PDA

View Full Version : Boost on BPT

FEM
04-04-2007, 11:41 PM
Hey all,

Not sure if this is on the forum, had a bit of a look and couldn't find it.

I'm curious as to how to increase boost on a BPT. Can you increase with with the stock controller, or do you need a after market boost controller? I am just interested to know what would be the most cost effective solution for adding a tad more boost.

Cheers :)

Dan.

newman
04-04-2007, 11:57 PM
what is the stock bpt boost controller? you have to get an aftermarket one mate :)

Aaron
05-04-2007, 12:23 AM
Most cost effective is a bleed valve on the wastegate control line. Typically you can dial up about 10-14psi, but the ECU will cut the party at 300cfm as measured by the Airflow meter so the fun is a bit limited....

The stock turbo really doesn't do much above 14psi anyway so it's no real loss.

A.

FEM
05-04-2007, 01:21 AM
yeah its got after market ecu - microtech lt8. Just get a cheap after market manual dial up? does it really matter about brands with the mechanical ones?

Cheers Men.

89sp1.8
05-04-2007, 06:42 AM
yeah can buy 'boost tees',manual boost controllers..easy to put in..get them for under $100,and just wind up or down..just have to play round with it abit in 3rd gear to get desired psi.

but also..having a 2" exhaust is very restictive..so if planning on getting re-done..3" will let it creep out to 10-13psi with no boost adjustment

Most cost effective is a bleed valve on the wastegate control line. Typically you can dial up about 10-14psi, but the ECU will cut the party at 300cfm as measured by the Airflow meter so the fun is a bit limited....

The stock turbo really doesn't do much above 14psi anyway so it's no real loss.

A.

with everything standard,would it be able to handle 14 comfortably? or would that be pushing sumthing to blow..(with all standard internals etc)

Aaron
05-04-2007, 07:17 AM
From what I've heard these motors are very strong unless you don't fuel them enough. That means making sure you have some methods to stop it leaning out with the stock ECU - typically a rising rate FPR...

I've not read of anyone blowing anything at < 18psi without another issue making it happen.

A.

chicaboo
05-04-2007, 08:11 AM
I can't bleev that he's got a Microtech now without an MBC or bleed valve... Have you got a boost gauge now? I would've thought 14psi is well above boost cut, but that's prolly been disconnected if it's on Microtech?

If you check the lines going to the turbo from the wastegate actuator there is prolly an MBC there now. Otherwise as previously suggested, you can get an MBC/bleedvalve. Good choices are Turbosmart dual MBC (has a low and hi boost valve = $$$), GFB Atomic MBC ($110) or Turbotech MBC ($40). The 2nd 2 I mentioned will try to make your turbo achieve max boost as early as possible but only up to the set limit, finding that limit takes a bit of stuffing around and you will need a boost gauge...

Gav.

dave0r
05-04-2007, 10:00 AM
buy a good boost controller Apexi flash bling unit, bleed taps are fine, but mine spiked every now and then....14psi on a stock Vj20 doesnt do anygood for the engine or turbo, just heaps of hot air.. 12psi is about where its start to run very very hot....

remeber kiddys GTX dont have map sensors..a VJ1 turbo could pump 25psi in to a GTX engine..and then cut the fuel! :P...as it hits just over 300cfm on the AFM

GTXWGN had 190 wkw outa his GTX engine..so they can handle.. the power

chicaboo
05-04-2007, 10:18 AM
Dan: Before you look at bling EBCs or cheap MBCs, you should lay the ground work for hi boost in any case. ie: decarb, replace sparkplugs, leads, distributor cap/rotor, ignition module, coil pack, oil+filter, fuel filter, clean the injectors and clean/replace air filter.

I reckon I've picked up 20hp from just doing the plugs, dizzy cap/rotor and oil/filter change...

Gav.

FEM
05-04-2007, 02:53 PM
Hypothetical:

Stock exhaust
BPT
microtech lt8
malpiassi rising regulator
Walbro pump

It runs 7psi atm. That is stock, as is. Im just after a tad more if i can :)
do i just buy a tee with a mechanical dial?

Cheers men.

BigMal
07-04-2007, 09:41 AM
Save for an extra month and get yourself a VF10.
Add it and then add a boost controller and a redyno and you will be looking
at around 145-160kw atw which will really put a smile on your face. I wouldn't
waste my time playing with the VJ20 when the VF10's can be had so cheap.

QuicKSilveR
07-04-2007, 10:39 AM
18psi is generally a safe level for the BPT, but they've been known to take well over 20psi stock. The actual engine is tough as nails. The only thing that goes is the conrods.

My BPT running 24psi and 320HP at wheels only has some forgies and stock GTR conrods (with headflow). No fancy springs, valves or crank etc.

BigMal
07-04-2007, 06:16 PM
Now that you car is all together hows the off the mark with the GT2540R ??
I really love the way my potato comes on boost but I am thinking that
when I decide to rebuild my engine with GTR rods and forgies and aim
for higher boost say 20-22psi the GT28RS wont be up to the task.
Shame cant have it all, low down and up top :(

89sp1.8
08-04-2007, 07:54 PM
wat psi range do u guys reckon could handle comfortably,with vf10, without forgies? gtx internals not gtr..have heard that the gtr has semi forgies?

ROB-80E
09-04-2007, 04:35 PM
You'll max out the turbo's PSI effeciency before you have to worry about the engines reliability. Anything above 16psi you're pretty much wasting your time with a VF10.

Unless you're planning on getting detonation, the piston makup should't be a worry for you. When you want to get a bigger turbo and run higher than 18psi, your concern will be rods, not pistons. ;)

89sp1.8
09-04-2007, 06:08 PM
ok cheers good to know

GTXWGN
11-04-2007, 03:09 PM
damn those evil rods to hell!!

ARP now make rod bolts and they off the self...however most broken rods ive seen the bolts were still in tact

dave0r
11-04-2007, 05:07 PM

ARP now make rod bolts and they off the self...however most broken rods ive seen the bolts were still in tact

yes

im still worried that they give out on this GTX motor im using ...to scared to take it to the max

BigMal
12-04-2007, 09:56 AM

I have been looking for ARP rod bolts for ages. I know the part number 118-6401
but no-body has them all say "Coming" You know where to get them from.

ta

Mal

GTXWGN
14-04-2007, 09:04 PM
yeah i have an account at a supplier and they are in stock in brisbane, howeer i wont tell you the name in case theres only 1 set left as i buy them this week! hehe sorry ill let u know later on..but they are no longer coming soon. they are in the latest catalog now

125 bucks

they fit gtr rods too