PDA

View Full Version : If it ain't 'broke', don't fix it?

Smikey
01-08-2007, 02:18 PM
Hey guys/girls,
I've had my car for more than 3 years now, and one thing has always bugged me. That the previous owner didn't tell me that to achieve the ride height he wanted, he chopped the springs and welded them to the top of the strut? I don't know much about what this means, except that it becomes dangerous if those welds fail and the whole thing comes undone whilst driving.

I'm at a point now where it's time for some peace of mind, unless i'm told otherwise, to change the springs, or change the whole lot. It's not like anything feels wrong with the way the car handles, and it's not 'broke' (so i haven't been forced to fix it. I just want it to look the same, and give me the feeling that something won't just break.

So the main question, I like my ride height (more than 50mm i think), apparently super lows are a little high for my liking. Does this mean i need some kind of adjustable coilover? And when it comes to shocks, when something like Rupe's trade notice of mazdaspeed 5 year old shocks come up, are these comparative to say a new set of KYB's with tein springs / whiteline package (minus strut bars, just the shocks and springs) etc.

Bear
01-08-2007, 08:02 PM
if the welds fail while you're driving along, you'll just be like every other git out there with a set of seriously low springs that hasn't put in new shortened shock absorbers ... so, no ... you aren't likely to have a disastrous failure ... at least not until you hit a bump hard enough for the springs to come loose ... not as easy as you think

in the meantime, the question of whether you want the new or the old really boils down to the pros and cons ... but i'd say PM Rupe and have a chat to him ... he knows his sh!t

Smikey
02-08-2007, 09:14 AM
Thanks for the info Bear, gives me a little peace of mind and a little more time to make the best choice.

Bear
02-08-2007, 06:27 PM
always happy to help

Rupewrecht
02-08-2007, 06:39 PM
And that's why he's bidding on the MS shocks now heheh

Bear
02-08-2007, 08:25 PM
hehe nice ... props where they're deserved :)

rodhog
03-08-2007, 03:18 AM
yeah on top of what has been said
the KYB's I sound out from one guy said that model should be rebuilable - apparently - not positive but they rebuild them using koni etc type inserts parts.

but at sfor your ride higght - not uncomon - old trick - I've gone but not ot the length of welding them to the strut top. hell we evneo too kthem right out on the gemini and bounce on bump stops and even did the welded on point coil - might be why I have back problems LOL

but yeah only other way I can think of is - Custom spring made by either Jumbo's in Liverpool or K-macs in rockdale. with I'd say a custm shock if you wanted it right or - if you cna fine one to fit a shortend strut but possibly not but 50mm drop is quite alot. only shock ot take it would be a afftermarket and good valving.
heopfully you get ther MS ones

Smikey
03-08-2007, 08:29 AM
Thanks guys, lets hope the bidding goes my way, or anybody else on this forum for that matter... but preferably mine =)

If the car looks a little high i'll just get some thicker tyres haha