PDA

View Full Version : Easy Mods?

Pernod
08-06-2003, 11:54 AM
Hi all,

I am the proud new owner to a little 1.8 Lantis and am just looking for any quick wins to spice it up a bit.

I'm on a bit of a budget at the mo,having just put a Lantis on my loan and all ;-) but thought there might be some quick and easy mods that can be done?

For eg, it has been suggested that there is a K&N filter that will fit straight into the existing airfilter casing? Is this true? What else would need to be done to this (cold air feed etc?).

All ideas welcome.

Also, as an aside, after having the car for a few months now, I got in the other day and my rhs headlight is pointing almost straight at the ground (lights up the road about 2 metes in front of the car). I've tried almost everything to fix it with no luck, anyone have any ideas on where I might be going wrong with this?

Cheers all

Shane

JynX
08-06-2003, 04:32 PM
There is a K+N filter which fits straight into the air box. I dont have the code in front of me but it has been mentioned numerous times on the board so do a search for it.

Cold Air intake is cheap and easy depending on the size of the pipe used. I put in a 100mm feed which required the butchering of the airbox, but others use a smaller feed which will fit straight in. Bigger the better with intake.

Other things inc. running on PULP and increase the timing to make use of the PULP.

A larger exhaust will also gain a few ponies. Around 2" seems to be the general consensus on the best size for the car (NA). Big debate on whether or not extractors are good. I personally have them and found no real gain in performance. Fuel consumption is changed slightly. Should always plan ahead, so if your thinking about turbo'n the car at some stage you might want to consider a larger exhaust 2.5"-3".

From there you can look at handling with increasing the size of your rear swaybar and possible add a strut brace to stiffn the front. Lowering the car 2" will pull it nice and close to the ground and get rid of the 4WD look. (No comments required here boyz. I know what you will say).

Apart from that the sky is the limit. Turbo conversion is vry appealing and not a huge bank breaker. Talk to BigMal, Lantis and Rupe about this if you interested.

Thats enough for me... time for a beer

MrShadow
10-06-2003, 09:06 AM
Also, see the topic "Performance Help" a couple of posts below this one. Has some useful info.

StreetRacer
12-06-2003, 05:06 PM
also asking a Q.

are these recommended?

http://freespace.virgin.net/steven.crook-dawkins/tuning%20guide/

shmulik

Pernod
19-06-2003, 04:20 PM
Thanks for that - sorry for the slow reply (the day after i posted my computer died and needed a complete overhaul).

Cheers

Shane

CareBear
19-06-2003, 05:27 PM
Here you can see a picture of the box, filter and everything fitted on my BA :)

http://fanms.com/car_filter.aspx

K&N Air Filter (33-2134) is the product name!

I would rather go for a free-air filter if I could choose again, and that was originally what I intended to get.

/Sondre

Pernod
19-06-2003, 06:02 PM
hey, thanks for that - looks like that and a CAI is a job for next weekend :-)

One question about the CAI people have been posting, what did you use to secure the piping in place? (at both the cold air end and at the filter end?)

Cheers

Shane

KittyKatSmack
20-06-2003, 08:20 AM
Would you believe I still haven't finished my CAI?

Just removing the res box and leaving the existing pipe in place hanging from the bottom of the air box has made a HUGE difference!

The 100mm pipe needs to be attached to your air box, and depending on what type of box you have, you will need to cut a hole in the bottom.

Jynx posted pics of his fibreglassing work, that's how he attached his.

ABC just sorta forced it in the hole (stays very on topic here!) from what I remember, don't know if he has done anything since... Andy?

It depends on several different things... the type of box you have, the type of pipe you use etc.....

Look around at the different types of pipe and then ask more questions.

I am famous around here for asking dumb questions, but its the only way to learn, and these guys are really helpful at setting you straight if there is any confusion.

And I highly recommend the rear sway bar.
At $150AU it made a HUGE difference to the turning and handling of the car. I used a Whiteline swaybar and so far it is the best $150 I have spent on the car.

Then there is cosmetic, see rupwrecht for those kinds of bits and bobs... I finally have my clear side indicators, and the amber bulbs are so bright, very much brighter than the amber lenses and clear bulbs.....
(read: I'm blind, I'm fricken blind!)

Also see Toyboy's post in Public Discussions about "Pics I took of my car" and you will see where he did a lot of work to his interior. It is awesome, and he did a lot of it himself. I may pay out Toyboy just because, but man that is an awesome lookin' interior.

Lantis, Rupewrecht and BigMal have done tons to their beasties so they are people that know! Cosmo Dude has rebuilt that many cars that I don't think even he knows how many ( :P Cosmo! )
Not saying the rest of the fella's don't know either, but first hand experience is the most valuable commodity in this situation. In fact a lot of the other fella's have also done a ton of work too, you just have to look at the readers rides to see. Critter can tell you lots about sound systems, etc etc. Everyone has something to add and it works.

Everyone here has been really helpful with my questions, and I am pretty much in the same situation as you are! They are also fairly patient with my ramblings :D

Good luck with your Astina Mod Addiction, be sure to write up everything you do, and take lots of pictures of the processes too! We lurve pics!!!

Cheers and welcome aboard!!!

:D :D

Pernod
20-06-2003, 09:55 AM
Thanks for that - just what I needed to know :-)
Anyone know anywhere in NZ (Wellington would be best) that I can get the AG (?) piping needed for a CAI?

I am a sound tech so I already have that covered, the interior is in planning, but my big weakness is mechanical.

I've pulled plenty of older cars to bits, and put them back together, however this is the first injected car that i've owned (stone age I know...) so i'll probably be posting plenty of stupid questions for under the bonnet.

BTW, has anyone posted instructions for pulling the dash out? Would they be any use to anyone?
If they would be useful (and dont exist) then I can throw some together as I have to take my dash off again anyway as one of the wires to my amp needs replacing.

Cheers
Shane.

JynX
20-06-2003, 11:41 AM
Your local hardware store should stock ag line. Make sure you get unslotted ag line otherwise youll have holes all up the pipe which will defeat the purpose.

Plumbing suppliers if not your hardware store.

Generally you can only buy it in 10/20m rolls.

Pernod
20-06-2003, 12:07 PM
Thats what I thought :-)
Sorry for all the stupid questions.

Shane.

ABC
20-06-2003, 01:30 PM
Just like any good modification its all held together with duct tape and cable ties - although with this one there's not even any duct tape!!! :D

With the cable ties in place the pipe stays where its supposed to as the bends in it are a bit tight for it to hold there by itself.

The front end of it is just floating at the moment but its all held in there reasonably solidly. Check out http://www.astinagt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=825 for how we did it all

http://www.digitalpose.com/mbr/1/18668/p/313710_8890994159891823034_vl.jpg

The hole in the bottom of the V6 Airbox fits nicely inside the 100mm ag pipe so all you need to do is hack the top end of the pipe a bit and it will sit over the top schweee!.

The intake hole in the 4cl is smaller so you might have to either use some smaller ag pipe to fit or hack a bit of a hole in the airbox to get it in there. Might be an idea to get an airbox from a wrecker or something and then hack away though you have more room around the airbox in the 4cl to allow some different angles of entry.

Hope this helps!

JynX
20-06-2003, 04:51 PM
Meh wreckers shmeckers... hack it anyway :)

http://www.focus.net.au/images/astina/airbox/

4cyl airbox to fit a 100mm ag line.

StreetRacer
21-06-2003, 02:41 AM
hi all

whats up?

whats is CAI ?

thanks mates

shmulik

Pernod
21-06-2003, 05:32 AM
CAI is a Cold air intake, but were all to lazy to ty it in full ;-)

Pernod
21-06-2003, 02:25 PM
Thanks for all the help.
It was such a nice day here that I thought I'd see just how much work it was to take that silly resonator (is that what its called) of the inflow.

Well, about 30 min later it was out and everything was back together :-)

Next step is the CAI - but that will have to wait till another weekend...

Pernod
22-06-2003, 02:53 PM
Ok, so I was a little impatient and decided to start my CAI this weekend...

It's mostly done :-)
The airbox has been customised (read butchered) enough to fit a 100mm pipe, this has been fitted and run around to the side of the fog light area.

The rest is having to wait till next weekend... as I'm going to have to take the front bar off and remove the fog light cover.

Does anyone have any recommendations on the best way to cut the front bar to allow the 100mm pipe to fit through? I see a few of you have done this before so any advice would be great. I plan to just hack at it with a coping saw, but if there is a better way I'd love to hear it ;-)

Thanks for all the help guys...

MrShadow
23-06-2003, 10:35 AM
Well, having the hardtop, the fog light cover is 110 mm in diameter, not sure about the hatch though.

Pernod
23-06-2003, 10:51 AM
Its not so much the actual fog light hole that is too small, its the side wall bit to where the fog light sits (ie the front bar on the side of the fog light).

There is only about 30mm between this and the radiator mount. I just saw in one of the photos of people doing their CAI that they just attacked it with a coping saw...

I think i can cope with that... :-)

ABC
23-06-2003, 12:01 PM
Just take a deep breath and hack away!

The intake pipe on mine doesn't actually poke through the hole behind the fog light, it just sits in behind the hole.

As I was doing it I thought that I was hacking out an enormous hole but once it all got back together with the fog light in it the hole is quite hidden and I could have hacked out even more. :D

I'll see if I can take some pics and post them up tomorrow when I get my camera back. :)

Pernod
23-06-2003, 12:33 PM
Thanks!
- some photos would be great if you get the chance...

My issue is that I dont have a fog light to cover whatever I cut :?
My plan is to mesh over the front and try and cover it with that...

mrpayner
23-06-2003, 05:20 PM
I thought KittyKattSmack took some photos like this on the Canberra CAI day, i remember going through her online gallery having a look and laughing at the comments she put with them...

Speaking of which..Kitty hasn't been around for a while.. Here kitty kitty.. :wink:

Adam

Pernod
23-06-2003, 05:27 PM
there is some of it being done, but couldn't find any clear pics of one once it was back together...

ABC
24-06-2003, 09:15 AM
Try this. Its pretty hard to see becuase everything is black and its all reasonably hidden behind the fog light but you can sort of see the hole and pipe in there somewhere.

No comments anyone on the cleanness of the car - its filthy at the moment. :(

I replaced the air filter a few weeks ago and blew down the tube and had my hand in front of the fog light and felt some wind so the system does actually work. :shock:

http://www.digitalpose.com/mbr/1/18668/p/365515_7625972793415152912_vl.jpg

Pernod
24-06-2003, 09:22 AM
That looks like a sweet job! Thanks for posting that, I'm amazed it just how much you can cut out without it being seen! - That gives me a bit more confidence :-)

ABC
24-06-2003, 09:59 AM
Yeah and because its a dark coloured car you really have to look to even see it! Might be a bit more noticeable on the sparkle green and with no fog light but is still not 'in your face' obvious. :D

Pernod
24-06-2003, 10:13 AM
My plan is to cut the bar a bit more even, and then try and mesh over it.

From what i've see if i cut it like this...

(Refer to image posted by sik astina below (thanks sik))

... then it should be possible to mesh over it and hide the pipe behind it.

Any thoughts from the people who have piped and/or meshed on how feasible this is, or am I just in dream land :-)

P.S. cut along the dotted line is a phrase i thought i'd never use with my car in mind...

MrShadow
24-06-2003, 10:18 AM
The piccie aint showing. If you need somebody to host the image for you, I can do it.

Pernod
24-06-2003, 10:37 AM
Damn Geocities - I seem to always have problems with one off photos.

If it's not showing try clicking 'show picture' or try http://www.geocities.com/landofshane/photos/cutbar.jpg or http://www.geocities.com/landofshane/photos/dotbar.gif. I'll move it off geocities to a different site when I get home (I cant FTP from work :-( )

sik astina
24-06-2003, 11:05 AM
heres the pic. i put it up on my uploader.

http://www.digitalpose.com/mbr/1/13844/p/365686_1719596815834523099_vl.jpg

-Mick :)

Pernod
24-06-2003, 11:17 AM
Thanks for that :-)
That makes everyones life a bit easier.

sik astina
24-06-2003, 11:25 AM
no worries :wink: :)