AstinaGT Forums

AstinaGT Forums (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Performance & General Maintenance (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   2002 Mazda 323 astina clutch issues (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21777)

jeffygotjetpack 23-03-2015 05:27 PM

2002 Mazda 323 astina clutch issues

Hi all,

I'm currently experiencing issues with my clutch slipping, I've had the clutch replaced, fly wheel machined, new master and slave cylinder, the flex hose replaced and the fluid flushed and replaced. Yet, the problem still exists. The clutch doesn't slip straight away, it is a slow build up, I can feel the clutch releasing higher up the pedal which each gear change.

Has anyone experienced the same issue? Or have any ideas what the problem could be? My mechanic and I have spoken to the several clutch reps with no prevail.

Thanks in advance

- Jef

JDM323 23-03-2015 06:38 PM

pressure plate?

jeffygotjetpack 23-03-2015 06:48 PM

It's been replaced.

project.r.racing 23-03-2015 07:17 PM

can you explain the symptoms in better detail? i don't really understand.

jeffygotjetpack 23-03-2015 07:26 PM

I'll try to explain it as best as I can.
Currently my clutch is releasing at the very top of the pedal travel, which after a small drive my clutch slips every time I accelerate. To fix this my mechanic releases pressure off the slave cylinder (which has been replaced), this makes my clutch release at the lower end of the pedal travel (normal release point), as I am driving and changing gears, the release point of the clutch becomes higher up the pedal travel.

I hope this makes sense.

project.r.racing 23-03-2015 07:32 PM

the first bit makes sense, and leads to a pressure plate issue. maybe even incorrect pressure plate used.

the second bit with varying release points i have nil answer for.

Old Grey 27-03-2015 08:48 AM

Maybe air in the hyd system expanding with heat.

Diaphragm pressure plates work like a umbrella in the wind. If they are over-compressed they flick the other way, and the pressure reduces when there is not enough gap for the clutch plate stack.

Check the step between the flywheel clutch face and the flywheel pressure plate mounting post is not smaller than std.
Check if the clutch disk is thicker.
Check the step between the pressure plate clutch face and the mounting flange is not more than std.

Check the the throw out bearing is not hooked up and can return all the way back. If it doesn't it may be riding on the PP constantly.

Old Grey 27-03-2015 11:01 AM

Conversely, if the gap got bigger compared to the clutch plate stack, the pressure would also reduce.

Maybe the flywheel was ground only on the clutch face, and not the posts that support the PP.

Moobs 03-04-2015 03:41 PM

i had a very similar problem in my old aw11 mr2
it could be the clutch rod and freeplay not adjusted properly
so as u drive the fluid heat up pushing against the pedal but if u dont have enough freeplay it could push the other way against the pressure plate slightly causing slip
try backing off the clutch pedal stopper bolt and see if it helps