PDA

View Full Version : tube & fin vs bar & plate intercoolers

-dc-
28-02-2007, 06:18 AM
i was looking at getting a new intercooler and was unsure of whats better tube and fin or bar and plate intercoolers?

cheers,

dc

BigMal
28-02-2007, 09:28 AM
Tube and Fin gives better cooling but Bar and Plate gives better flow. B&P also looks metter imo. Just get the Hybrid copies they can be had for like $200 nowadays.

bourbon
28-02-2007, 02:04 PM
has anyone tried the water to air ??? some guys have used them in the BA XR6T

rodhog
01-03-2007, 03:19 AM
Tube and Fin gives better cooling but Bar and Plate gives better flow. B&P also looks metter imo. Just get the Hybrid copies they can be had for like $200 nowadays.

actually it's the other way round.

Bar and plate creats more pressure drop across the core but in doing so can achive a lower out let temp but you have to put more air into get it out.
Found this out the hard way.

Tube and find on the other hand won't achive as low a drop in temp as bar and plate as it has less surface area to remove the heat. but it does aloow better flow. Which in turn creats less presusre drop.

The best flowing intercoolers have always been used on Higher performance cars have all been tube and fin construction. Using as many tubes as possible.

A good example of one is a GT-R cooler

A good example of a bad cooler is a XR-6 turbo. requires almost double what goes into to get it out.

-dc-
01-03-2007, 07:47 AM
which one do u guys think would best suit a familia gtx engine with about 10psi of boost and stock turbo? tube and fin because it flows better?

rodhog
01-03-2007, 12:21 PM
with only 10psi and factory turbo - tube and fin as you don't want the turbo making 12-14 psi to achive 10psi at the manifold.

-dc-
01-03-2007, 03:22 PM
good point rodhog, i think i might just got for the tube and fin then, thanks for the help guys!

rodhog
02-03-2007, 01:00 AM
you will also notice on places like ebay most are bar and plate as it's very cheap.

but like PWR mainly only make tube and fin coolers. there new economey range AREO2 is real good my mate put on on a S15 -swaped over from his cheap B&R one. We actually notcied a difference in driveability