PDA

View Full Version : another power question...

Memphis
12-07-2003, 04:24 PM
a 4x50 HU...does that just power each of the 4 speakers at 50W PMPO...or if only 2 speakers are connected does it power them more than 50W??
If it only powers each speaker at 50W i'll plug both fronts and rears into it...otherwise I'll have to stop being tight and find myself an amp for my 150w rms splits.....power sucking biatches. :roll:

JynX
12-07-2003, 06:05 PM
Should be 50W per channel.

submersiblepotato
16-07-2003, 06:41 PM
As far as i am aware they do not share power if only two speakers are connected..

I have a high-end pioneer head unit which claims mosfet 50watts times four.... {cough...} have a look at a 200 watt rms amplifier and then look back at your piddily little head unit.....

A quick glance in the specs part of your manual will reveal a much more realistic power rating in continuous rms, in my case 23 watts....

Cheers,

Sub

submersiblepotato
16-07-2003, 06:44 PM
Oh yeah, i'm not sure about doubling up your connections to your speakers.... The HU may well die a horrible death...

Best check if it is able to be bridged. if it is, power to the people, or in this case... your splits..

bridging will take a 23 watt rms output to around 70 watts rms....

adios,

Sub

Critter
23-07-2003, 06:03 PM
No way can you bridge the outputs of a HU safely....get hot, go BOOM. No warranty, dead.

Typically 50 watts peak HU power will be 18 watts rms (23 watts rms is rare), what there is at each output is what there is.........

Real power = an external amp. The power supply in a HU is practically non-existent so they produce no bass worth talking about.
Moving speakers at low frequencies requires a decent power supply, that is all there is to it.

Trav
24-07-2003, 08:43 AM
No way can you bridge the outputs of a HU safely....get hot, go BOOM. No warranty, dead.

Typically 50 watts peak HU power will be 18 watts rms (23 watts rms is rare), what there is at each output is what there is.........

Real power = an external amp. The power supply in a HU is practically non-existent so they produce no bass worth talking about.
Moving speakers at low frequencies requires a decent power supply, that is all there is to it.

I agree - things will go pearshaped for you, but the power calcs are a bit wrong:

Maths for peak/rms power:

Power(peak) = 2^(0.5) * Power(RMS)

RMS stands for Root Mean Square, hence the sqare of 2 in the formula.

Reverse that round to:

Power(RMS) = Power(peak) / 2^(0.5)

Therefore 50W(peak) / 1.41 = 35W(RMS)