PDA

View Full Version : ignition wire

jcywong
16-07-2003, 11:06 PM
is there any benefit in changing the original ignition wire if it's new ??

Toyboy
16-07-2003, 11:37 PM
Prolly not man,i wouldnt go spending any cash on new 1's if yours are good,ive read somewhere that aftermarket 1's make no difference in power 8)
Alot of people recon the bigger the better in leads but the inner core is still the same,it just means they have more insulation when they are bigger,save your money man :wink:

Dogo
17-07-2003, 10:43 AM
how abt the ground wires ? u can get ground wire kits that *apparently* give u a tiny bit more power. Quite often the ground from engine to chassis is pretty small and weak, so if ur concentrating on getting a better spark by upgrading the igtn wires and plugs, it wouldnt make sense to ignore this bit too.

otherwise, considering an electrical circuit is only as good as its weakest link - you're wasting your time !!

tho i might note rather than buying a kit, just buy some 4guage car power wire and save urself a LOT of $$

Toyboy
17-07-2003, 02:48 PM
Yeah i upgraded my ground wire from the Negative battery terminal to a 4gauge cable and kept the existing standard 1 aswell :wink:

JynX
17-07-2003, 04:59 PM
The different gauges available is a measure of the wire core not the insulation. The smaller the gauge the larger the core and the smaller the resistance in the wire itself.

You really only need to upgrade the cable size if you are drawing alot of current through the ignition circuit. Any high load items should be wired directly to the battery and fused accordingly.

Upgrading the ignition wire will have no direct effect on the spark in ur plugs. You would have to upgrade everything back from the dizzy to get a benefit. Your better off using better plugs and upgrading your leads to somthing a little thicker. More benfits would be seen there then re-wiring everything back from the dizzy.

The ground wire would benefit from an upgrade as it is quite small, and grounding in two different spots is never a bad idea, but you should use the same gauge wire for both grounds or you will find the distribution over the two wires will be uneven as one is less resistive then the other.

jcywong
17-07-2003, 11:55 PM
I have already had a set of 4 guage with 6 grounding point, some improvement in low to mid torque, brighter lights, response and starting.
good value for money

Dogo
18-07-2003, 09:19 AM
just out of interest, where do the 6 points ground to ?

jcywong
18-07-2003, 02:08 PM
3 body earth, including the original point
1 near distributor
2 near cylinder head

jcywong
18-07-2003, 02:13 PM
sorry i mean
3 body earth, including the original point
1 near alternator
2 near cylinder head