View Single Post
Old 23-07-2011, 03:57 PM   #7
Sleepy Gonzalez
AstinaGT Regular

Car: 2002 Mazda 323 Astina 2.5 V6 manual
I've found the HPX pads to be quite ok for my street driving and occaisional trip to the hills or car control course. Note this is with speeds 50-100kph in 2nd gear tight twisties, not higher speed track driving. Interestingly, an MX5 with EBC Green Stuff, and a modded R33 GTS25T with upgraded brakes(can't remember what) were nowhere near keeping up with the humble 1.8 Astina on a particular favorite road, and both had fading, smoking brakes at the end. The Astina was fine with no fading or smoking. I don't know why the difference. Maybe the amount of engine braking at high rpm in 2nd gear takes a lot of load off the brakes. The tyres, however, end up pretty rough with little melted blobs of rubber all over them. Anyway, the point is HPX should be fine for aggressive street. So was OEM in my case, for that matter.

They do dust more than OEM and start chucking lumps of dust on the wheels when pushed bit, but not bad at all. I've also found that if they are NOT used hard enough for a week or 2, they start squeeling at low speed and pressure. Another bedding in run or trip to the hills fixes that.

Slotted rotors look cool, but I can't really say I've noticed any difference in performance. They are starting to pulse a bit lately (like they might be warping), haven't checked why yet.
Enkei RPF1 15x7, Yokohama Advan Neova AD08 205/50 R15, RDA slotted rotors, HPX pads.

SOLD
Sleepy Gonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote