AstinaGT Forums

AstinaGT Forums (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Your Rides/Project Worklog (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Cosmo's BA Hatch (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14253)

Cosmo Dude 04-05-2009 07:14 PM

Cosmo's BA Hatch

Well as most of you know about six months ago, in a moment of madness, I bought a BA Hatch that had been beautifying Rupewrechts front garden for some time. It's probably time I shared the Journey :rolleyes:

For now the thread will need to happen without pics. I know how to add them and I know places to host them however just for now I CBF, get over it :p

As you can see it's been sitting with the only front panel being the bonnet, under a tree collecting foliage. The front is a little twisted to the left but the rest of the body is straight and in very good condition.
Rupewrecht had installed the radiator and had the engine running which was good, it runs well and has only 202,000km which is low for a 14 year old car.

On the day of delivery I turned up with some basic tools and an unregistered vehicle permit. We rustled the front guards and bumper onto the beast before realising that only the left headlight was going to fit if I wanted to close the bonnet, plugged in as many lamps as we could, wiped the screen and I was off home (all the way from one end of Eastlink to the other, no plates, no charge :D :p )

Once home, and after a thorough wash (the car not me) I started on the mechanicals. I found that after front end bump(s) that the water pipe that runs from the water pump to the heater (behind the exhaust manifold) had developed a small leak as had the top radiator hose so I dutifully replaced both as well as the lower hose. The next step was to replace some of the tired old ignition parts and on doing so I found a) If you want a rotor button go to Repco and get a Champion one. and b) Due to the frontal impact the rear distributor bolt had snapped and I couldn't remove it :(
Given up on the distributer I visited Mazda and purchased a valve cover gasket which once installed required another visit to the car wash.

Next it was off to the panel shop to be straightened, painted and re-assembled. After a few weeks I visited to find that the top of the front was out by 15mm and the bottom 25mm. It was there for another week(ish) before I got my hands back on it. I also had the Type R skirts and Yours Sports rear spoiler painted.

Back home now and attention shifted to getting the beast road worthy and putting in place all the bits forward of the radiator...

too be continued

Cosmo Dude 05-05-2009 06:19 PM

Lots of nice pics added and more of the story to be added.

rodhog 05-05-2009 08:58 PM

I can see a list of options needing to be filled LOL

Dogo 06-05-2009 07:24 AM

Good on ya Rod - I'm very glad to see an Astina being restored.

mussing 06-05-2009 10:40 AM

Agreed, it's kinda sad every time one of these unique beauties is crashed or wrecked for parts - it's nice to see one being put one back into the world.

Cosmo Dude 06-05-2009 04:57 PM

Pic of a test fit of the Yours Sports rear spoiler.

project.r.racing 06-05-2009 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmo Dude (Post 194830)
Pic of a test fit of the Yours Sports rear spoiler.

i think that works. :D

Cosmo Dude 06-05-2009 06:02 PM

It'll sit a little more proud when installed however it does tend to restrict rear vision. It won't be perminant before registration :D

Rupewrecht 06-05-2009 07:16 PM

Love it.

Dogo 07-05-2009 08:10 AM

Looks like you can go skateboarding on it :)

DavoAust 07-05-2009 09:20 AM

haha dogo. do you have a shot down the car?

Cosmo Dude 07-05-2009 05:44 PM

I think you meen me. Unless Dogo has a strange habit of sneeking around taking pictures of other peoples cars. LOL

I do but by the time I've gotten around to taking them it's dark and dark cars don't photograph well at night.

Cosmo Dude 18-05-2009 06:29 PM

Just thought I'd share my RWC pain.

Some of this is more VIVS than RWC, some is petty crap and some realistic issues. I have plans (and lots of parts) to do a 5-stud upgrade so I didn't realy want to buy tyres or replace brake pads that were going to be replaced anyway.
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/2325/roadie.jpg

project.r.racing 18-05-2009 06:47 PM

thats a huge shopping list. good luck with it all.

-dc- 19-05-2009 06:30 PM

wow, lots to do! great to see the rebuild tho, should come up as a nice car:)

Cosmo Dude 11-06-2009 05:42 PM

I've been tinkering with the tacho :)
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/1443/12gu.jpg
I'm using a spare guage cluster so don't worry about the 180km speedo.

mrpayner 11-06-2009 08:58 PM

HAHA, 12000RPM.. That's, erm.... optimistic!

I really like that spoiler too.. Nicely done.

Rupewrecht 11-06-2009 09:50 PM

Hah that ended up fitting quite well. Interesting! How'd the depth go though?

rodhog 11-06-2009 10:06 PM

I saw one of them guages recenlty fitted into a S6 Rx-7 it looked okay but for some reason it looks better in the Ba cluster.

marcs_sp20 11-06-2009 10:14 PM

I too was thinking what the tach was out of, then clicked it'd have to be rotor for sure!

Looks very original yet looks like it should have been there in the first place ;)

Did you end up fixing all the niggly things for roadworthy?