PDA

View Full Version : Speaker replacement

submersiblepotato
25-06-2003, 06:24 PM
Hey guys and gals....

Just a few questions.....

I have just got a 95 astina hatch and have a stereo from my last car waiting to go in. The problem is my front's are 6 inch splits. Am I able to make up an adapter plate to mount it on the original 5x7 cut-out? I also have 6 inch rears and I cannot decide if I should put them in the rear doors, or in the parcel shelf (which would sound better). I also have an infinity kappa 10 inch sub which i will be putting in a 1/2 cubic foot sealed mdf box and was wondering if there is a "sweet spot" where i can put it. The box will have to be removable.

and finally which bloody wire is the "remote antenna" one. I tried to look at a previous post which claimed to have a wiring diagram however the link was dead.

thanks ppl

SUB !!!

Pernod
25-06-2003, 06:50 PM
I'll have to have a look in the car for the remote antenna wire tomorrow for you as I have to take the HU out again anyway :-)

If no one else has posted it by then I should be able to post it for you by about this time tomorrow.

I have my rear speakers in the doors and I find that it actually gives a reasonably good balance for front/back levels (from the front seat). Havent tried putting them in the tray though so someone else may be able to shead so light on that option.

Not sure on the 'sweet spot' for the sub though - i'd actually be interested to know myself :wink:

submersiblepotato
25-06-2003, 07:02 PM
I have semi convinced myself not to put the rears in the parcel tray as it is a bit of stuffing around and ppl can see that you have speakers that are worth stealing....

Thanks for checking the wire for me.....

cheers

sub...

Pernod
25-06-2003, 07:09 PM
that was the same reason i put mine in the doors - and with a parcel tray hiding the sub, no one would know that there is anything out of the ordinary...

Will let you know tomorrow.

Shane

BigMal
25-06-2003, 07:28 PM
Your 6" splits will fit in the 5"x7" hole with a mdf adapter piece.
A lot of guys myself included have 6.5" splits in there with no probs.

Regards

Mal

Dogo
26-06-2003, 08:40 AM
i have fit 6" & 6.5" in the holes with no spacer. maybe its the way the speaker's support struts were placed :? But either way, the magnet was too deep and blocked the window from going down LOL

lol a 1/2 cubic foot u could almost fit under the seats !!! lol. shove it in the boot. I have key-locked latches ( screwed to the boot floor ) on my sub which i just unlock and pull it out when i need to. any hardware store should have them.

as for that link, i dunno where they are online now. If I'd read this yesterday i would've checked for u while i had the stereo pulled out :(

JynX
26-06-2003, 08:46 AM
Yeh the driver fits in the hole, but the magnet is too deep, thats why you need the spacer!

From what i understand from my audio tech, the only reason to mount the speakers on the rear shelf would be if your using a set of 6x9s with no sub. That way the sound rebounds off the glass and forward into the cabin as opposed to the doors which just aim at the opposite door.

If your going the split/sub combo, really all you need is a cheap set of 2ways in the rear for fill. All the sound will come from the splits and the bass will come from the sub.

Thats what ive been told/advised. Others may have different opinions

MrShadow
26-06-2003, 10:47 AM
Welcome to the forums! And if you'd like 6x9's in the parcel shelf, buy a hardtop :wink:

I'll see if I saved that wiring diagram image somewhere on disk for you.

Ciao

EDIT: Sorry, must have deleted it when I reloaded my system.

Rupewrecht
26-06-2003, 02:06 PM
Here's the Haynes wiring diagrams - i cant remember if the stereo ones are in in it but i assume so...

http://hrdwrbob.net/rupewrecht/AstinaGT/wiring_all.zip

Dogo
26-06-2003, 02:21 PM
yeh i vaguely remember they were image 13 ????

the only reason to mount the speakers on the rear shelf would be if your using a set of 6x9s with no sub

i dont agree. it depends on what you want from your sound. sounds like to me this guy is a bit if a bass-freak :wink:

Pernod
26-06-2003, 03:15 PM
I have just had a look and the cable you are after is either...
Red
Blue/Black

I cant tell which one of these it is as its dark :-) One of these goes to my amp relay, the other is the one you want...

I vaugly remember it being the blue/black one?

Hope this is off use.

Shane

BigMal
26-06-2003, 06:05 PM
Hey Mr Shadow,
Bit extreme to to sell his hatch & buy a hardtop just to have 6x9's.
I just paid $100 to have a mdf rear shelf made :D The 6x9's were a
leftover from my previous car so put them to use and have done
me fine for years now. If I was choosing I would go the 6" rounds
for fill but if you got the 6x9's then use em.

Regards

Mal

submersiblepotato
26-06-2003, 07:00 PM
Thanks ppl,

Any chance you guys have the workshop manual too???? I'm just about to do the timing belt and a major service....

I found this cool beefy 3 pin cannon plug which i can use to disconnect my sub real quick... flogged it from work... BARGAIN !!!

Hey mal, any ieda what thickness mdf you used? did you make a template??

cheers,

Sub...

JynX
26-06-2003, 09:33 PM
10mm mdf should do the trick

just pull the speaker out a bit untill your happy with the depth, measure the gap. Simple.

cgunther
26-06-2003, 10:35 PM
In my boot I use Neutrik Speakon plugs. They are two channel plugs, so I can run my 7x10s on a custom shelf (stereo), or put my sub in and run it in bridged mode (without re-wiring stuff). They're sturdy, 'click' in, take large wires, and use allen key grub screws for the male plug (no soldering).

I got them from Jaycar. They are cool, but are about $10 for the male, and $10 for the female plugs. Heaps neater than the people who clip in/out the wires from the speaker terminals.

Male: http://www.neutrik.com/images/ock/sublevel/thumbs/2_204_184671.png
female: http://www.neutrik.com/images/ock/sublevel/thumbs/2_204_54361.png

PS - I don't work for Jaycar, or Neutrik :)

I found this cool beefy 3 pin cannon plug which i can use to disconnect my sub real quick

submersiblepotato
27-06-2003, 05:50 PM
kool, great minds think alike... any idea what current rating they are?

Sub..

cgunther
29-06-2003, 08:12 PM
Don't know what current rating they are, but I think they'll take 10 guage wire...

kool, great minds think alike... any idea what current rating they are?