PDA

View Full Version : Sub Install - Missing 1/2 my boot :-/

Pernod
22-06-2003, 05:54 PM
Hi all,

Just wondering how others have their subs installed? I've taken the sub box that was in my old laser, and put it straight into my lantis...

Now i'm missing half my boot? So i'm thinking of rebuilding a custom box, so I was wondering how has everyone else installed theirs?

Cheers
Shane

P.S. Just ignore the rest of the crap in the boot - I just dumped everything there while I was working on the car :-)

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/shaneh2/halfboot.jpg
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/shaneh2/subboot.jpg

JynX
22-06-2003, 08:50 PM
Got Boot?

http://www.focus.net.au/images/astina/boot.jpg

I certainly dont. :)

Toyboy
22-06-2003, 09:21 PM
Yeah im the same as JYNX no boot :roll: But these things happen :P

Pernod
23-06-2003, 05:25 AM
And I thought I had it bad ;-)

Thats a huge box for a single, what freq does that thing rock at?

Mines tuned ever so slightly higher than I would like (low 30's instead of high 20's), but it was the only way to make it fit my old laser :-)

JynX
23-06-2003, 10:24 AM
Its not a single box, its a dual chamber box setup for two 12" alpine Type Rs but I havent gotten around to buying the two new subs yet. So my old VR is happly pumping away in it.

Not sure about tuneage, I had it built for me at the local audio shop.

Pernod
23-06-2003, 10:58 AM
That should crank with two 12's in it!

I find my single 12" just right for what i'm after - its a nice compromise between the room it takes up, and sound quality. In actual fact, I hardly ever drive it at a huge volume, but when I do, I find the 'double rubber' of the Vega gives it enough movement to spice things up quite nicely. Its the perfect compromise (for me anyway)

MrShadow
23-06-2003, 02:20 PM
Got Boot?

bwahaahahahahahahaha :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's better than "Got NOS?" :lol: :lol:

Critter
23-06-2003, 11:18 PM
It is NOT a boot......

It is the part of the car where the bass enclosure goes.....and some amps if there is any space left.

Boots are for people with strollers and cartons of handi-wipes :)

BigMal
24-06-2003, 12:41 PM
Carefull Mate,
Some of us have that stroller and diapers problem.
Although now he's 8 is more footy boots and bikes.
Thats why I have that small pre-fab box and the
2x12 Hi-Fonics as they handle small enclosures.
Give it a couple of years I am sure he will forgo those
things to come cruising with his old man and we can
then redesign the boot for better bass. He is already
into the turbo so may not be long.

Mal :D

Critter
25-06-2003, 06:28 PM
Bikes go on bike racks so you have room for BASS! :)

submersiblepotato
25-06-2003, 08:14 PM
Any of you guys heard of 'sealed' boxes?????

The manufac. sepc for my 10 inch infinity kappa is a 1/2 a cubic with 100% fibre fill.

I have plenty of boot space.

Plus sealed subs provide "proper bass" not "tuned freq DOOF !"

It's up to you....

Sub.....

Pernod
25-06-2003, 08:18 PM
i've never been quite sure how to get a sealed box to work. Most of my experience is in stage work, so space isn't an issue, so an optimal set up is a soundproofed box of certain dimensions and volume to allow the best range.

I have never worked out how to get the best out of a completly sealed box. Especially when you start dealing with subs that have a large amount of travel.

CRA23
26-06-2003, 08:13 PM
ive got a sealed box with a 12" kicker in it.. it only takes up like 1/4 of the boot... the enclouser is just one of autobarns cheepy 12" boxs but it works fine and still have room for carrying a heap of **** around.....

submersiblepotato
26-06-2003, 08:33 PM
Sealed sub's have a LOT less excursion than ported ones because they are compressing or expanding a contained volume of air. That's usually why you have to drive the tings harder to get sound out of them. But the overall effect is a more 'controlled' speaker movement...

that's my 2 cents worth anyhoo...

Sub..

JynX
26-06-2003, 10:30 PM
I never liked those pre-made boxes as every sub is different. I know my VR needs some crazy air space to operate in as it was originally designed to be a free to air sub

MY sub is pretty rat **** now, so I got em to make it to Type R specs for when i replace it.

CRA23
27-06-2003, 01:04 PM
yeah but my sub is only a dodgy old kicker impulse maybe pushin 150w, it didnt come with specs for a ported box only came with sealed specs.

BigMal
27-06-2003, 01:46 PM
Mine is a sealed setup too.
The hi-fonics are made for sealed.
I like the sound I can listen to music cranked up for hours
without a headache as I listen mostly to Trance.
Is a cleaner less droney sound. Its just not as low, I
think I need the fibre/dacron fill in it.

Regards

Mal