PDA

View Full Version : Timing belt anyone?

submersiblepotato
22-07-2003, 05:04 PM
My 95 1.8 astina has just hit the 110,000 k mark and i would like to do the timing belt asap. I can get the belt from repco for $50 or the belt and running gear 'kit' fir $200. I would prob go for the kit if i knew that i could do it.

Is it an absolute b1tch to get in there and do? am i better off getting a mechanic to do it and save myself the headache? I have a pretty extensive tool box collection that would be upto the task...

I've done the timing chain on my motorbike, but never a belt and never a DOCH motor....

A penny for your thoughts????

cheers,

Sub

(ps, a photocopy of the relevant pages in the workshop manual would be great if someone would be so kind....)

Dogo
22-07-2003, 06:58 PM
i'll see what I can scan for u ...

from memory it doesnt show how to do it with the engine still under the bonnet tho. but it may be of some use :?

Trav
23-07-2003, 08:54 AM
I'm doing mine with the kit on the 11th August, as well as the rocker cover gasket, so if you can wait till then...

Looking at the task invovled, it will be most of a morning to do the lot, most likely with a lot of swearing and cursing too...

submersiblepotato
23-07-2003, 06:26 PM
yeah, that's what i'm thinking....

Oh well, keep me posted...

cheers,

Sub

BigMal
23-07-2003, 11:31 PM
Think you guys are in for a hard time. Only the top half of the cam
cover comes off think it will be a bitch to get the belt over the bottom
cog and aligned up correctly. I wisely did mine when I did the conversion
when the motor was out of the car and think I will plan to rebuild the
motor to coincide with the next change.

Best of luck let us know how you go.

Regards

Mal

submersiblepotato
24-07-2003, 05:36 PM
Sounds like it's a job for an overpaid mechanic to me...

more hassle than it's worth me thinks....

thanks anyhoo,

Sub

Cosmo Dude
24-07-2003, 09:07 PM
All the covers come off somewhat easily, you need to remove the harmonic ballancer (Main pulley) this is done up f#$@&n tightly and then needs a puller to remove.
Although the mechanic will bill you for his time it becomes his problem if something goes wrong.

My consolation is that I get more per hour than my mechanic does :P

Rod

Trav
26-08-2003, 04:16 PM
Okay sorry for the late reply....

It took me Three hours to do with a decked out toolbox and air tools. After removing most of the stuff from the timing side of the engine, cover, alt/ac belts, 1 engine monut and three mount bolts, I would definately say if you have not attempted a timing belt before (on any car), don't even think about it. If you are like me and have done a few to various cars, then have a think, but you better know what you are doing and have the right tools. I tell ya - you don't want to be a few teeth out otherwise you will end up with a really nice piece of scrap for an engine.

My advice, take it to your mechanic and be ready for a $500 bill.

Full timing belt kit (belt and all three seals and pullies) and a rocker cover gasket was $135.25 (trade price), so you can work out how much it might cost from the mechanics :)

Toyboy
26-08-2003, 04:58 PM
That timing belt kit,was that an aftermarket 1,or from mazda dude?
Cause i went to price a genuine kit from mazda and they told me they dont make a kit,and give me individual prices on the belt/tensioner etc,wasnt to cheap :shock:

Trav
27-08-2003, 12:16 PM
after market - hell yeah... I have actually put the part sticker on my car, and will try to remeber to post it up here, and also on Adam's parts register....

Toyboy
27-08-2003, 06:01 PM
Thanks man,cause ill be looking to do my timing belt change in another 10,000kms :wink:

Trav
02-09-2003, 09:32 PM
Okay - again sorry for the slackness....

Dayco Belts do the majority of good aftermarket belts and kits www.dayco.com

Belts as follows:
323, 1.8L 16V DOHC 94-98

CAM KIT - KTB247
CAM - 145RHP+22H
PS+AC (w/cab.filter) - 4PK1005
ALT - 4PK884
PS - 4PK884
PS+AC - 4PK990

I will forward on all the part number for the majority of our members to Adam so he can update 'THE' spreadsheet...
[/url]