PDA

View Full Version : 'Clonk' when turning

jordy
31-05-2007, 01:23 PM
My car has developed a clonk type sound when I turn which seems to be associated with the suspension.

I first noticed it when pulling into my Uni's carpark, seems to be when I turn and the suspension gets compressed on the left front. It also happens when I do something like take a roundabout quite fast, the body roll compresses the suspension enough to make it 'clonk'. This doesn't happen when I'm going straight and go over bumps, nor does it happen when I'm turning and I don't go over bumps. It's not a repeating 'clonk' either, it just does it once as the suspension travels past a certain point.

It's coming from the front left somewhere, but it sounds like it might be quite close to the middle, perhaps something to do with the steering rather than suspension. I also think I can feel it slightly through the steering wheel.

If I rock the steering wheel back and forth while the car is stationary it makes a similar sort of sound from the right wheel (possibly balljoint?, don't think it's related because it's from the other side), but if I try turning the front wheels by hand it wont do it. Wheel bearings seem fine also.

Where do you suggest I look for broken bits?

Oh, one last thing, I clipped a curb fairly hard a couple a months ago (moment of inattention entering a roundabout late at night), didn't seem to do any damage or put the alignment out ('clonk' has developed a few months after this happened), but it was on the side that seems to be making those noise.

Edit: Doesn't matter which way I turn, as long as the left front suspension is compressed past a certain point it will do it, going slow or otherwise.

bourbon
31-05-2007, 01:35 PM
sway bar links possibly...

jordy
31-05-2007, 02:41 PM
Everything I can reach in and grab behind the wheels seems fine. The noise sounds like it's coming from closer to the centre of the car than that...

Rupewrecht
31-05-2007, 02:54 PM
Strut tops?

bourbon
31-05-2007, 03:33 PM
most of the time while turnin if there is clunkin it is the sway bar link...take it to the mechanics to look at

jordy
31-05-2007, 05:48 PM
most of the time while turnin if there is clunkin it is the sway bar link...take it to the mechanics to look at

Don't wanna pay :P

Gotta at least see if I can figure this out first. I'll get her up on ramps in the weekend and have a poke around. I think whatever is making the noise will require a bit more force than whatever I can do while I'm lying under car though... tracking it down could be a tricky one.

Strut tops?

All the bolts are tight... can't see any issues there. Sounds like it's coming from down lower, at wheel level, but closer too the middle. Hmm, maybe it's gearbox mounts. I actually just remembered pulling away in first gear turning quite sharp the other day I got several clonks in a row as I got a little bit of tramp on some slippery roading.

mike_d87
31-05-2007, 05:57 PM
Strut tops have bearings in them, noise could be coming from the bearings

zappy65
31-05-2007, 08:06 PM
it could be your gear box mounts.....

89sp1.8
31-05-2007, 08:21 PM
yeah id say sway bar also..had broken mount and when ever turned hard or went over bump u could hear it bumping(clunk)

jordy
01-06-2007, 12:35 PM
When you say broken mount, do you mean the end mounts of the swaybar, right by the wheels?

bourbon
01-06-2007, 01:00 PM
yep thats the one...there 2 ball joints 1 each end and then a thin rod through the middle...

jordy
01-06-2007, 07:26 PM
Yeah I didn't think it had any mountings in the middle. Swaybar mounts are fine. haven't checked the gearbox yet though.

It went clonk when I pulled off the road today, I wasn't even turning :(

mill_mobile
05-07-2007, 07:05 PM
Any joys with this Jordy?
Sounds like my problem i have had ever since i have owned my Astina.
If you get it fixed/find what it is PLEASE let me know!
Ta
J

stewy
05-07-2007, 07:09 PM
i have the same problem,

what i have found i think mine is the strut tops. this is because when i turn the top doesnt spin correctly and it winds the spring up a little then the compression of the sring turns the strut tops.

well thats what i think my problem is it might be yours aswell.

stewart

mill_mobile
05-07-2007, 08:08 PM
i have the same problem,

what i have found i think mine is the strut tops. this is because when i turn the top doesnt spin correctly and it winds the spring up a little then the compression of the sring turns the strut tops.

well thats what i think my problem is it might be yours aswell.

stewart

I have had my struts looked at and 'apparently' they were fine!

stewy
06-07-2007, 07:42 PM
its easy to look for your self you just need two people.

jack the front of your car up and get someone to turn the steering wheel while you look at the spring. if it moves fine and the clonk isnt coming from the spring then it will be something else like the swaybar mounts.

jordy
07-07-2007, 11:01 PM
Oh, haven't had a chance to check this one out yet. Been flat out with uni exams, work, work, work and a little bit of boozing.

I think it actually might be suspension bushes or the inside bushes on the ball joint thingy. I should get a chance to track it down this week. I'll keep ya posted.