AstinaGT Forums

AstinaGT Forums (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction & Engine Conversions (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   ECU's For BPT GTX (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11652)

OZY-323 08-04-2008 09:28 AM

ECU's For BPT GTX

Hey
just a question surrounding ECU's what one would best suit the BPT?
i've read around and seen most peoples cars and am surprised at how everyone's is different?

Oz

Aaron 08-04-2008 09:36 AM

Do you mean aftermarket or OEM?

If OEM the choice is a Japanese spec BP26 ecu as it makes a little more power compared to the Aussie spec TX3 ECU..

If aftermarket, you want what you can get tuned locally, but it's all a bit like a holy war ;)

A.

Rupewrecht 08-04-2008 09:40 AM

** thread moved **

There's no best one. Most aftermarket ECUs are much the same these days. It's really all about the tuner you use is familiar with, and the ECU he can get the best out of.

newman 08-04-2008 12:56 PM

motec for sure!

OZY-323 08-04-2008 01:59 PM

i guess it is abit of a Holy war... any that are over rated?

bourbon 08-04-2008 02:06 PM

your best bet is go around and talk to your local tuners...see who uses what and see if they have done many BPT tunings...ask them how reliable they find their product to be and so on...

the way i see it...if you get a microtech you shall be fine, as well as the haltec and also the wolf3d...but then the other named ones will be harder to find a tuner and installer...

twilightprotege 09-04-2008 07:51 AM

you can get just as much power out of any ecu with the right tune, the only difference between the cheaper units such as the microtech vs motec is frilly extra's. at the end of the day, in reality, no one needs any thing more than a microtech

newman 18-04-2008 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twilightprotege (Post 162684)
at the end of the day, in reality, no one needs any thing more than a microtech

whats your highway fuel economy like with a mircrotech?

ROB-80E 18-04-2008 10:46 PM

I reckon mine would be as good as your's newman, even with 550cc injectors. Hwy economy again comes down to the tune of the cruise map and how much effort the tuner wants to put into doing it.

Obviosly someone who tunes race cars is going be better at making your car get the absolute maximum potential out of your engine, where as a street tuner will be best at doing exactly that.

I'm lucky enough to have my car tuned by someone who does both and gets damm good results at both.

So just to enforce the common misconception, you DON'T NEED CLOSED LOOP operation to get good fuel economy...just a tuner who know's what they are doing and will to put in the effort to cover all bases.

rodhog 18-04-2008 11:38 PM

ECU's - in terms of aftermarket varies alot

I was a big fan of microtech. But mainly due to cost and simpel function and tune.

but due to requirements of todays cars and effectivly - getting things legal

I've only found one ECU for the job at the right price and that's the ADAPTRONIC. it was developed by Car guys not Computer guys/ engineers

EMS for example make a great ECU in it's whole process stuff but not alot of people in the tunning game like to use it. See they dont' tune cars or understand who it should be done.

Motec and Autronic the two big guns are bang on both and it's why they cost so much.

Haltech have gotten better and better. In effect are the premium of Microtech.

If I was looking for one in a car I'm only driving every now and then don't need a good nice cold start up or A/C controls or electrical load control or purge valve control etc ( not that too many of us fitted our emiisson stuff up) Or even VVTI type setups. It's microtech all the way.
Especially like a modern motor into a old car.

but For newer cars, Microtech lets down the game compared to it's current compeditors in those areas.

It's all about cost and choice.

because not only does it in general cost more to wire up a ECu to it's full potenital it does take alot more to get it to tune.

Reason I like the auto tuning on autronic motec and the Adaptronic.

Adaptronic - I've only used it recently but it's going to replace my microtech and for no real reason then the Microtech I think it's MTX 8 or Mt 8. abotu 2 year old. Won't do what I need it to do.
Has done a good job.

Oh and as for economey.

Stock -****
unichip - better
microtech - even better.

newman 19-04-2008 09:41 AM

yeah rob, i know your economy is pretty flash. but you'd want it to be after a 6 hours tune ;)
i only raise the economy factor when looking at aftermarket ecus cause i do so much highway stuff. so obviously, i want to be getting the perfect balance between power and economy, without the motec pricetag.

I'm pretty sure you're the first person i've ever seen with a microtech to say they have good fuel economy. :) how's your cold start?

ROB-80E 19-04-2008 05:42 PM

Starts first go and idles...just low. Hot start is worse...may take a few cranks and different throttle positions to get it to kick over propperly. :oops: BPT's and RX7 550cc injectors don't work real good (spray pattern is a little too narrow). With the GTR injectors, everything was fine.

For the record, it was 4 hours! lol Not all of that was cruise tuning though, but i did stress i wanted the whole tune to be good.

The problem isn't necessarily the tuner, it's the customer. Most people don't want to pay for the time it takes to get a tune right on a setup...so all he does is get the most out of the engine and makes power, tune is cheap and the customer is then happy. But then he gets it home and winges. Or the opposite, winges that the tuner was WAY to expensive and then doesnt realise how trouble free the rest of his days are.

rodhog 19-04-2008 06:42 PM

Oh yeah Did I mention adaptronic has closed loop operation for highway tune. so you can run it lean on highway if you like?

But Rob you are totally right.

I leave my car for like 2 weeks full tank and tell them - drive around in it. So they can tune it and drive it around and tune it right up. THey also can get the best Cold start setup.

It's not so bad on a microtech which is what is great about them. You can't really go that wrong with a 8X8 table.
Plus unlike some of the more expensive ones you dont' have to worry about - added cold idle enrishment - water temp enrichment or air temp or what ever way you set it up.

I loved the Digi D5 back in the day Fuel only setups.

Newman you need adaptronic and with most functions running

www.adaptronic.com.au

have a look and a read. Another great aussie ECU, at the moment Not big street more in circuit I've seen. Of coruse it's how I know about it. What I love is it will run VVTI so in future if my I get bug it will run newer mazda engines for me.

twilightprotege 19-04-2008 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newman (Post 163487)
whats your highway fuel economy like with a mircrotech?

better than stock. i get around 750-760k's from a 55L tank

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROB-80E (Post 163488)
you DON'T NEED CLOSED LOOP operation to get good fuel economy...just a tuner who know's what they are doing and will to put in the effort to cover all bases.

couldnt agree more

Quote:

Originally Posted by rodhog (Post 163489)
but For newer cars, Microtech lets down the game compared to it's current compeditors in those areas.

in certain points yes, but that's where you can get smart - my microtech, and the other sp20's we've done essentially make the microtech a piggy back. it looks after fuel and ignition, the stock ecu does the rest (like idle control).

Quote:

Originally Posted by newman (Post 163501)
i only raise the economy factor when looking at aftermarket ecus cause i do so much highway stuff. so obviously, i want to be getting the perfect balance between power and economy, without the motec pricetag.

another common misconception about tunes. you can EASILY have a tune where you are getting max power and getting max economy. why? for max power you're at wide open throttle and on boost (if applicable). tune those areas of the maps for max power. when you're cruising you're at part throttle, and in my case around 15"Hg, so i tune those areas on the leaner side to get good economy. doesnt effect power as i dont need it there, and the power doesnt effect the cruise economy

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROB-80E (Post 163533)
Starts first go and idles...just low

a trick i use is to use the t*wat to add timing at low engine temps

I would like to add i'm not a fan at all of closed loop control or self learning. at the end of the day, you're spending money to get control of the engine, but you're then giving it straight back to the computer. self learning is a good idea, but i wouldnt trust it that much. and closed loop is just a wank factor imo. have a good tune and why have it?

rodhog 20-04-2008 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twilightprotege (Post 163540)
I would like to add i'm not a fan at all of closed loop control or self learning. at the end of the day, you're spending money to get control of the engine, but you're then giving it straight back to the computer. self learning is a good idea, but i wouldnt trust it that much. and closed loop is just a wank factor imo. have a good tune and why have it?

Self learning aids in tuning time - alot. It's a big advanatge for a workshop.
But also if your trying a new combo.

Piggybackng is nice but I like the ECU to control the lot. But then again I don't like how new cars have everything running into it. From ABS to HVC.
Piggy backign is the only choice then.

But as for closed loop. It's must in NSW, for legality reasons.
Every car I know driven to the EPA test for legal testing to either get certified or pass defects. Has all failed on most aftermarket ECU's.
It's only the smart ones who have gotten away.
Most 90% will have to detune car totally.

Laws I know aint' as strick in QLD.

but here closed loop and running it up on the test aids Big time. Every car I know that has run closed loop has passed.
Because the majority of tersting is done for idel and crusie, on the rolling road. WOT is not tested as much.

It's a massive thing for rotarys or lumpy - large overlap cars.

Sure it don't effect fuel economy much but, if you can set it up - lock it out etc done keep EPA happy. Your the one who's going to be happy.

Plus in NSW it's getting tighter and harder.

Not so bad for a old car like mine, A simple Unichip would make it pass better then stock.
But newer models are burning so much cleaner, it's getting very hard make things legal.

It's said the EPA - defected a a 2 year old holden Commodore - not for air bags - not for wheels but for a dead CAT converter. Only had a cat back. This was on recent defeact station setup.

S373N 18-10-2010 09:35 AM

sorry for bumping old post but are the bp26 ecus as easy to tune as the aftermarket microtechs and such?

70NYD 18-10-2010 09:49 AM

no.. AFAIK its really not easy, or possible to tune a OEM ecu without piggy back ecu.. thats y ppl get aftermarket.

project.r.racing 18-10-2010 01:25 PM

the bp26 ecu is not tuneable at all.

S373N 18-10-2010 02:05 PM

settled. cheers