PDA

View Full Version : Mighty mags.....

submersiblepotato
24-07-2003, 07:25 PM
Now I know this question has been asked before, but i'm going to ask again....... just for fun..

Where did you guys get your mags from? I live in brizvegas and want to put a set of 16 ir 17's on my BA hatch.

I just want some nice multi spoke (5 and over) nothing to flashy, no chrome and there are so many brands i have no idea what to get.

like these.....

http://www.tyres.com/upload_images/Lenso/ACF731A.JPG
http://www.tyres.com/upload_images/Lenso/vl2.JPG
http://www.donnellans.com.au/wheelsfolder/ROH/azzurro.jpg

where to got and how much to spend...... (around the $1500 mark w/rubber)

TIA,

Sub

kyra
25-07-2003, 09:30 AM
Hi Sub,

The first wheel looks similar to Lenso Muse. This wheel is fantastic... not sure what car it would not suit!! Not sure if you could pull 17's plus tyres for under $1500, might be tad over. My friend bought Lenso SS (speed six) in 18' rim with tyres for $2000.

Not sure about wheel and tyre places in Brissy, but you can call Lenso direct in Sydney and they will tell you the nearest stockist.

Good luck!!

Cheers,
Bill

ABC
25-07-2003, 09:57 AM
I suspect that you will be limited in your choices by wheels that you can get in the four stud pattern (assuming you are driving a 4CL).

The best idea might be to go into a few places and ask them for some brochures of wheels that you can get in a four stud pattern in 16 and 17 and you'll probably be left with about 15 or so to chose from after dismissing chromies and just plain ugly ones.

mrpayner
25-07-2003, 12:24 PM
Those second rims look remarkably similar to the wheels Richard has on his car [from the UK]... He's got the RSS Khan wheels in 18"..

http://www.amihotornot.com.au/album/photos/18162-2003725122550.jpg

What are the second one's if you don't mind me asking??

Adam

BigBoyLemonade
25-07-2003, 12:41 PM
Get the first ones!!! they are nice as!!

Lenso Muse I think they are called

JynX
25-07-2003, 01:38 PM
Ill second the first ones. sweet lookin rims.

submersiblepotato
25-07-2003, 06:20 PM
yeah, the first one is the lenso muse and the 2nd are VL2 by Lenso (pulled them from a lenso mag site http://www.tyres.com/mags/mag_products.cfm?startrow=21&brand=Lenso ) and the 3rd one is an ROH Azzuro...

Okay, i'll have to look for a lenso supplier up here....

next question.... 16's or 17's (i think i know what you are goung to say...)

prob have to lower sooner or later too....

and is that all the info i need, i just say i want these 17's to fit a 95 BA 1.8 hatch and they get all the offstes and crap?

cheers

JynX
25-07-2003, 09:35 PM
Im running a set of 17s. No problems at stock ride height. Mal had them before me and he was 3" lower then stock and I believe he didnt scrub either. He will contradict me if reqd.

The rim is 7.5" wide running a 215/40 tyre.

submersiblepotato
26-07-2003, 12:22 PM
thanks,

Been to beaurepairs and bobjane and I think i've got bucklys of getting what i want for the price... closest i have found for the price are the ANZ Hirachi and revolution which will be around the $1800-$2200 mark for 17's and the Speedy wheels Holotype-R wich will be $1500 for the 16's and about $1700 for the 17's. The falken/yokohama tyres are around the $1000 mark in themselevs!!!!

Do you guys have any prefeances in the ANZ and Speedy range coz' it looks like they are my main options.....

Cheers,

Sub

submersiblepotato
27-07-2003, 11:55 AM
Oh yeah, jynx..... any chance of getting a picture of your car to see what the 17's look like at stock height????

cheers

Sub

astinasp
27-07-2003, 12:29 PM
Hey Sub,

I absolutely love the Speedy Hollowtype-R wheel, it is a nice clean design which would be easy to keep clean.

SehnKhan
27-07-2003, 01:53 PM
If speedy are in your budget try Speedy Atix 5's, they are very similar to the Lenso Muse wheels.

sik astina
27-07-2003, 05:10 PM
Oh yeah, jynx..... any chance of getting a picture of your car to see what the 17's look like at stock height????

cheers

Sub

hehehe stock height Jim hahaha :P :P

couldnt help myself man

-Mick

JynX
27-07-2003, 05:20 PM
Innocence is bliss eh mik... lol...

I dont have a good picture with the mags on, Im getting the rubber replaced on Wensday so I will take some more pics then for you.

joely
27-07-2003, 06:45 PM
Through my expericence getting wheels at places like bob jane were $500 more expensive for wheels & Rubber for 16's because most of their business is working under cars. Its better to go to a place that sells a lot of mags for they will have greater buying power. Not sure what you got up there but in sydney places like tempe tyres have far better tyre and wheel packages.

JynX
27-07-2003, 07:08 PM
Your assuming that Bob Jane is only one store... when you consider they are franchises and they entire bob jane chain encompases the whole of australia then thats a lot of buying power.

Best thing about BJs is that they will generally price match. So find you best deal, approach a reputable installer and ask em to match it. Most will.

Cosmo Dude
27-07-2003, 07:42 PM
Bob Jane,
Ex Aussie racing hero.
I bought my wheels from them and told'em that I wanted them for circuit racing (I was stupid enough to think they had relevent experience). First meeting the scrutineers took one look at my wheels and sent me packing.
I returned to the Bob Jane shop that sold 'em to me and the offered to sell me other wheels (not swap 'em) but wouldn't guarantee that CAMS would accept the new ones.
In my opinion Bobs boys don't know sh!t and only care for $$$. Best goto the local Mag center and get someone who will respect the customers wishes.

Another half-assed job from Bob.

I remember Calder

Rod

joely
27-07-2003, 08:39 PM
bob jane chain encompases the whole of australia then thats a lot of buying power
Thats why I went there to get a quote $2300 the first time, second time I go the guy tells me to go to blairs tyres because they do a better deal cause bob does mostly mechanical side of wheels & suspension and not sales of wheels which effects their buying power.
Maybe he was busy that day and decided to be a c*nt!

sell me other wheels (not swap 'em)
Thats gotta give anyone the hee-be-gee-beez!! its was their mistake too.

Cosmo Dude
27-07-2003, 09:13 PM
Yeah, the Bob shop is most likely a franchise, I don't care.
I can't afford to lose that sort of money!

I'm not the sort of person to vandalise the shop, I will share my Bob stories to anyone who will listen.

Rod

JynX
27-07-2003, 09:50 PM
Yeah I wouldnt ask them for advice... just too match the price :)

submersiblepotato
28-07-2003, 05:43 PM
Looks like I might have to go to a mag shop.... One of the reasons for the expensive rubber is that the astina has a higer load rating on the tyres (don't ask me why). Apparently most cars have a rating of 80 but the astina has 84 which means the walls of the tyres have to be re-inforced which means more $$$

What i'm getting at is that it will be hard to get some really sik mags for less than $200 each to meet my budget..

Anyhoo, I'll work something out.....

Cheers,

Sub

submersiblepotato
28-07-2003, 05:52 PM
I must have an older speedy flyer coz' there is no atix-5's in it. Had a look online (aus site was down, had 2 go to usa one) and they do look pretty nice, but it said suits 5 stud wheels..... I'll have to ask about them...

They are pretty nice..

Sub

JynX
30-07-2003, 10:00 AM
Sub,

Pick of the car at stock height with 17" rims.

http://www.focus.net.au/images/astina/afterfaulkens.jpg

Rubber is 215-40-R17 Faulken Ziex ZE512. Cost was $198 a corner + alignment($40) + nitrogen($20). On the cheaper end of the range but a good handling tyre for the price. Mal uses a similar tread on his car and has been happy with them.

Toyboy
30-07-2003, 11:16 AM
So when ya going 4WD'ing champ :lol: hehe couldnt help myself :P

JynX
30-07-2003, 11:19 AM
After you get your car off the ferry....

submersiblepotato
30-07-2003, 06:19 PM
Thanks for the pic jynx.....

looks fine from here mal.... I'll find out soon enough, getting the speedy holotype-r 17's on friday....... with falken rubber, whey will trade in my old steel rims and tyres too....

here comes fun !!!!

or debt...... Whatever....

cheers,

Sub

submersiblepotato
30-07-2003, 06:23 PM
PS I have to say that your car is VERY clean....

goodwork.... :lol:

Sub

JynX
30-07-2003, 07:53 PM
Honestly, I would try and keep the old tyres mate. They have been real handy having both sets especially when cash is short.

Just some friendly advice.

Rupewrecht
31-07-2003, 12:28 PM
i agree - they'll probably give you bugger all for your steelies anyway..

Cosmo Dude
31-07-2003, 08:12 PM
trade in my old steel rims and tyres too....

The dealership I bought my car from sells brand new 0 km'ish wheels to a wreckers for $5 bucks a pop. Used you may need to pay'em to take them away :cry:

Rod

bRaDiNhO
31-07-2003, 11:17 PM
Those places also do alot of copies... ie not name brands. I have a friend who got chrome 18's on his lancer which look pretty nice for about $1800 with (pretty average) rubber if i remember right. It was either Ozzy or Tempe.