PDA

View Full Version : Eoi:[qld] New Cai Carbon System

AstinaBoiV6
18-04-2006, 07:15 PM
hey any1 interested in geting this... my m8 wants 1 and im going to look into geting them and how much they are.. i get direct from autotecnica through work.. just add your name to a list if u r interested and il pm back the prices once i find out.

http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/4311/turb20injectio20fanb5ht.jpg

pr1mo
18-04-2006, 07:19 PM
im suprised such a shonky brand liek autotechnica would be able to put their name to such high quality, thoroughly researched products such as the above

AstinaBoiV6
18-04-2006, 07:30 PM
they actually make some pretty good stuff. theyre carbon seats are very comfy and nice.. umm any autotecnica product is available for me :D

Rupewrecht
18-04-2006, 07:35 PM
How much for just the carbon box and how big is it (length/width)? What type of filter is in it?

AstinaBoiV6
18-04-2006, 07:45 PM
yer il get all the detailes real soon for all that are interested. im on holls atm but will work soon.. for that u may even be able to email autotecnica dan (or the dimensions) or i will.. il email them anyway now :p to ask for specs

i wont suppose il get email back till atleast 2moro arvo

Rupewrecht
18-04-2006, 07:47 PM
cheers, much appreciated!

bourbon
18-04-2006, 08:04 PM
this wouldnt make a difference on a car that has a AIR FLOW METER (gate type)...would it...cause it still lets through the same amount of air...maybe when i get rid of the airflowmeter...and have twin air intake ill look into it...

AstinaBoiV6
18-04-2006, 08:08 PM
i think it holds pressure better as the fan would force more air in holding the pressure... i emailed them just b4 so i should get some specs 2moro if any1 checks the email. lol

prodigy
18-04-2006, 08:20 PM
Hey Boi

can u include me on the list as interested? cheers would like to know what info u find out and maybe get for my hardtop. will it help my v6 though?

AstinaBoiV6
18-04-2006, 08:23 PM
sure umm il start a list of ppl to pm once i get info.. i dont see why it wont.. i have a v6 and my cai helps. and this has a carbon heatshield keeping the weight down and air cold.

PPL to PM with info.

Rupewrecht
Prodigy
Bourbon

Ian
18-04-2006, 10:16 PM
im with burbon on this one... I dont think its going to help cars with a AFM, also putting a fan at the start of the intake system, isent that basically forced induction?

bourbon
18-04-2006, 10:23 PM
yes but not to the same extent as a turbo or a supercharger...i may look at fans in the future...

twilightprotege
18-04-2006, 10:40 PM
man gotta get me one of those turbonator style things on the end of my air filter.....

just after i order my ebay power chip, ur, resistor.

PhatAstina
18-04-2006, 10:53 PM
hey
can u count me in on the interested list
cheers

PhatAstina
18-04-2006, 10:57 PM
this may sound stupid, but anyway
does this replace the existing setup for the airfilter( meanin that the pipe comes straight of the engine), or does it act like a CAI?
also, probably another stupid question, where would the fan sit and that??

W.A.I.
18-04-2006, 11:32 PM
i am interested.. and would also like to see the object itself too...

kfze
19-04-2006, 01:49 AM
AstinaboiV6,
I am also interested. Pls include me in your PM list.

Cheers !

boostedbatman
19-04-2006, 07:08 AM
It would work better without that stupid fan
Think about it
Its not electronically controlled so when you put your foot down you will lose some of the effect of the CAI as it 'tries' to spin the blades (just like turbo lag)
Sure at high rpm the setup will work great but if its set up with the correct ram feed then its pointless as the air will be going in quickly any way as you drive
Its not any form of boosted air unless its electronic as the fans will NEVER propel the air faster than its already being sucked in

And trust me on this
In a v6 with no low wnd torque and such a large IM to get the air to the combustion chambers this will not benefit you at all
Stick with a simple Ram fed CAI setup and you will make full benefit from your mod with wonderful throttle response and lots of air at the top end
Dont be sold out by crappy gimmicks
Done

twilightprotege
19-04-2006, 10:49 AM
i bet the "fan" is fixed.

and that tubing would totally suck. with NA and intake air you want the air flow to be as smooth as possible. that high quality "flexible hose" would do more harm than good. hell you'd probably get more power out of the stock setup than that hos

AstinaBoiV6
19-04-2006, 11:12 AM
The intake/outlet pipe is 80mm / 3".The fan starts spinning as soon as you start your motor. The air filter is specific and can only be obtained from us when you need to replace it. The filter box is plastic and coated in carbon fibre look film The product will be available from the 1st May and it will retail for $149.00 Regards Anthony

so thats the specs.. i feel riped not even proper carbon.. yuck.. well thats out unless any1 still wants it.. i can sell them for about $112

boostedbatman
19-04-2006, 11:16 AM
i bet the "fan" is fixed.

and that tubing would totally suck. with NA and intake air you want the air flow to be as smooth as possible. that high quality "flexible hose" would do more harm than good. hell you'd probably get more power out of the stock setup than that hos
Like the stick said
Currugated tubing doesn't allow for 'free' airflow
Thats why proper Flexible CAI tubing is so expensive, its layered so the outside is corrugated and the inside is smooth
Shop wisely when it comes to gimmicks

MAztinA 323
19-04-2006, 11:36 AM
[QUOTE=boostedbatman -paraphrased-]
...Sure at high rpm the setup will work great but if its set up with the correct ram feed then its pointless as the air will be going in quickly any way as you drive...

...Its not any form of boosted air unless its electronic as the fans will NEVER propel the air faster than its already being sucked in...

...Stick with a simple Ram fed CAI setup and you will make full benefit from your mod with wonderful throttle response and lots of air at the top end...

Dont be sold out by crappy gimmicks
[QUOTE]

ye, if the fan was electronically powered or whatever, i suppose it would work ok at LOW speeds (ramming more air in), but when ur going FAST theres no way an electronically powered fan could keep the air flow up compared to driving at 80kmh. :rolleyes:

i reckon a nice simple piece of tubing would work just fine, if not better, and i heartly agree with not wasting money on gimmicks that have more chance of going wrong (even though i buy neons hehe :D )

Rupewrecht
19-04-2006, 11:44 AM
so thats the specs.. i feel riped not even proper carbon.. yuck.. well thats out unless any1 still wants it.. i can sell them for about $112

haha nah, if it's only plastic i'm out.

AstinaBoiV6
19-04-2006, 12:31 PM
Like the stick said
Currugated tubing doesn't allow for 'free' airflow
Thats why proper Flexible CAI tubing is so expensive, its layered so the outside is corrugated and the inside is smooth
Shop wisely when it comes to gimmicks

hehe i did... i actually got the one thats corrugated on outside and smooth inside.. cost me $28

yer rupe i agree. if it was carbon atleast it looks cool but plastic is a no go..

PhatAstina
19-04-2006, 05:18 PM
count me out

boostedbatman
20-04-2006, 08:11 AM
hehe i did... i actually got the one thats corrugated on outside and smooth inside.. cost me $28

yer rupe i agree. if it was carbon atleast it looks cool but plastic is a no go..
I trust thats not the one on your CAI thread for thats still corrugated on the inside
It wont kill you though,
For the record my last Ram tube set me back over $120 and it was made of layered rubber and fibre sheets with metal rings to cause the corrugation on the outside and connected to an exhaust tip mounted in the front bar then directly attached to my Pod with built on heat shield

MAztinA 323
20-04-2006, 09:33 AM
hey where do u get that corrugated tube on outside but not inside? im getting a k&n 57i very soon and the tube looked corrugated, do u think it'll be corrugated inside as well?

boostedbatman
20-04-2006, 09:57 AM
My guess (not knowing the kit) would be that from K&N it would be correct and smooth on the inside
The one I had isn't sold anymore
But from the pic it seems to be corrugated beneath the layers but again this is a stab in the dark
But it doesn't have the true RAM effect as the pod isn't covered.
Will still work nicely thoughhttp://www.kandn.com/images/l/57i-6517.jpg

MA2DA
03-10-2006, 03:14 PM
Looks good count me in