PDA

View Full Version : Plugs & Leads for SP20

adelaidesp20
03-08-2003, 07:14 AM
Ha sanyone upgraded their plugs and leads for the SP20 as I'm coming up to my 50k service in the next 2 months and am interested in buying upgrades prior to service so Mazda can install these rather than factory items.

ezin
05-08-2003, 04:31 PM
I wouldn't touch them Man! There are only 2 tiny H/T leads going from the 2 coils siting right on 2 of the spark plugs (Return-Spark-System) & The resistance in them is tiny! I reckon U would be hard pressed 2 find Non-gen stuff thats better 4 hardly any benefit! Ive read the stuff on the earth-straps (More is better) but that wont work on this system cause the circuit returns to the coil, not through any strap!

On Dizzy Cars it might provide a bit more spark cause it does use the straps!

Just change ur plugs more + Index them!

ezin
05-08-2003, 04:59 PM
Sorry! it does uz the straps but not like a dizzy set-up! Just make sure all the earths have no corrosion on them find the earth for the ecu & then coat them in a good quality (Wurth) Battery terminal protectant! That should do the job very well! If not & U choose 2 do the earth straps the wires from the Power Transitor pack to the coils will still be the weak link! So there wont be any difference! Just cosmetic!

Aaron
07-08-2003, 03:52 PM
Ahhh but, and here's the but.....

A set of Magnecor leads may be cheaper than the factory leads ;) I know I paid $80ish (discounted/trade/mates rates) from the importer for the Magnecor 8.5 leads to replace the factory ones which were like $120 for the set ;)
These were not on a Mazda though, but similar short lead setup.

Magnecors will not make more power but do have better life and give a cleaner topend compared to new stockers in my experience.

ezin
07-08-2003, 05:54 PM
On some cars (older ones), New leads might be ok but i dont think you can go past anything made in Japan thats genuine! + im talking about replacing leads that have a total lenth of four inches! I cant see the money justification! I'd rather put a good set of plugs in + a octance additive!

Critter
08-08-2003, 10:13 AM
The talk elsewhere (in the U.S.) is that the NGK Iridium plugs are supposed to be good for 4hp at the wheels on an SP20.

They are expensive plugs tho'. I did have the part numbers for them, I'll root around and see what I can find.