PDA

View Full Version : Turbo for Mazda BJ and BJII

sherron
23-06-2006, 07:06 AM
I'm looking at getting a Turbo fitted to a standard BJ 1.8 Engine.
I know a few guys here have alreadly done this, what's it involve? does the exhaust neeed to be changed from the front dump pipe etc.
I'm not going overboard just somthing like a factory install job with low boost.

I have sourced a full kit from a wrecker in VIC, it's a SP20 with intercooller but engine is 2.0L will this matter?

I've seen the MP3 model in USA, some came with standard Turbo, if one could be also sourced you think they can fit.
cheers

chicaboo
23-06-2006, 07:50 AM
I am on crack, Twilightprotegé will tell you what you need.

twilightprotege
23-06-2006, 09:00 AM
gav's obviously smoknig crack again...

usdm is 9.1:1

2.5"+ exhaust for turbo, 2.75" or 3" preferable. 2.25" is way too small.

almost the same power gain per psi from turbo or SC

a wrecked turbo sp20 in melbourne? interesting....

in america, the mazdaspeed protege was turbo. the mp3 was NA

2brag
23-06-2006, 10:02 AM
Twilight....if we were to get a turbo kit for a MSP, would that bolt straight up or would it cause dilemmas due to compression etc?

twilightprotege
23-06-2006, 10:33 AM
you can do it and it'll bolt straight up, but i wouldnt. comp is too high and the rods are too weak

chipa
23-06-2006, 11:16 AM
Wouldn't you have plumbing issues as well? There must be a good reason the Hiboost kit had some things changed for Australia....

LordWorm
23-06-2006, 11:26 AM
Wouldn't you have plumbing issues as well? There must be a good reason the Hiboost kit had some things changed for Australia....
could it be the left hand/right hand drive issue?

twilightprotege
23-06-2006, 11:36 AM
main issue is the highboost kit takes up more room than the nasty factory style stuff

LordWorm
23-06-2006, 12:32 PM
Can everyone agree, that boosting a 2L BJ without about $15k to spend on hardening things is a BAAAAD idea? :)

2brag
23-06-2006, 02:31 PM
Didn't SP2NV go through like 3 engines or something?

LordWorm
23-06-2006, 02:57 PM
Didn't SP2NV go through like 3 engines or something?
Dunno about that person specifically.

However I believe gearboxes are the big issue.

You could probably strengthen the engine with forged rods, forged LC pistons and so forth for a few grand...even get most of the drivetrain upto spec.

The problem is the gearbox.

you could straight cut and chryo the gears in an effort to get some more strength (snert's turbo SP23 is undergoing a proceedure along these lines I believe)...theres a few things you can do for reinforcement etc.

But - my only reason to goto turbo would be to make insane power - My NA plans should get me north of 200hp at the wheels post-rebuild (slated to commence in 12 to 18 months - earlier if i come by a block for cheap)...I'd wanna go much bigger than that if I turbo'd and to handle insane power and torque, you'd probably need something along the lines of a quaife gearbox (such as their 6 speed sequential dog box)....and thats a really good way to blow $10k =)...

wiredone
25-07-2006, 09:42 PM
i went through 2 engines... one stock from a non-turbo related failure (intake screw came loose off the stock intake runner butterfly's) and the second built motor from the same thing (i got an aftermarket manifold after this lol)

gearboxs are an issue anything over about 120kw atw
i had 2 cryod and shotpeeded boxs that gaveway on me but at that point i was at around 245kw atw... the new owner hasn't done a box since and he drives it alot harder than i did (i learnt how expensive gearboxes were go figure)

i can safely say at 8psi with the right toque curve from a properly sized turbo (i ran the vf22 to start with) its all fine...
i pounded the crap out of my car at 8psi everyday for over a year without a hint of un happiness and im talking rev limiter in 5th gear on 8psi stupid stuff... ( i changed oil very frequently and took good care of it though)

It all comes down to the tune. Alot of tuners are so worried our not going to be happy with the power figure they dont leave enough head room in both injector duty cycle and AFR so one day when your low on gas and its cold your ****ed... luckily i never had this issue.

--- Haven't been on for a long time so i don't check my pm's much but if you want any free advice my email is doug [at] boostonline.com.au as if anyone starts a build or turboing it i can save you alot of time with things that you don't see coming that are different with our 2.0ltr... these are things me and TDK (along with our wallets) learnt the long and hard way first hand...
- catch ya later =)

LordWorm
25-07-2006, 10:48 PM
i went through 2 engines... one stock from a non-turbo related failure (intake screw came loose off the stock intake runner butterfly's) and the second built motor from the same thing (i got an aftermarket manifold after this lol)

gearboxs are an issue anything over about 120kw atw
i had 2 cryod and shotpeeded boxs that gaveway on me but at that point i was at around 245kw atw... the new owner hasn't done a box since and he drives it alot harder than i did (i learnt how expensive gearboxes were go figure)

i can safely say at 8psi with the right toque curve from a properly sized turbo (i ran the vf22 to start with) its all fine...
i pounded the crap out of my car at 8psi everyday for over a year without a hint of un happiness and im talking rev limiter in 5th gear on 8psi stupid stuff... ( i changed oil very frequently and took good care of it though)

It all comes down to the tune. Alot of tuners are so worried our not going to be happy with the power figure they dont leave enough head room in both injector duty cycle and AFR so one day when your low on gas and its cold your ****ed... luckily i never had this issue.

--- Haven't been on for a long time so i don't check my pm's much but if you want any free advice my email is doug [at] boostonline.com.au as if anyone starts a build or turboing it i can save you alot of time with things that you don't see coming that are different with our 2.0ltr... these are things me and TDK (along with our wallets) learnt the long and hard way first hand...
- catch ya later =)
awesome stuff.

Its worth noting, purely from a rod ratio point of view, that our engine takes to turbo quite well... go have a look at the msprotege guys....some of them are making VERY impressive power....

But be prepared to spend money. And lots of it. :)

woofy
26-07-2006, 10:26 PM
In this new post MPS climate...just get a MPS 3 and play with it, if anything breaks mazda pays. If only they had been 4wd like the MPS though......:(

chicaboo
27-07-2006, 06:56 AM
If only they didn't stuff around with electronic boost reduction because they made it too powerful for a small FWD...

phildough
27-08-2006, 11:46 PM
Well I cant really complain about the boost restriction or anything, I got to drive one for a few hot laps around Willowbank along with a RX8 and a 6 MPS 4WD Turbo and the new MX5, B4 Dick Johnson took me for a few Screaming laps in the new MPS 3 ....It absoultly flew, Any power restriction was smooth and flawless, and there is a off switch..My mate thought it was quicker than his Evo3, But he hasn't taken it round the track yet..
Speaking of the MPS 3, did you know they have to crush the one that was used in the wheels test??