AstinaGT Forums

AstinaGT Forums (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Audio Hi-fi (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   HOW To Remove 1999 BJ Head Unit(Radio) (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12825)

tzenlip 03-10-2008 10:08 PM

HOW To Remove 1999 BJ Head Unit(Radio)

Please Help , I've been struggling with this, cant find any related info for this car

http://liveimages.redbook.com.au/red...c/MAZD0060.jpg

anyone had experience removing this radio?

and where is the best place to look for harness?

any info will be appreciated !

cheers

70NYD 04-10-2008 02:02 AM

im sure that someone here will give PROPER instructions, but 1st time i did a double din removal i ripped out the thing under the radio just by force... after that the retaining clips on both sides could be accesed very easily.. im sure that there is a proper way of doing this, n if anyone else tells you anything different please try that 1st n my way as a last resort cus u MAY damage somethng when you try to rip it out...
best of luck either way mate...
oh and welcome to AGT :)

________________EDIT______________________
ooh i just looked at the picture better
here is a better way

remove the two little plates on either end of the radio
behind you shoud see some holes about 2 - 3 on each side. this is the Ford/Mazda standard radio retaining mechanism. safest way is to go to a local auto shop, like autobarn, and get the ford removal tool for radios.. it looks like a U and there are two per pacage. you only need one pacage since its a single-din take the tool n stick it in the holes they match up to n push all the way in n the radio should pop out...
alternatively just take a very stiff coathanger. make sure its almost the same size as the holes. cut it and bend it to suit.. n use it as the ford tool same in the end jst leting u know that softer hangers wont work. ul need some of those solid metal ones that are thick, not those plastic coated ones that have like a 1mm diameter wire inside :p
best of luck
oh and where you buy the tool there must be harnesses. try northfeild, stratfield, autobarn, supercheap.. im sorry but i dont knowwhats there iin melbourne but thats what we have here :)
hope this helped at least a little :)

tzenlip 04-10-2008 08:40 AM

thanks for your help!

the problem is i couldnt remove the 2 little plates on either end of the radio
it is a piece of solid joined face..cant see any holes too :(

i'm thinking that i should remove the box below? and then start from there..

any more sugguestions?

Ripper323 04-10-2008 09:48 AM

It's been a while since I've had a standard headunit in my car, but I'm pretty sure you need to take the pocket out from underneath the headunit, and then you should be able to take the factory head unit out. The pocket should just pull out I think.

70NYD 04-10-2008 03:22 PM

so the way i did it the 1st time was correct??? wow thats a 1st :p

rambo 04-10-2008 03:26 PM

Use a credit card to pop off the little plastic pieces on the sides of the radio. Behind them you will notice slots you need to insert either a radio removal tool into (or a bent metal coat hanger). Once you push the removal tool in to the slots you should be able to remove the unit. If you do not have the right tools it requires a little bit of fiddling with. If you have the radio removal tools it comes off almost instantly.

EDIT: Just noticed 70NYD's post, what he said :p

tzenlip 04-10-2008 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rambo (Post 176211)
Use a credit card to pop off the little plastic pieces on the sides of the radio. Behind them you will notice slots you need to insert either a radio removal tool into (or a bent metal coat hanger). Once you push the removal tool in to the slots you should be able to remove the unit. If you do not have the right tools it requires a little bit of fiddling with. If you have the radio removal tools it comes off almost instantly.

EDIT: Just noticed 70NYD's post, what he said :p

you guys were right , appologize for confusion , the both ends can be pop! and i did my self a key by cutting coat hanger, and out it goes!

all information appriciated!

unfortunatly cant find my self a harness from ( autobahn , supercheap nor JB)

last resort would be cutting and joinin to the new headunit :(

70NYD 04-10-2008 11:25 PM

there are ryda wiring kits available on the net
thre are a few threads in this section about that :)

DavoAust 04-10-2008 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tzenlip (Post 176217)
you guys were right , appologize for confusion , the both ends can be pop! and i did my self a key by cutting coat hanger, and out it goes!

all information appriciated!

unfortunatly cant find my self a harness from ( autobahn , supercheap nor JB)

last resort would be cutting and joinin to the new headunit :(

avoid cutting wires at all costs. it only screws it up in the long term unless you do a very neat and well labelled job

rambo 05-10-2008 12:48 AM

Screws it up? All my head units have been wired in that way, and I have never had any issues. Cut, match, solder and tape. If your just twisting and taping I can see there being an issue, but if you do it properly you will have secure connections.

70NYD 05-10-2008 11:31 AM

hehe i allways just twist and tape :p never had a issue cus i still do it carefully not just .5 of a cm ow wire exposed but 2cm of wire on each side at least expose then twist it together then fold n repeat ;) using those clear or white wire joining things that have a screw works really good to for a quick job if you want the flexibility of undoing it at any time :)

tzenlip 05-10-2008 08:37 PM

finally! all done

had been running around all day, fuel meter went down :( but worth the effort.

i took a bet and bought this:

http://www.aerpro.com.au/list.php?pc...no=10&cat_sno=

unable to find one for mazda 323 even I've visited numerous autobarn, jbhifi and supercheap!

until i found this from repco ! one in a million that i found this, the socket is exactly what i was looking for , except for the ISO connection end.

bought it and cut off the ISO part, twist and join .. hula.. finally all working!

what i used for installation were multitool, wire stripper and wire wrapping tape.

thanks for all information!

70NYD 05-10-2008 11:28 PM

piccies please :)
good going on the ford part mate very good find :)

marcs_sp20 05-10-2008 11:41 PM

If Only i knew that when I did mine over 2 years ago :(. Oh wells...

Pics mate!

tzenlip 06-10-2008 07:07 PM

will post up some photos soon ;)

tzenlip 07-10-2008 09:36 AM

Alpine CDA 9887

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/4...8152uq3.th.jpghttp://img243.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif

Alpine CDA 9887 ;)

70NYD 07-10-2008 12:20 PM

mmmmmmmm-mmm looking sexcie :)

harryboo 12-03-2013 02:58 PM

help

help me i have the same problem with my stereo but i cant get it out ! its the exact one as the photo at the top of the thread :confused:
:)