fella's.

Although it didn't look difficult as a job, it was certainly a pain in the butt to undo a few things.....

I appreciate the help I got from everyone on the day, from Aaron, Lantis, Cosmo and ABC.

Thanks fella's MWAH!

:D

Cosmo Dude
11-05-2003, 07:13 PM
**** do you think I want to drag my tail on the ground?????

If it itches then scratch it!! :lol:

Time to buckle down and lower the BA

Cosmo Dude
11-05-2003, 07:35 PM
I ment my BA Hardtop. :D
My CV joints have taken enough punishment. Too much first gear with full throttle and full lock at Motorkhanas has taken its toll :( I can't get out of the supermarket carpark without people complaining about the clunking noise :P
If it must go onto the hoist for a service and CV job then some suspension work will be parts plus minor $$$$ in labour, I hope :wink:

KittyKatSmack
11-05-2003, 08:03 PM
Good luck Rob!

Let us know how you get on too!

Will be interested in what pricing you get yours done for...

*Kitty's still trying to do it on the cheap*

Hmmm, Lantis ~ how many springs do you have floating around?

LOL

pr1mo
11-05-2003, 08:33 PM
kitty
did you just order your thru the online section of the whiteline page?

cheers mike

KittyKatSmack
11-05-2003, 08:47 PM
Pr1mo, I looked online at my local retailer, rang them and gave them the part number, and picked it up through them.

Website said it was going to cost me $145 plus GST
went to pick it up and it was $160 but I haggled and got it for $150

I prefer to do business face to face generally, and that is why!

:D

JynX
11-05-2003, 09:45 PM
$163.79 from autospeed, postage anywhere in OZ. Spend another $40 an you get free delivery :) (Delivery is $7)

Aaron
12-05-2003, 10:09 AM
Whiteline parts can typically be ordered through any Repco type store as well...

Actually the Bars harder longer thing is from when the swaybars were marketed under the Selby (owned by Whiteline) brand. There was some deal about the fact that they (Selby) used better steel and production methods than some of their competitors, hence the competitors bars went 'soft' and didn't function as new for all that long.

If you go tot he Whiteline site you can probably find a great primer on how and why swaybars work...

I'm hoping that Kitty will try a nice alignment as the next handling step (perhaps with some camber pins to get say 1-1.5 degree negative camber on the front) to get the car to turn in a little better.... I think it would be a great simple and fairly cost effective paring with the swayar ;)

BigMal
12-05-2003, 01:06 PM
Dont cheap out on the alignment and forget the rear. The guy
from whiteline took me for a drive with and without rear alignment
and I was amazed how much difference to turning you got by
having the rear aligned.

Regards

Mal

pr1mo
27-05-2003, 11:37 AM
my sawybar went in on the weekend and i too am very happy with the results! to top it all off my bodykit and a few other fiddley bits are finished off and everything went down without a hitch! :)

cheers mike

BigMal
27-05-2003, 03:09 PM
Good to hear all went well mate.

Mal