PDA

View Full Version : stud pattern and offset for 99bj 1.6?

BJ BoI
12-11-2006, 09:37 AM
Hey guys, i am looking for a new set of 15's or 16's for my 99 bj 1 series 1.6L Astina but i was just wondering if anyone could tell me the standard stud pattern and offset? cheers guys

chicaboo
12-11-2006, 11:38 AM
Hey bro,

Your stud pattern is 4X100 and the Ideal offset is +45. But depending on the wheel size, choice of tyre and how lowered your car is, you can get away with +38~50 (lower number means wheels sit outward further).

+38 on a 7" wide rim will rarely scrub on a lowered car with a round shouldered tyre.
+40 on the same rim and car can scrub quite often with a square edged tyre.
+42~48 is considered the safest offset range for most BJ's.

Unfortunately most wheels are +38, but you can still get nice styles in +45, but they are usually slightly more expensive brands that offer it.

You can get your rear guards rolled (portion of inner bumper ground too), which will give you another 3mm or more of play again for your wheel choice. The fronts won't scrub unless you get something rediculous, in which case the rear would be blowing smoke anyhow...

Cheers,
Gav.

PS: SupaGreg still cracks me up!

BJ BoI
12-11-2006, 12:44 PM
sweet as mate, your a great help as usual. sorry i haven't been on for a while by the way guys, i have been busy as with work and havent had any cash to spend on the astina (focusing on getting the loan paid off first)

PS: SupaGreg still cracks me up!

LONG LIVE SUPERGREG

chicaboo
12-11-2006, 09:04 PM
LONG LIVE SUPERGREGNUMBA 1!!! :p

Orion
13-11-2006, 10:08 AM
I hope Im not hijacking this thread but we are on the topic of BJ 323's, wheels and offsets. The standard offset of the BJ-II is +48.

I have just picked a set of 17" MX-5 rims with an offset of 55p (which I am guessing is the same as +55). It was mentioned before that the lower the offset the further out the wheel would sit. As I have a high-ish offset, does this mean that I will need spacers to get the wheel to sit out a bit further and prevent scrubbing?

This question about the MX-5 rims has been asked before, but there wasnt a final answer given. Just "It should be right". It would be great to hear from someone who has gone down this path. Thanks.

chicaboo
13-11-2006, 01:15 PM
Hey Darryl,

+55 would sit dangerously close to the rear spring seats and one of the lower lateral link bolts depending on the width of the wheel. EG: 6.5" wide should be fine, but 7" wheel might have margainal or no clearance at all? However, I have been told there is some geometry difference on the hub assembly on the SP20, so you might gain a couple of mm to make it work?

What model MX5 are these wheels off? Because all of the pre-current MX5's had 4X stud patterns. I've been told the use of spacers is illegal, but I've never seen it written anywhere, and Bob Jane put spacers on cars they've farked up the wheel offset on too... +55 will reduce your track too, but not enough to make it illegal, just that it has a negative handling aspect to it aswell.

Hope I haven't scared everyone. If you're wheels don't fit, I would look at them, but +55 won't fit on my car due to the above reasons.

Gav.

Orion
13-11-2006, 01:37 PM
These are 10-spoke 17" x 7" OEM rims off the current MX-5. I got them off a local tyre store who didnt mention anything about offset. However, I will take at least half the blame for not researching this properly in the first place. :rolleyes:

So, what is the best course of action? Put them on and check that they dont rub on the suspension? They aren't overly big or wide rims so I cant see why they would rub on any wheel arches as long as I had 215/40/17 tyres on. Just might have to be careful on the tyre brand choice to get more rounded tyres.

chicaboo
13-11-2006, 01:45 PM
Do the wheels happen to say 17x6.5JJ on the inside of the boss or around the rim? 10mm spacers would have them sitting just they way you want, but I guess you will have to do a test fit with a bare wheel, look at the clearance and determine how far proud of the rim your tyre can go, then you can consider your tyres moreso. Remember you are really only concerned with the rears, the fronts are quite forgiving.

I know you can machine down wheels a couple of mm to increase offset, I wonder if you can weld to alloy to reduce it? :p

Rupewrecht
13-11-2006, 01:48 PM
I know you can machine down wheels a couple of mm to increase offset, I wonder if you can weld to alloy to reduce it? :p

Thats what spacers are for ;)

If you weld the spacers to the rim or hub, then theyr'e legal (once approved by an engineer of course)

chicaboo
13-11-2006, 01:58 PM
That's what I was getting at, it wouldn't look pretty though...

I've got 10mm ish thick spacers at home for a Camry (5x114.3?), if it's the same pattern, you can have mine.

Orion
13-11-2006, 02:21 PM
Gav,

It would be good to do a test fit with/without spacers to see if there is any issue with the rear suspension. So basically, I would need to have a 10mm spacer welded (and therefore a permanent fixture) onto the hub for it to be legal. I dont even want to start thinking about the insurance questions for this - and it sounds like I would need a mod plate from an engineer. :(

Anyone know anything about hub centric spacers? I read somewhere that they can put the weight back onto the hub? Just what someone else said - feel free to shoot that claim down. Also, what are the standard offsets for Mazda 3's and 6's? Cheers.

Rupewrecht
13-11-2006, 02:26 PM
Mazda6 is +55, and i know the 3MPS is +52.5 but not sure on regular Mazda3s

chicaboo
13-11-2006, 02:34 PM
Gav,

It would be good to do a test fit with/without spacers to see if there is any issue with the rear suspension. So basically, I would need to have a 10mm spacer welded (and therefore a permanent fixture) onto the hub for it to be legal. I dont even want to start thinking about the insurance questions for this - and it sounds like I would need a mod plate from an engineer. :(

Anyone know anything about hub centric spacers? I read somewhere that they can put the weight back onto the hub? Just what someone else said - feel free to shoot that claim down. Also, what are the standard offsets for Mazda 3's and 6's? Cheers.
Nah, not welding the spacer to the hub, but to the wheel. It's not as if they are highly visible things though. Say if you painted your hubs and spacer black, they wouldn't likely be picked up on a roadside inspection. I don't fancy the idea of welding anything like that though... :(

Orion
13-11-2006, 03:01 PM
Right, just did a quick check using this offset calculator:
http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp

EVEN IF the rims are only 6.5" wide the only reduce the track distance by 1mm on each side, so I dont think that there are major problems there. If they are 7" (which I fairly sure they are - will check tonight) the increase the track by 6mm each side - no problems at all there.

The only issue I will have now is the clearance to the rear suspension equipment. Mazda 3's offset is 55.2, so these rims would fit the 3 without drama. Only thing is doesnt want to fit is my car :mad:

I do not want to go down the spacer route, so it is going to be determined by a test fit against the suspension to see if it is going to cause any problems. If I change suspension in the future, is this likely to complicate things further???

Orion
13-11-2006, 03:23 PM
Have found SP20 owners with SP23 rims (+55.2 offset) so am confident that they will slot straight on without scrubbing. This is with the stock suspension setup though. Gav, can you shed any light on whether Tokico/Eibach, or any other aftermarket suspension combination, is much bigger/wider (not sure of the term I need to use here) than stock and could cause an issue in the future. Slightly relieved ..... :)

chicaboo
13-11-2006, 03:37 PM
Are SP23 rims +52.5 or +55.2? Like I said earlier, due to the different hub on the SP20, I think you have another ~3mm (maybe more?) to play with in + offset (I've never measured it as stud pattern is different), probably why you can go over +50 without too many probs.

Tociko/Eibach occupies the same space that stock does. Only if you go to coilovers do you free up space on the upper portion of the wheel/tyre. The lower lateral link end is always there, so unless your wheel is big enough to go around it (17/18"+), it's something of a concern. A test fit will give you a fair idea of the clearance, but only when the suspension is uncompressed, when you're lowered and under load, things adpot a - camber, and get closer/further away from other stuff...