AstinaGT Forums

AstinaGT Forums (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Automotive Talk (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Random Question thread.. (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12492)

Putonyourshoes 10-08-2008 08:24 PM

Random Question thread..

saw this somewhere else and thought it was a good idea, because i often have questions that i feel dont deserve their own thread but i still want to ask..
please feel free to delete this if you think its a waste of space...

anyways my 1st question..
im thinking of redoing all my suspension so that when i go to the track i can be real quick and flat through the corners.. but my worry is that i will have to go stupidly fast to get it loose in the skid pan? are my worries justified or is it just a matter of undoing the front sway bar and off i go?
cheers

project.r.racing 10-08-2008 09:45 PM

if its a skid pan, then a hand break is all you need to get your car loose. the suspension won't stop that. you don't need to undo the front sway bar.

ryan

Putonyourshoes 10-08-2008 10:01 PM

yeah but at the moment all i need to do if lift off and i get a nice little bit of oversteer.
do you use a hydraulic handbrake?

project.r.racing 10-08-2008 10:04 PM

nope i use the normal hand brake.

if you stiffen up the suspension, the lift off oversteer will only increase.

70NYD 10-08-2008 10:10 PM

ye especially if by stiffening suspesion you shorten the vertical travel :p

hks_kansei 10-08-2008 10:23 PM

skidpans are soo fun.

I'm doing a motorkhana at deca in October............. assuming my car survives Winton in September.

Putonyourshoes 11-08-2008 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by project.r.racing (Post 172272)
nope i use the normal hand brake.

if you stiffen up the suspension, the lift off oversteer will only increase.

ahhhh thats what i was after. cheers mate.
for some reason i thought stiffening up the suspension would make the weight shift less, which in turn kept it planted. cheers mate:)

phly 14-08-2008 08:27 PM

ive got a random quick question

do i need a wheel alignment after installing any of the following
- rear sway bar
- front/rear strut brace
- new clutch and flywheel

if i dont need wheel alignments after installing these i think ill do them one by one to try feel the difference, otherwise theyre all going in at the same time to save some wheel alignment money LOL

Putonyourshoes 14-08-2008 09:03 PM

i didnt get one done for sway bar/ strut braces or new clutch and when i finally got one done after putting new wheels on they said it was pretty close to perfect so no. i dont think so:)

project.r.racing 14-08-2008 09:11 PM

- rear sway bar no
- front/rear strut braceno, unless installed weird
- new clutch and flywheelyes, but not urgent

phly 14-08-2008 09:36 PM

thanks for the quick info guys
looking forward to picking up these mods

Putonyourshoes 15-08-2008 12:49 PM

this is a massive longshot.. but are the mazda 3 and astina coilovers similar enough to fit lol

bourbon 15-08-2008 02:43 PM

im sorry but why not just buy astina coil overs??? alot easier...

Cosmo Dude 15-08-2008 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Putonyourshoes (Post 172735)
this is a massive longshot.. but are the mazda 3 and astina coilovers similar enough to fit lol

No. The Mazda 3 rear suspension is a very different design. The springs don't mount to the shocks they sit more inboard (similar to the Mazda 6).

Putonyourshoes 15-08-2008 04:54 PM

hahaha yeahh i thought so. thanks guys:)
yeaah im looking for some but i cant afford to dish out the cash for brand new ones:(

bourbon 15-08-2008 08:45 PM

and mazda 3 ones would be any cheaper??? anythin you get cheap that involves coilovers is luck...most likely if their cheap its for a reason, be it there rooted or they need a rebuild...

LordWorm 15-08-2008 10:16 PM

Car wont start.... thought it was starter related (thought might have chewed pinion gear or something)...pulled out starter, starter = fine. Works fine when provided with 12v when outside of the car (throws the pinion out, spins the gear). Teeth are all fine. When back in the car, just get a "click" then the noise of the starter spinning.....no engagement with ring gear by the sounds....

Given that the starter is 100% aok....do you reckon chewed up ring gear? I have run out of ideas.

Plutonus 16-08-2008 11:03 AM

I have one!

Why do car manufacturers choose one bulb type of another? Like our astina's had H3 and H1, then later on they switched to both H1. Is there any advantage to the different types? Obviously H4 is so they only need one bulb.

Putonyourshoes 17-08-2008 07:44 PM

sorry pluto cant help you there:)
but..
how comfortable are eibachs?
and what the hell are the backetball looking things for on powerlines?

Plutonus 17-08-2008 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Putonyourshoes (Post 172832)
sorry pluto cant help you there:)
but..
how comfortable are eibachs?

I've seen a few people say they are the best compromise between handling and comfort... but they're the only ones besides stock I've had so I wouldn't know :p . They aren't that harsh, and it only took me like a couple of days to get used to the difference.