PDA

View Full Version : Weird sound while turning

Dingo_hunter
17-08-2007, 11:50 PM
Leaving work yesterday i noticed that when i turn hard right or left i can hear from my drivers side front wheel a wierd clicking or clacking sound.. like when i turn slowly out of the drive and start to accelerate and straighten. It only seems to happen when its a hard turn, not so much on a round about. I think the sound also goes away when the engine is warm, but im not 100% sure on it.

Any ideas to what this sound is?

RustyKaos
18-08-2007, 06:07 AM
Sounds like it could be the CV joints.

project.r.racing
18-08-2007, 07:04 AM
yup CVs

RedLineResident
18-08-2007, 11:47 AM
Cant thinog anything else. it is just the one side thats making noise?

Plutonus
18-08-2007, 11:50 AM
Definitely sounds like CVs, just the way the mechanic described the symptoms to me ;)

jordy
19-08-2007, 10:03 PM
Check the boots, if it's come on quick they might be cracked and all the grease might've been thrown out. I'd say you'd be too late to get away without replacing it though.

LIL-JET
23-08-2007, 03:56 PM
could be ur strut tower...check the rubber that sits ontop of ur tower..mine was worn n it was only one side it would make a noise everytym i would turn right, I changed it and got it fixed for 180 it was the whole right front suspension tower though not just the rubber.

RedLineResident
23-08-2007, 04:29 PM
Springs sometimes don't sit on their rubbers properly and make noise but thats a random popping sound. Yours definatelly sounds like a CV. jack the car up, full lock the wheel, grap the driveshaft either side of the CV with either hand and see if you can feel if its loose. That should be a dead give away.

Also inspect if the boot is ripped or gone, that should be another give away. CV's usually only go in the absence of the lubricatoin which the boot keeps in side the joint. Mine has a couple splits in it but im too lazy to do anything about it. Will come back to bite me on the arse tho.

LIL-JET
23-08-2007, 04:36 PM
[QUOTE=RedLineResident;141506]Springs sometimes don't sit on their rubbers properly and make noise but thats a random popping sound. [QUOTE]

mine was making this clunk clunk noise everytym i would turn maybe not the noise hes got but thats interesting bout the CV joints lol maybe i dont hear mine coz ma systems always cranked:D

RedLineResident
23-08-2007, 04:45 PM
If they make noise when you are going sraigh then you well and trully have problems. The initial stages only make noise when at full lock. It gradually gets worse and worse. The frequency of the knocks depends on the speed. If you're in a hurry and doing a quick u-turn with bad CV's its like rapid fire. Not a pleasant sound.

FEM
27-08-2007, 06:11 PM
ahhhhhh!

i had the same problem when i bought the car off ryan.. it clicked a tiny bit, nothing serious.. didnt think to much of it, well didnt know what it was to be honest.

about 3000km later.. went round a corner in 2nd.. not giving it much, spooled up a bit and BANG, a much larger click happened, soon to turn into a knock that could be felt through the seat..

about 50km later... the whole CV gave way.. it was a tow job. i suggest to fix it asap before it gets worse and causes you more and more pain..

LYNX
27-08-2007, 07:02 PM
sounds like cv's for sure i had that problem on old bg