View Single Post
Old 09-07-2006, 09:10 PM   #55
LordWorm

Car: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo Dude
Settle down.

I have an opinion that differs from yours and I have had three days of fun leading you on.

You have provided some useful information but it is based on a premise that I personally don’t agree with and in some ways could be considered contradictory.

No hard feelings

Cosmo
No hard feelings taken.

The reason i posted so much info about it was to inform the missinformed. I'm by no means a super exhaust expert, but i have taken words from those who are, and read lots of interesting stuff about how it all works - learnt alot along the way. Like you, I had the same feeling abotu backpressure. The more of it the more torque, the better the car runs, no chance of valve burnthrough blah blah blah.....

But in the face of hard facts, it really doesnt stack up. Going back and reading pages of backpressure proponants, you start to see they are speaking gobbledgook that'd make you believe that exhaust technology is some black art of alchemy with no real science behind it - because try as they might, they cannot explain why backpressure is good, how to tune it, how much is required, and what exactly it is meant to be doing.

In an NA application, backpressure is the enemy of power... there are far better ways to get power at desired RPM (by increasing velocity through means other than small pipes).

when you start talking FI...its a different kettle of fish...something I know very little about.... TERRA Operative should be able to help out here.. but i'd assume the principle would remain the same (even though you are compressing the air in the combustion chamber so who cares if a little bit of residual exhaust gas from the last power stroke is there...).

Do some research - have a look around. The maths etc behind it are in plain sight on the net.... If once you've seen all the arguments you are still thinking backpressure is a way to go... by all means, i'll be waiting here with potato in hand =)

Need parts? Contact sales@b3motorsports.com
LordWorm is offline   Reply With Quote