PDA

View Full Version : Derusting brake parts

telefoongids
07-03-2007, 11:33 PM
Hey guys,

When I changed my brake pads the other day I noticed that those parts down there were very rusty and ugly looking.

Unfortunately my parts didnt look like the ones here on this picture:
http://www.dairally.net/shop/pics/jobphotos/20070120ryan_tracey_astina/Photo0057.jpg
unfortunately :(

So How can I make my gear down there look kinda like on that photo? How can I de-ugly them?

Is using a steelbrush and some sanding enough? Or are there other better ways?

Cheers from overseas,

T.

project.r.racing
07-03-2007, 11:40 PM
Hey that's my brakes!!!
there was heaps of rust on those old things.
steelbrush is enough... but rust is normal really. so your call whether you do it or not.

ryan

telefoongids
07-03-2007, 11:42 PM
hmm,

Your brakes look sweet! :D

I was planning to paint the in the future. And with all the rugged rust edges of the caliper and dust cover makes it a lot easier for me. So a steelbrush is enough.

Thnx mate!

project.r.racing
07-03-2007, 11:50 PM
Sorry, what parts are you referring to please?

If you gonna paint it, just wait until then... Have them sand-blasted then painted properly.

Ryan

telefoongids
08-03-2007, 12:13 AM
Just the caliper and the dust cover behind the rotor.

I haven't got money, so using a steel brush and hand painting is the best choice for me ;)

This thingey:
http://members.home.nl/tjhenckens/Photo00577.JPG
(Don't know the proper english word for it).

Thnx anyway.

Cheers

boostedbatman
08-03-2007, 04:42 AM
That would be 'splash shield'
Youu dont have much money so are going to hand paint???
I hope you still mean spray can and not paintbrush. Cans of Brake Paint are cheap as

Ryan whats with the pimped out new handle??
Whats the 'R'? if its Ryan ...... Are you a project??

project.r.racing
08-03-2007, 05:58 PM
Ryan whats with the pimped out new handle?? Whats the 'R'? if its Ryan ...... Are you a project??You are correct on both accounts LOL

telefoongids
10-03-2007, 10:00 AM
That would be 'splash shield'
Youu dont have much money so are going to hand paint???
I hope you still mean spray can and not paintbrush. Cans of Brake Paint are cheap as

thnx, "splash shield". Would have never come up with that one. They only teach basic english on schools here in the Netherlands.. Poor english car part vocabulary for me :(

And thnx for the tip on not to use cans of paint.

telefoongids
14-03-2007, 08:24 PM
Well,

I've spent my entire afternoon steel brushing all the parts. After sticking the darn brush in my fingers three times the job was done!

The mayor rust built up has disappeared and the surface looks smoother than before. Tomorrow I will give them the finishing touch with some sandpaper.

Thnx for your replies.

T.