AstinaGT Forums

AstinaGT Forums (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Performance & General Maintenance (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Cracked Block - So What now?? (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18414)

Rabz_Rox 25-09-2011 07:25 PM

Cracked Block - So What now??

I purchased a stock 2002 Mazda 323 Hatch. I loved the look of it and have always wanted to work it!!!

Got it some new shoes and an awesome note with a Hotdog muffler. The sound absolutely rips. My next stop was a body kit and then start on the motor...

But I have now cracked the block and its running on about 2 cylinders.

So what are my options?
I really want to get a rebuilt engine with a turbo. There are a lot of people claiming you can get greater than 300HP at the wheels from 22 PSI. I love the sound of this but whats it gonna cost?

I'm in Melbourne and really need a good reliable place that I can go who know their stuff and have good contacts and dont want to rip you off!!!!

Anyone got some suggestions?

LTN000 25-09-2011 07:28 PM

your gonna need a pretty tough engine and box to handle 22psi and a fair bit of money!

marcs_sp20 25-09-2011 08:53 PM

Figure in $10,000 just to be safe ;)

phildough 25-09-2011 09:15 PM

I looked into doing this when I destroyed the engine in my car earlier this year.
I ended up going for the FS-ZE out of the JDM Familia due to cost of everything involved in turboing your car.
Is your car a 1.6, a 1.8 or 2.0 as there are quite a few subtle differences between the three.
I would say that $10k-$15k would be your budget to turbo your car properly.
But being in melbourne I dont think your are allowed to fit a turbo to your car if it wasn't a manufacturers option and you cant use after market ecus?
Some one will corrrect me on this if im wrong:D
Here in Qld almost anything goes.

smurfy 25-09-2011 09:21 PM

niceboy put a custom turbo kit on his, think it costed him about 7k+ hes actually in melbourne too

Ice88 25-09-2011 10:38 PM

For 22psi+ from the top of my head you will need:
WRX 440cc Injectors (At least most likely 550cc)
Low compression pistons
Aftermarket rods
Turbo - T3?
FMIC
Clutch/Pressure Plate
Aftermarket Fuel Pump
Piping

Plus a whole lot of other stuff that I'm missing. Best off reading mazdas247 for your answers I honestly play no attention to the turbo lads over there.

chewyryce 26-09-2011 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phildough (Post 271833)
I looked into doing this when I destroyed the engine in my car earlier this year.
I ended up going for the FS-ZE out of the JDM Familia due to cost of everything involved in turboing your car.
Is your car a 1.6, a 1.8 or 2.0 as there are quite a few subtle differences between the three.
I would say that $10k-$15k would be your budget to turbo your car properly.
But being in melbourne I dont think your are allowed to fit a turbo to your car if it wasn't a manufacturers option and you cant use after market ecus?
Some one will corrrect me on this if im wrong:D
Here in Qld almost anything goes.

lol when i saw the title i knew you would mention the FS-ZE. you have yet to take me for a spin in it but i can wait till its properly tuned.

Clean_Cookie 26-09-2011 09:46 AM

Who wouldn't when it cost Phil like $500 lol!

Rabz_Rox 26-09-2011 10:04 AM

My car is a 1.8. Had seen a motor on here for $3800 in Melbourne with all the extra gear required. It was suppose to just bolt in but we all know what that means!! Being a front wheel drive car, I'd be concerned that I would spend the rest of my life at the lights with my wheels spinning and not going anywhere!!! Best I rob a bank and junk it I think!!

Rabz_Rox 26-09-2011 10:06 AM

By the way. Anything goes in Melbourne... Until you get pulled over!!! We are the nanny state here. We can get booked for accelerating too fast!!

mikey_something 26-09-2011 10:27 AM

Excessive acceleration is the most bull**** charge. It's a speed limit, I got to it very quickly and stopped. You're Gunna fine me for it.
Why don't you put a ms^-2 sign at every light and then I'll accept I did something wrong.
On topic, ice88 also forgot ECU + tune. Easy another 1.5 - 2k in that

smurfy 26-09-2011 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabz_Rox (Post 271847)
By the way. Anything goes in Melbourne... Until you get pulled over!!! We are the nanny state here. We can get booked for accelerating too fast!!

the only reason you would get booked for accelerating too fast is if you did a burnout when you took off or if its looking like your racing someone.

heres niceboy's car, hes on astinagt too but never made a project worklog for it...

http://www.ozmazdaclub.com/my-rides/...184kw-atw.html

and dappas, dont really have any info on it thoughh.
http://www.astinagt.com/forums/vbpic...?do=view&g=611

phildough 26-09-2011 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chewyryce (Post 271843)
lol when i saw the title i knew you would mention the FS-ZE.

I mentioned it as I have already been down the road of what to do to with a stuffed engine this year.
But if turboing is what the OP is after dont think of using a FS-ZE as the compression is way to high and costs will sky rocket.
But if your after a mild power boost and a nice increase in driveability seriously consider the FS-ZE as I am really happy with my results so far.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chewyryce (Post 271843)
you have yet to take me for a spin in it but i can wait till its properly tuned.

Hopefully if all goes well it shall be done this week.

I will mention I have a F series block here but I dont think its worth shipping it that far.

Rabz_Rox 26-09-2011 11:15 AM

Shipping costs are generally under $200, which is not really that bad. Problem is I am probably just after something I can't have. Dropping a turbo in a front wheel drive is almost a waste as you cant ramp it up that much. The FS-ZE is certainly an option, but what's the fit like? I really dont want to redesign the whole engine mount for a little power.

Rabz_Rox 26-09-2011 11:20 AM

Hey Phil, is that a 2.0 motor or a 1.8?

It looks exactly like my car (except the colour). Nice to see I'm not completely nuts for trying to pimp my ride!!! When I started looking into this I expected a whole bunch of people telling me I was an idiot for bothering to do this to a BJ!!!!

marcs_sp20 26-09-2011 11:27 AM

Phils is a 2.0L, and it retains the standard mounts etc to work

Rabz_Rox 26-09-2011 11:46 AM

Anyone have any thoughts on an FS-DET? Very similar to Phil's ZE except it is basically the FS-DE with a turbocharger. Produces the same HP but with a sharper torque curve.

marcs_sp20 26-09-2011 11:55 AM

None of the adm bj's were turbo'd, so it'd still have to be all custom, otherwise you could buy all the necessary hardware from the states and go from there.

phildough 26-09-2011 12:48 PM

The FS-ZE is a bolt in fit and I know for sure that the 1.8 ECU runs it with no problems, I cant answer the question of how a FS-DE ECU would run a FS-ZE but im sure it would do a better job than my 1.8 ECU.

DavoAust 26-09-2011 03:13 PM

What would you do with 300whp in a FWD thats not designed for that? Wheel spin & torque steer =/

If you want big power, get a RWD or even AWD. I'd go either N/A build with cams/ecu or boost it with a smallish turbo to keep it wickedly responsive. The FS-ZE with a good tune (Microtech/Emanage?), free flowing exhaust & intake looks like good fun.