PDA

View Full Version : Import Turbo Engine

Harry
17-08-2003, 02:20 PM
I have a 2001 Astina SP20

Does anyone know if someone in Oz imports the Turbo'ed FS Protoge5 engines that are used in the US?

Is this the best way to go about a turbo conversion for this car?

Can you just add a turbo to a non turboed/this engine?

Andrew

dfvadr
17-08-2003, 08:03 PM
most fours today r running relatively low compression an the bore an stroke combination bearing specs piston rings r designed to take a little more presure then they r aloud du to emission controls an government laws as to power to weight ratio
my imfo so far as to turboing that car has come up with no higher then 8pound boost an not redlining it everywhere you wont hurt it
fmic u could increase it to 12 pound but realy no ones has long time proof as these cars are new an turboing is few an far between hope this helps you

Harry
17-08-2003, 08:34 PM
surely they are running something remotely similar to the FS engines used here? I know they use a Garrent T25 Turbo and the engine is spec'ed millimeters from the Oz one:

US -> 3.26 x 3.62 (82.804 x 91.948)
Oz -> 83 x 92

I am guessing that they (Maybe) have stronger pistons/rings?

Andrew

Rupewrecht
18-08-2003, 11:35 AM
a T25 usually isnt that big, and the motor would be pretty much identical to the one here (as only a limited number of the Mazdaspeed MP3 turbo ones came out there)

your best bet is to go and see comeone about doing a custom kit for your car.

Harry
18-08-2003, 10:13 PM
OK, now this is where I am confused. I am guessing you mean taking a turbo and adding that to my existing engine?

If so, I have asked a few people who have said that if you dont go down the imported, existing engine/turbo combination then you have to get your car EPA tested which costs about $5k, plus the cost of the turbo ($10k?).

Andrew

Cosmo Dude
18-08-2003, 10:26 PM
What state are you in?

Beside a state of confusion :lol:

Harry
18-08-2003, 10:30 PM
:lol: :-P I am in Vic (Melb).

TURBO MAZDA
19-08-2003, 12:59 AM
Epa testing is free !!!!

I should no , i had my car tested about 15 times, befor i put the standard computer, injector and exaust to get the car to pass, then put it all back on .

pr1mo
19-08-2003, 10:20 AM
harry,
you might wanna pop along to the melb mini meet which is (hopefully) happening this weekend. we have a bigger cruise/weekend event happening in october.

cheers mike

Harry
19-08-2003, 10:27 AM
Definately. I will check out the details and hopefully see everyone there.

Not sure if my car will be Yellow or Black. Depends if I get time to clean it:-)

Rupewrecht
19-08-2003, 10:44 AM
OK, now this is where I am confused. I am guessing you mean taking a turbo and adding that to my existing engine?

pretty much! It would be a lot cheaper than importing a Mazdaspeed MP3 engine - which because of their rarity you'd have to buy from mazda new - even IF you could buy one. I'd imagine anybody turbocharging the SP20 would be working on the existing engine as there is no turbocharged variant (apart from the limited Mazdaspeed one, which doesnt count)

If so, I have asked a few people who have said that if you dont go down the imported, existing engine/turbo combination then you have to get your car EPA tested which costs about $5k, plus the cost of the turbo ($10k?).

you don't have to, but legality is nice ;)

it shouldn't cost you $10k, providing you only want a low boost setup.

Harry
19-08-2003, 10:54 AM
When you say low boost (You are speaking to the mechanically challenged here...scarry huh:-)) you class the T25 then WOW, because the Mazda USA site claims 170hp (roughly 130Kw) from it so I will gladly settle for low boost.

"To deliver performance, the MAZDASPEED Protegé features a Garrett T25 turbocharger, co-engineered by Mazda and Callaway Cars. This state-of-the-art turbocharger incorporates the latest in aerodynamic and ball-bearing technology and features an air-to-air intercooler to reduce intake air temperature and increase air density, enabling the 2.0-liter DOHC 16-valve, 4-cylinder engine to crank out 170 hp and 160 lb-ft of torque.

Because the MAZDASPEED Protegé is fully engineered to accommodate the integrated turbocharger, fuel, intake and exhaust systems have been modified to provide optimal performance. The MAZDASPEED Protegé uses a unique Powertrain Control Module and special spark plugs and fuel injectors. And we've altered the emission control components to ensure the MAZDASPEED Protegé remains exhaust emissions-compliant "

Just as and aside, could you break the $10k down into part/labour?

Andrew

Rupewrecht
19-08-2003, 12:03 PM
well, an extra 30kw i only consider low boost :)
By 'low boost' i guess i was meaning about 7psi or thereabouts.

Ok,for 10k you'd get...well, what you'd need is:

• A turbo, say the T25
• a new exhaust manifold, to mount the turbo onto
• A front mounted intercooler + necessary piping to run from the actual cooler to the turbo and to the throttle body
• some form of engine management, be it a stand-alone computer or a piggy-back type (a chip) that keeps the original ECU (1)
• a new exhaust, to get rid of the spend gasses, something like 2.5 inch all the way
• a decompression plate to lower your compression ratio to make the engine cope with the boost without stressing it too much (2)

(1) this would also control a 5th injector, needed to supply the extra fuel that would be needed by your engine. OR get larger injectors in place of your current ones
(2) the decompression plate is a bit of a cheats way to reduce compression. The better option would be open up your engine and install new pistons (to lower the compression) and strengthen the internals, but thats big dollars there.

Dont take this as gospel by any means, just a rough guide i guess :)

as to price, well it all depends who does the work ;)

• turbo - new $1500, 2nd hand $700
• new exhaust manifold - $600
• front mounted intercooler - $1200
• engine management - $1000-$1700
• new exhaust - $1000
• decompression plate - honestly no idea but i'd be guessing $500
• new injectors - $600 probably used
• installation - $2000
• tuning - $500
= $8500 but that's a pretty general estimate

A least it'll give you a rough guide as to what's expected

cheers
Dan

Harry
19-08-2003, 03:48 PM
Chatting with :kar10w I found this http://www.flyinmiata.com/store/prodinfo.asp?number=01-7P000&variation=&aitem=1&mitem=1

Andrew

Rupewrecht
19-08-2003, 04:05 PM
well, there you go - i only missed a few things lol

but i'm not sure if there's any engine bay differences between the LHD and RHD models- so just be careful of that :)