PDA

View Full Version : (fuel?) Modulator - no spark

sirex
23-05-2003, 01:06 PM
A mate with a 93 Telstar GLEI (2.5L V6), yes I know its not a Mazda, but it is a Ford and it does have the same engine as the MX6 (I think?).

Anyway, he took it to the mechanic today to get a service, everything was working fine, at about midday they ring up and tell him that it won't start anymore, it won't even spark. So they got up an auto sparkie and it now turns out some kind of modulator has crapped it and needs to be replaced, atleast $400NZ. Now, does anybody know what the problem is and if this could just blow while at the mechanics or do you think they ****ed it?

Cheers

Toyboy
23-05-2003, 04:56 PM
That sounds like the electronic ignition module they are talking about :shock: And they arnt cheap :evil:
When they usually start dying the car will start to stall every now and again and eventually the car will stop and not start when its really F$*KED :(
It could of been a faulty 1 dude,ask your mate whether it stalled on him and took a while to start a couple of times recently :wink:

Catch ya :)

sirex
23-05-2003, 08:21 PM
Hmmm, well he just bought the car on Monday night so I doubt he would have experienced anything yet, it was just going in to get serviced and the bastards broke it. Well it is an automatic so it is not supposed to stall, but I remember it stalled on Tuesday when we were taking it for a spin, so I guess you could be onto something.

On another note, today it was really pissing down and the mechanics said that moisture gets in and kills it. so they took it for a for a test drive in the rain, come back and it craps out (they probably drove the bastard through a big puddle or something).

sirex
23-05-2003, 08:22 PM
Also is this electronic engine module thingy ma-bob a common fault?

Toyboy
23-05-2003, 11:27 PM
Yeah my old 323 done 1,and my mates laser the same,and apparently the v6motors(mazda/ford) are prone to having probs with em 2 :wink:
The part is located in the dizzy,pretty much under the rotor button jigga :P
They have a cooling jel on them and when the gel eventually drys up or gets old the module cooks and ****s itself :shock: If its what im talking about i cant see how driving through water would affect it,unless the dizzy cap/seal is cracked :P

Catch ya :D

sirex
29-05-2003, 05:57 AM
He just got the car back the oher day and it ended up costing him $604NZ, thats a hell of a lot of money when to your knowledge there was nothing wrong. Toyboy you were spot on, the part is located in the dizzy, they justed ended up reconditioning the whole thing!

Toyboy
29-05-2003, 02:04 PM
Yeah i thought it was that :wink:

Cheers :D