PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about Turbo conversion

TDK
11-07-2003, 05:01 PM
I'm think of getting a Turbo conversion on my 2002 SP20. Does anyone have any advice/info about this?. Any comments would help because i am yet undecided, and i also have a very limited knowledge about turbo's.

Thanks,
TDK

BigMal
12-07-2003, 10:35 AM
You have to make the decision of low boost or high boost. The
latter costs a lot more as you need to replace pistons which based
on Dans purchase are a bit over $1000, then you got the rebuild
costs as the block will at least need a hone if not a slight bore.
For either option the cost of a turbo manifold is a bit over $500
then turbo itself just get a VJ20 as will be enough for a low boost
option or sky/$$$ is the limit for a high boost. If you go the VJ20
the block may still have the oil and water holes that the BP does to
connect a turbo so can use factory stuff (Need to check).
For low boost you may be able to get away with a FPR to add enough
extra fuel for boost if not something like a Unichip. I personally
dont like 5th injector setups but each to there own so you could go
that way. For high boost a replacement ECU will give the most
flexibility but go for a dearer one like Autronic, Wolf, Haltek where
they have closed loop, cold start and other daily drive and emissions
friendly options. Lastly check with someone like AVO if they are doing
a kit for the SP20 as may be a little dearer but will save a lot of
running around and headaches.

Hope this gives you some things to think about.

Mal

TDK
12-07-2003, 05:28 PM
I think I would go for the low boost. The high boost setup will need me to sell the car to be able to afford it. So, we have agreed on the low boost. What do I need, and how much (approx.) will it all cost? The other big question is how will this setup affect the rest of the car, will I start having problems later on due to the turbo. I already have a unichip, so I’m guessing this will be enough for the low boost setup.

Also, I know that one of the biggest issues with releasing extractors for the SP20 was the placement of the O2 sensors. How will this work on a turbo setup. The first cat is right where the headers are, I’m guessing that it would be best to remove it so that the air can flow much more freely. But then what would that section look like.

The more I think of it, the more I want to do it. So if I could get everyone’s help this could be the ASTINAGT Turbo project car. I guess that makes me the Guinea pig. Oh well.

P.S. Thanks for the info so far Mal.

ezin
14-07-2003, 11:14 PM
Hey TDK, I to wouldn't mind putting a snail on my sp20! You can look at the mazda website in america on the mazdaspeed sp20 turbo thats completely factory! it looks to good with 170hp + they tell you all the mods they have done to get the power to the ground Eg:LSD (expensive) I'm waiting to see if mazdaspeed are likely to import the kits! On the topic of boost I would think that 10psi would be a goal with a copper head gasket to lower the compression ratio + if you were to clean up the head that would lower the ratio a tiny bit! U would also need to change the injectors! Remember that its only FWD and anything over 200kw may
cause handling probelms! Although that does bring a smile to my face! I dont think it would be hard to do this! its just a question of time good research and hopefully little cash although i dought it!
Good Luck! if you find any good kits be sure to post it!