PDA

View Full Version : Mazda Astina V6

fate_n_destiny
15-08-2003, 12:53 PM
Hi, have just joined this forum because I love reading about cars (unusual especially when you are female).....anyway I need advice from you guys regading my car. I have been enquiring about getting a sports exhaust fitted and have been given different anwers by different people so I am a little confused. Midas said I can fit a 2 1/2" but another place has said that this would be too big for my vehicle and I should get just a 2" with cat-back. Can someone please explain what a cat back is.....all i want is a little power and a good sound but I'm confused as to what I really need for my vehicle.

ABC
15-08-2003, 01:35 PM
G'day, and welcome to the forum!

The more V6's the better I say :wink:

2 1/2" or 2 1/4" should be fine for the V6 - I've been told that it should be fine with my V6 and haven't been told its too big. Am planning to do this mod in the near future myself. Don't think a lot of people have done much exhaust work to V6's but might be wrong.

The Cat-Back exhaust is just from the Catalytic Converter out to the back end which will leave the standard headers out of each side of the block and the bit of piping down to just in front of the gear lever where the 'Cat' is. From the 'cat' back is where most of the restriction is and where the large portion of gains are to be made. Replacing the whole system would be quite expensive and whilst there would be extra gains from replacing the headers and exhaust piping it would be something like twice the price of the cat-back section for only half the gain (ish).

Other inexpensive options are the Cold Air Induction or CAI which a lot of people do - there are a couple of threads around somewhere....
How do you like your CAI? (http://www.astinagt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=996)
Canberra CAI Day (http://www.astinagt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=825)
Melbourne CAI Day (http://www.astinagt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=113)

Hope this helps!

KittyKatSmack
15-08-2003, 02:02 PM
Hiya fate_n_destiny and welcome to Astina GT.

The guys here are really good and will help you out with any questions you have about your car and doing work to it.

They have answered lots of dumb questions from me.

Tell us more about your car!
What year is it? What colour is it?
How long have you had it?
Do you have a picture?

It's so good to have some other girls joining the forums :D

The guys have beautiful cars and will have lots of solid advice for you.

Cheers and welcome aboard.

Oh, and don't mind the insanity around here, it's apparently not contagious! :wink:

fate_n_destiny
15-08-2003, 03:09 PM
Ok, it's a 1995 V6 Noble Green, the midnight blue colour. It is reaching 150K soon and I have had it since 1995. I don't have a picture of it but basically no modifications have been done to it (not yet).
Gears 3 & 4 are kinda weak and to date, I have been thinking of fitting a 2 1/2" cat back exhaust and have been quoted $250 for it. I heard that putting a sports air filter and extractors will also give it more power but being female, I tend to get scared i might get ripped off so any ideas on how to boost the performance of my vehicle is appreciated.

ABC
15-08-2003, 03:17 PM
Basically it looks the same as mine then! (without the boat though :wink: )

What do you mean by Gears 3 & 4 are kinda weak?
$250 is a fairly good price for a cat back exhaust.
Yeah, a K&N air filter (or similar) should give you a performance boost though extractors are a bit of a mixed bag **Queue Big Mal**.

Extractors will give you a power increase but only at higher revs at the detriment to the engine at lower revs. They'll also cost you twice as much because you have to get two sets!

fate_n_destiny
15-08-2003, 03:42 PM
Yes, mine looks exactly like yours....what i meant was that gears 3 & 4 are pretty sluggish when driving sometimes....so maybe just the exhaust and air filter for now....
Also does anyone know if you are able to change the lights when the odometer is...green looks ugly so i was thinking maybe blue?

Rupewrecht
15-08-2003, 03:46 PM
Also does anyone know if you are able to change the lights when the odometer is...green looks ugly so i was thinking maybe blue?

hey, welcome :)

nope, as the backing of the dial is green :(

BUT i can make custom colored dials for you - see here (http://astinagt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=786) :)